Re: 1.3 release

dmazzoni
I checked in some fixes for Mac OS X this weekend, and spent some
time using Audacity 1.3.

In general, things work fine.  Here are a couple of bugs I found:

* Generate is incorrectly being applied to all tracks, not the
selected one.  Probably an easy fix.

* Multi-clip support: it doesn't seem to be possible to drag a clip
marked from position A to position B, in the diagram below;

   Track 1   AAAAAAAAAAA  XXX
   Track 2   XXX

   Track 1                XXX
   Track 2   XXX  BBBBBBBBBBB

Shouldn't this be possible?

* My new selection bar seems to display correctly, but doesn't let
you set values.  I will work on this.

- Dominic

Re: 1.3 release

edgar-rft
[hidden email] schrieb am 10.05.05 10:17:51:

> I checked in some fixes for Mac OS X this weekend, and spent some
> time using Audacity 1.3.
>
> In general, things work fine.  Here are a couple of bugs I found:
>
> * Generate is incorrectly being applied to all tracks, not the
> selected one.  Probably an easy fix.
>
> * Multi-clip support: it doesn't seem to be possible to drag a clip
> marked from position A to position B, in the diagram below;
>
>    Track 1   AAAAAAAAAAA  XXX
>    Track 2   XXX
>
>    Track 1                XXX
>    Track 2   XXX  BBBBBBBBBBB
>
> Shouldn't this be possible?
>
> * My new selection bar seems to display correctly, but doesn't let
> you set values.  I will work on this.
>
> - Dominic

Please excuse but I just remember: there are some people in the german
audacity support forum who report that recording is not possible under
OS X 1.4 (Tiger) with Audacity 1.2.3. Is there anything known about this ?

Maybe it's already known or fixed and only I don't know because I myself
am still working under OS X 10.3.9 where Audacity works (but still except
the vst-enabler) so I'm unfortunately unable to reproduce this.

Thank you - [hidden email] (german translator)

Re: 1.3 release

Anthony J. Reno
I have had no problems.
I installed 10.4 and Audacity 1.2.3 recording as usual.

-Tony

On 11 May 2005, at 7:34 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [hidden email] schrieb am 10.05.05 10:17:51:
>

>> I checked in some fixes for Mac OS X this weekend, and spent some
>> time using Audacity 1.3.
>>
>> In general, things work fine.  Here are a couple of bugs I found:
>>
>> * Generate is incorrectly being applied to all tracks, not the
>> selected one.  Probably an easy fix.
>>
>> * Multi-clip support: it doesn't seem to be possible to drag a clip
>> marked from position A to position B, in the diagram below;
>>
>>    Track 1   AAAAAAAAAAA  XXX
>>    Track 2   XXX
>>
>>    Track 1                XXX
>>    Track 2   XXX  BBBBBBBBBBB
>>
>> Shouldn't this be possible?
>>
>> * My new selection bar seems to display correctly, but doesn't let
>> you set values.  I will work on this.
>>
>> - Dominic
>>

> Please excuse but I just remember: there are some people in the german
> audacity support forum who report that recording is not possible under
> OS X 1.4 (Tiger) with Audacity 1.2.3. Is there anything known about
> this ?
>
> Maybe it's already known or fixed and only I don't know because I
> myself
> am still working under OS X 10.3.9 where Audacity works (but still
> except
> the vst-enabler) so I'm unfortunately unable to reproduce this.
>
> Thank you - [hidden email] (german translator)

__________________________________
Anthony J. Reno
Technical Operations - Hong Kong
852 2101 9222 Phone
852 2866 7918 Fax
[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION
This e-mail message is intended only for the use of the addressee and
may
contain information that is privileged and confidential. Any
unauthorized
dissemination, distribution, or copying is strictly prohibited. If you
receive this transmission in error, please contact: [hidden email]

Visit us at www.rfa.org or www.techweb.rfa.org

Re: 1.3 release

edgar-rft
[hidden email] schrieb am 11.05.05 01:43:56:

> I have had no problems.
> I installed 10.4 and Audacity 1.2.3 recording as usual.
>
> -Tony

Please excuse (a second time), I just searched the archives and
the problem seems to be with USB Soundcards *only* (Griffin
imic etc. - Most of them on iBooks). The same people report that
all other audio software works with those cards under OS X 10.4.

Also starting and closing garage band (a standard mac trick to
remove all audio drivers) doesn't help. The same with deleting
the property lists and preferences - also no effect.

Can anybody help ?

thank you - [hidden email]

> > [hidden email] - 10.05.05 10:17:51:
> >

> >> I checked in some fixes for Mac OS X this weekend, and spent some
> >> time using Audacity 1.3.
> >>
> >> In general, things work fine.  Here are a couple of bugs I found:
> >>
> >> * Generate is incorrectly being applied to all tracks, not the
> >> selected one.  Probably an easy fix.
> >>
> >> * Multi-clip support: it doesn't seem to be possible to drag a clip
> >> marked from position A to position B, in the diagram below;
> >>
> >>    Track 1   AAAAAAAAAAA  XXX
> >>    Track 2   XXX
> >>
> >>    Track 1                XXX
> >>    Track 2   XXX  BBBBBBBBBBB
> >>
> >> Shouldn't this be possible?
> >>
> >> * My new selection bar seems to display correctly, but doesn't let
> >> you set values.  I will work on this.
> >>
> >> - Dominic
> >>

> On 11 May 2005, at 7:34 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Please excuse but I just remember: there are some people in the german
> > audacity support forum who report that recording is not possible under
> > OS X 1.4 (Tiger) with Audacity 1.2.3. Is there anything known about
> > this ?
> >
> > Maybe it's already known or fixed and only I don't know because I
> > myself
> > am still working under OS X 10.3.9 where Audacity works (but still
> > except
> > the vst-enabler) so I'm unfortunately unable to reproduce this.
> >
> > Thank you - [hidden email] (german translator)

> __________________________________
> Anthony J. Reno
> Technical Operations - Hong Kong
> 852 2101 9222 Phone
> 852 2866 7918 Fax

Re: 1.3 release

Anthony J. Reno
As far as I am concerned the iMic from Griffin never worked (10.2
-10.4) Audacity 1.2.3
You can record, but the audio has so many artifacts that it is useless.

I would love it if this was fixed.

Thanks,
Tony

__________________________________
Anthony J. Reno
Technical Operations - Hong Kong
852 2101 9222 Phone
852 2866 7918 Fax
[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION
This e-mail message is intended only for the use of the addressee and
may
contain information that is privileged and confidential. Any
unauthorized
dissemination, distribution, or copying is strictly prohibited. If you
receive this transmission in error, please contact: [hidden email]

Visit us at www.rfa.org or www.techweb.rfa.org

Re: 1.3 release

edgar-rft
Funny: In Germany we *never* had problems with Griffin iMic
exept under OS X 10.4. (under OS X 10.3 it works)

Often it helps if you simply delete everything that has to do with
audacity from [user]/library/preferences/ and start audacity
over again (no reinstall). In Germany this had helped a lot to
solve "mysterious" problems (This is a compatibility issue from
apple with the "old" OS 9 and below and is not a bug of audacity).

edgar

_

> Anthony J. Reno
> Technical Operations - Hong Kong
> 852 2101 9222 Phone
> 852 2866 7918 Fax
> [hidden email]
>
> CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION
> This e-mail message is intended only for the use of the addressee and
> may
> contain information that is privileged and confidential. Any
> unauthorized
> dissemination, distribution, or copying is strictly prohibited. If you
> receive this transmission in error, please contact: [hidden email]
>
> Visit us at www.rfa.org or www.techweb.rfa.org

Click to restart playing position

Glenn Engel
One of the features I miss in 1.2.3 is the ability to control real-time where the playback position is.  I have another program where I can click anywhere on the waveform when playing back and the playback automatically jumps to that spot.  This is *very* nice when you're looking for a specific section of a recording or when you want to repeat a section over to listen for artifacts in a specific spot.

If the 1.3 version doesn't have this feature I might look into adding this myself.  Any suggestions or insight into this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Glenn

Re: 1.3 release

dmazzoni
On May 10, 2005, at 7:32 PM, Anthony J. Reno wrote:
> As far as I am concerned the iMic from Griffin never worked (10.2
> -10.4) Audacity 1.2.3
> You can record, but the audio has so many artifacts that it is
> useless.
>
> I would love it if this was fixed.

Really?  I've used my iMic before, and it hasn't caused me any
problems.  Are there really quality problems that you see with
Audacity but not with other editors?  Can you send a sample of the
same song, as recorded by Audacity, and as recorded by a different tool?

- Dominic

> Thanks,
> Tony
>

> On 11 May 2005, at 9:06 AM, <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>> [hidden email] schrieb am 11.05.05 01:43:56:
>>

>>> I have had no problems.
>>> I installed 10.4 and Audacity 1.2.3 recording as usual.
>>>
>>> -Tony
>>>

>> Please excuse (a second time), I just searched the archives and
>> the problem seems to be with USB Soundcards *only* (Griffin
>> imic etc. - Most of them on iBooks). The same people report that
>> all other audio software works with those cards under OS X 10.4.
>>
>> Also starting and closing garage band (a standard mac trick to
>> remove all audio drivers) doesn't help. The same with deleting
>> the property lists and preferences - also no effect.
>>
>> Can anybody help ?
>>
>> thank you - [hidden email]

>>> __________________________________
>>> Anthony J. Reno
>>> Technical Operations - Hong Kong
>>> 852 2101 9222 Phone
>>> 852 2866 7918 Fax

> __________________________________
> Anthony J. Reno
> Technical Operations - Hong Kong
> 852 2101 9222 Phone
> 852 2866 7918 Fax
> [hidden email]
>
> CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION
> This e-mail message is intended only for the use of the addressee
> and may
> contain information that is privileged and confidential. Any
> unauthorized
> dissemination, distribution, or copying is strictly prohibited. If you
> receive this transmission in error, please contact: [hidden email]
>
> Visit us at www.rfa.org or www.techweb.rfa.org

Re: 1.3 release

Anthony J. Reno
Yes, I will do that.
GarageBand sounds great, but the same in Audacity is best described
as "fuzzy"

On 12 May 2005, at 2:56 PM, Dominic Mazzoni wrote:

> On May 10, 2005, at 7:32 PM, Anthony J. Reno wrote:
>
>> As far as I am concerned the iMic from Griffin never worked (10.2
>> -10.4) Audacity 1.2.3
>> You can record, but the audio has so many artifacts that it is
>> useless.
>>
>> I would love it if this was fixed.
>>

> Really?  I've used my iMic before, and it hasn't caused me any
> problems.  Are there really quality problems that you see with
> Audacity but not with other editors?  Can you send a sample of the
> same song, as recorded by Audacity, and as recorded by a different
> tool?
>
> - Dominic
>

>> Thanks,
>> Tony
>>

>> On 11 May 2005, at 9:06 AM, <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> Please excuse (a second time), I just searched the archives and
>>> the problem seems to be with USB Soundcards *only* (Griffin
>>> imic etc. - Most of them on iBooks). The same people report that
>>> all other audio software works with those cards under OS X 10.4.
>>>
>>> Also starting and closing garage band (a standard mac trick to
>>> remove all audio drivers) doesn't help. The same with deleting
>>> the property lists and preferences - also no effect.
>>>
>>> Can anybody help ?
>>>
>>> thank you - [hidden email]

>> __________________________________
>> Anthony J. Reno
>> Technical Operations - Hong Kong
>> 852 2101 9222 Phone
>> 852 2866 7918 Fax
>> [hidden email]
>>
>> CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION
>> This e-mail message is intended only for the use of the addressee
>> and may
>> contain information that is privileged and confidential. Any
>> unauthorized
>> dissemination, distribution, or copying is strictly prohibited. If
>> you
>> receive this transmission in error, please contact: [hidden email]
>>
>> Visit us at www.rfa.org or www.techweb.rfa.org

__________________________________
Anthony J. Reno
Technical Operations - Hong Kong
852 2101 9222 Phone
852 2866 7918 Fax
[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION
This e-mail message is intended only for the use of the addressee and
may
contain information that is privileged and confidential. Any
unauthorized
dissemination, distribution, or copying is strictly prohibited. If you
receive this transmission in error, please contact: [hidden email]

Visit us at www.rfa.org or www.techweb.rfa.org

Re: 1.3 release

Anthony J. Reno
Hello,

I tested some more and got rid of the noise.  It is a reoccurring
thing with Audicty.
It seems when I choose the iMic in Audacity's preferences, it
switches the System preference on the input (using the Mac OS X Util
Audio/Midi Setup) to 1 channel 8-bit.
When I change that to 1 channel 16-bit the noise disappears.  If I
make changes in the Audcity preferences later it will switch back to
8-bit.  Is there any way to prevent this?

Tony

Anthony J. Reno wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I tested some more and got rid of the noise.  It is a reoccurring  thing
> with Audicty.
> It seems when I choose the iMic in Audacity's preferences, it  switches
> the System preference on the input (using the Mac OS X Util  Audio/Midi
> Setup) to 1 channel 8-bit.
> When I change that to 1 channel 16-bit the noise disappears.  If I  make
> changes in the Audcity preferences later it will switch back to  8-bit.
> Is there any way to prevent this?

OK, that definitely explains the problem.  The iMic driver is the only one
I've heard of to "default" to 8-bit 1-channel every time you open it.
Audacity is certainly not telling it to reset, in fact Audacity (well, my
PortAudio code) tries hard to not modify the audio device.

I thought I had fixed this in Audacity 1.2.3 (in my latest patches to
PortAudio), but apparently not.

I have definitely fixed this in my own copy of portaudio v19, which is
unfortunately not quite finished overall.  But this will be released in a
future version of Audacity 1.3.

In the meantime, we should explain the problem and the workaround.
Someone want to create a wiki page on it?

- Dominic

> Tony
>

> On 12 May 2005, at 2:56 PM, Dominic Mazzoni wrote:
>
>> On May 10, 2005, at 7:32 PM, Anthony J. Reno wrote:
>>
>>> As far as I am concerned the iMic from Griffin never worked (10.2
>>> -10.4) Audacity 1.2.3
>>> You can record, but the audio has so many artifacts that it is  useless.
>>>
>>> I would love it if this was fixed.
>>>

>> Really?  I've used my iMic before, and it hasn't caused me any
>> problems.  Are there really quality problems that you see with
>> Audacity but not with other editors?  Can you send a sample of the
>> same song, as recorded by Audacity, and as recorded by a different  tool?
>>
>> - Dominic
>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> Tony

>>> __________________________________
>>> Anthony J. Reno
>>> Technical Operations - Hong Kong
>>> 852 2101 9222 Phone
>>> 852 2866 7918 Fax
>>> [hidden email]
>>>
>>> CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION
>>> This e-mail message is intended only for the use of the addressee
>>> and may
>>> contain information that is privileged and confidential. Any
>>> unauthorized
>>> dissemination, distribution, or copying is strictly prohibited. If  you
>>> receive this transmission in error, please contact: [hidden email]
>>>
>>> Visit us at www.rfa.org or www.techweb.rfa.org

> __________________________________
> Anthony J. Reno
> Technical Operations - Hong Kong
> 852 2101 9222 Phone
> 852 2866 7918 Fax
> [hidden email]
>
> CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION
> This e-mail message is intended only for the use of the addressee and  may
> contain information that is privileged and confidential. Any  unauthorized
> dissemination, distribution, or copying is strictly prohibited. If you
> receive this transmission in error, please contact: [hidden email]
>
> Visit us at www.rfa.org or www.techweb.rfa.org

Re: 1.3 release

Alexandre Prokoudine
On 4/28/05, Markus Meyer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> what are the chances for a 1.3 release in the next few weeks? I have
> finished my exams now so I'd have some time on my hand to work on this.
> IMHO the 1.3.0 release should be only a kind of "development preview",
> and no feature freeze should take place until some later time (probably
> 1.3.2 or so).

Do I still need to update my user guide in Russian for post-1.2.3-CVS,
while you are planning to release 1.3.0? :)

Alexandre

Re: 1.3 release

Vaughan Johnson
Dominic Mazzoni wrote:

> * My new selection bar seems to display correctly, but doesn't let
> you set values.  I will work on this.

That's working for me, but the zoom buttons are not. They're
enabled/disabled correctly, but don't do anything. Likewise,
ctrl-mousewheel doesn't work. The corresponding menu commands work okay.

BTW, I shortened the names of the "Set Left/Right Selection at Playback
Position" commands and made them menu commands, in the Edit "Select..."
submenu, for the sake of discoverability.

For me, the meters height is wrong if I open in maximized mode -- it's
the full height of the toolbars area, so it overdraws the input/output
level controls.

-Vaughan

Re: 1.3 release

Richard Ash (audacity-help)
Dominic Mazzoni said:
> OK, that definitely explains the problem.  The iMic driver is the only one
> I've heard of to "default" to 8-bit 1-channel every time you open it.
> Audacity is certainly not telling it to reset, in fact Audacity (well, my
> PortAudio code) tries hard to not modify the audio device.

> In the meantime, we should explain the problem and the workaround.
> Someone want to create a wiki page on it?
There has been one up for quite a long time:
  http://www.audacityteam.org/wiki/index.pl?MacBugs

Richard Ash

Re: 1.3 release

Alexandre Prokoudine
On 5/10/05, Dominic Mazzoni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> * My new selection bar seems to display correctly, but doesn't let
> you set values.  I will work on this.

Could you please also fix non-appearance of translated messages in
selection bar?

E.g. I do have translated messages like "h00m00-00s", but they still
appear in English. And "Audio position" isn't even present in
audacity.pot (which should be a trivial gettextization fix, though).

Alexandre

Menu options

Shane Mueller

> BTW, I shortened the names of the "Set Left/Right Selection at Playback
> Position" commands and made them menu commands, in the Edit "Select..."
> submenu, for the sake of discoverability.

I intentionally left these out of the menus, because they only work
while playback is occurring, and it is pretty near impossible to time
you navigation through a menu system to work well during playback.
Also, like a number of keyboard shortcuts, they are only discoverable
through the preferences.  By adding them to the 'select' submenu, it
increases the size of the menu by 66%, which probably at a increases the
time to use anything in that menu by up to the same amount.  By the same
token, I find the 'Align' submenus impossible to use because there are
so many options--I just know that I always choose the first one in the
submenu and it does what I want.  It seems that many/all could be
removed from the menu if were to make the drag tool 'magnetic' toward
selection bounds, for instance.  Although these functions are probably
most useful for blind users, so it would be nice to keep the shortcuts
active.

For the record, here is a list of menu options I think could stand
eliminating/reducing/rethinking.  This is just my opinion, and don't be
offended if I suggest your favorite menu item should disappear, but an
abundance of menu options really does disorient beginners and gets in
the way of even experienced users. If there are any candidates people
concur with, I might find time to implement them.  Seriously, some of
the menu options have probably never been used by anyone, even with a
million downloads:

File Menu:  All  Export and Export as... options.  I would like to see a
single export dialog which handles all of this.  I realize this is not
an opinion shared by all, as I had once worked on a new export system
based on this idea that didn't generate much excitement amongst
others.

File Menu: Dump 'Page setup'  (already exists in the print dialog)

Edit Menu: Possibly move all selection based stuff into a 'select' menu
as seen in other programs; move them out of submenus, and get rid of the
ones that are not too useful.

Edit Menu: Snap-to|Snap-to on/Snap-to off.  This just seems wrong to be
a menu option.  Maybe it could be moved to a check box on the selection
bar.

View Menu:  Reduce the zoom options by 2 or 3.  These are already
keyboard shortcuts, plus there are three additional zooming methods
available (the zoom tool, the zoom buttons, and ctrl-scrollbar). Do we
really need five ways to zoom? (I'd also be in favor of getting rid of
the zoom tool, but there is probably little harm in keeping it there,
and I'm sure people do use it in some situations).

View Menu: Float Meter toolbar.  This needs to be fixed to reflect the
state of the toolbar, and if possible removed entirely.

View Menu: History.  Move to Edit menu near undo/redo and call it 'Undo
History'

Project Menu: Import options: Consider moving to or duplicate in File
menu.
Project Menu: Import MIDI:  Remove until we support real midi.
Project Menu: Remove Tracks:  Change to 'Remove Track'
Project Menu: Align.  Reduce to 1 or two options (to zero and with
cursor). There are too many to think about, and the reasonable
multi-clip support gets rid of many of the reasons to have them there.

Project Menu: Align and Move Cursor.  Get rid of them them all. The
concept of moving a clip without moving the selection might be useful,
but why not just make those samples a different clip?  If truly deemed
necessary, we might be able to devise a 'lock selection to clip' mode or
markers that are bound to sample positions rather than timeline
positions.

Generate/Effect/Analyze.  I think these need serious reworking, although
I think the current version is logical, it is difficult to use
(something I take partial blame for).  The 'analyze' menu has only ever
had two plugins for me, and one is a demo.  This, at least, should be
folded into the 'effect' menu.  I also think that there should either be
a strong comprehensible hierarchy, or we should just load a few popular
effects in the effects menu with another option 'Other effects...' that
launches a dialog effects browser that possibly gives descriptions of
effects and allows one to set keyboard shortcuts and add select
favorites to add to the menu.  Given that this is a complex undertaking,
I would settle for getting rid of Analyze.

Help:  Run benchmark.  Get rid of it. Hide it. If necessary, move it to
a preferences dialog.  I suppose it isn't in the released compiled
versions, so this is just me nitpicking.

Comments?

Re: Menu options

Alexandre Prokoudine
Shanem you did exactly what I was planning to do :)

On 5/13/05, Shane Mueller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> File Menu:  All  Export and Export as... options.  I would like to see a
> single export dialog which handles all of this.

Requested by me about half a year ago, even discussed, but not implemented :(

> File Menu: Dump 'Page setup'  (already exists in the print dialog)

agreed

> Edit Menu: Possibly move all selection based stuff into a 'select' menu
> as seen in other programs; move them out of submenus, and get rid of the
> ones that are not too useful.

agreed

> Edit Menu: Snap-to|Snap-to on/Snap-to off.  This just seems wrong to be
> a menu option.  Maybe it could be moved to a check box on the selection
> bar.

proposed several hours ago by me as well :)

> View Menu:  Reduce the zoom options by 2 or 3.  These are already
> keyboard shortcuts, plus there are three additional zooming methods
> available (the zoom tool, the zoom buttons, and ctrl-scrollbar). Do we
> really need five ways to zoom?

the golden usability rule is to have all buttons from toolbars in menu as well.

> View Menu: Float Meter toolbar.  This needs to be fixed to reflect the
> state of the toolbar, and if possible removed entirely.

Not saying that the finest place for that toolbar is rather vertically
aligned to the right.

> View Menu: History.  Move to Edit menu near undo/redo and call it 'Undo
> History'

Ouch, you want to help people undo history like in "1984" by Orwell? :))

Personally, I would like to see it as a detachable sidebar.

> Project Menu: Import options: Consider moving to or duplicate in File
> menu.

I would suggest an "Import" submenu in File menu

> Project Menu: Import MIDI:  Remove until we support real midi.

vote++

> Project Menu: Remove Tracks:  Change to 'Remove Track'

agreed

> Project Menu: Align.  Reduce to 1 or two options (to zero and with
> cursor). There are too many to think about, and the reasonable
> multi-clip support gets rid of many of the reasons to have them there.

not really sure, because it provides automatic alignment, while manual
alignment may be not that fine and precise

> Project Menu: Align and Move Cursor.  Get rid of them them all. The
> concept of moving a clip without moving the selection might be useful,
> but why not just make those samples a different clip?  If truly deemed
> necessary, we might be able to devise a 'lock selection to clip' mode or
> markers that are bound to sample positions rather than timeline
> positions.

agreed

> (something I take partial blame for).  The 'analyze' menu has only ever
> had two plugins for me, and one is a demo.  This, at least, should be
> folded into the 'effect' menu.  I also think that there should either be
> a strong comprehensible hierarchy, or we should just load a few popular
> effects in the effects menu with another option 'Other effects...' that
> launches a dialog effects browser that possibly gives descriptions of
> effects and allows one to set keyboard shortcuts and add select
> favorites to add to the menu.  Given that this is a complex undertaking,
> I would settle for getting rid of Analyze.

I still vote for having a separate Analyze menu, where Plot spectrum
and other things of that kind would go to

> Help:  Run benchmark.  Get rid of it. Hide it. If necessary, move it to
> a preferences dialog.

agreed for removing it from Help menu, but preferences dialog is not
the best place. it's a bad usability practice to open one dialog from
another, especially from Preferences dialog.

Alexandre

Re: Menu options

Greg Mekkes

--- Shane Mueller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ... By the same
> token, I find the 'Align' submenus impossible to use because there are
> so many options--I just know that I always choose the first one in the
> submenu and it does what I want.  It seems that many/all could be
> removed from the menu if were to make the drag tool 'magnetic' toward
> selection bounds, for instance.  Although these functions are probably
> most useful for blind users, so it would be nice to keep the shortcuts
> active.

Maybe I'm the only one who actively uses all the align functions, but
that's why I wrote them all and put them in.  There are scenarios where
each of the different flavors of align can be very useful.  I'm not blind,
but do find them useful.  If I'm the only one thinking this way, then just
go with the main train of thought and do what needs to be done.

> Edit Menu: Snap-to|Snap-to on/Snap-to off.  This just seems wrong to be
> a menu option.  Maybe it could be moved to a check box on the selection
> bar.

Sorry, that was just the simplest way to implement it at the time.
What you are suggesting was along the line of what I had in mind
originally and would be an improvement.

> Project Menu: Align and Move Cursor.  Get rid of them them all. The
> concept of moving a clip without moving the selection might be useful,
> but why not just make those samples a different clip?  If truly deemed
> necessary, we might be able to devise a 'lock selection to clip' mode or
> markers that are bound to sample positions rather than timeline
> positions.

Yikes, see above comments.  However, the concept of locking selection
to clip or not locking to clip could potentially be all the same
functionality that there is now, just presented in a different way.

> Comments?

Just on some of them.

Greg Mekkes

Yahoo! Mail

Re: Menu options

Vaughan Johnson
Aaah, the tarpit of UI discussions. :-)

Shane Mueller wrote:

>>BTW, I shortened the names of the "Set Left/Right Selection at Playback
>>Position" commands and made them menu commands, in the Edit "Select..."
>>submenu, for the sake of discoverability.
>>

>I intentionally left these out of the menus, because they only work
>while playback is occurring, and it is pretty near impossible to time
>you navigation through a menu system to work well during playback.
>Also, like a number of keyboard shortcuts, they are only discoverable
>through the preferences.

Well, they work during recording and pause, too. Absolutely, you can't
negotiate the menu fast enough to accurately change the cursor while
it's playing/recording, but can easily with pause. With the commands in
the menu, you can discover the keyboard shortcuts, and those work great
while playing/recording. I believe (from recent discussion on
audacity-users) these are commands that lots of users will want, and
should be very discoverable.

I think the seventh tab in the Prefs dialog is at best the distant
outskirts of discoverability, and this is supported by all the questions
on audacity-help about keyboard shortcuts. Also, that prefs tab doesn't
show which are menu commands and which are hidden, so you have to look
through the whole list to see what commands are not in menus. I don't
think many people would guess that's a possibility. I didn't, at first
-- I thought that tab was just for setting shortcuts for menu commands,
and I didn't know there were any non-menu commands.

I fully understand that huge and complicated menus can be a problem, but
I'd rather have everything visible somewhere the average user would
think to look. We talked previously about different ~skins of levels of
sophistication, so beginners aren't overwhelmed. I don't think
Microsoft's "Personalized Menus", showing only most recently used
commands, is a good solution. Frankly, I don't like hidden commands in
general and for my skin, I'd have all commands in menus.

>By adding them to the 'select' submenu, it
>increases the size of the menu by 66%, which probably at a increases the
>time to use anything in that menu by up to the same amount.  By the same
>token, I find the 'Align' submenus impossible to use because there are
>so many options--I just know that I always choose the first one in the
>submenu and it does what I want.  It seems that many/all could be
>removed from the menu if were to make the drag tool 'magnetic' toward
>selection bounds, for instance.  Although these functions are probably
>most useful for blind users, so it would be nice to keep the shortcuts
>active.

I very much doubt that going from 3 to 5 commands in the submenu
increases the search time by 66%, and more importantly, who ever uses,
e.g., Select All from the menu once they know the keyboard shortcut? My
point being, you learn the shortcuts for commands that you use, and the
more you know, the less you use the menus at all.

I rarely use the Align commands (thanks to Matt's latency-correction
code I don't usually have to!), but don't find them intrusive because
they're mostly in submenus, which I guess is my favorite solution to
long menus. However, they do cost extra time to navigate, so I think the
threshold for gathering into a submenu should be more like 5 subitems
rather than 3.

BTW, I believe the standard is to use ellipsis for a menu command that
invokes a dialog box, and the right-pointing triangle for submenus, so
we should remove the ellipsis from submenu headers. Right?

>For the record, here is a list of menu options I think could stand
>eliminating/reducing/rethinking.  This is just my opinion, and don't be
>offended if I suggest your favorite menu item should disappear, but an
>abundance of menu options really does disorient beginners and gets in
>the way of even experienced users. If there are any candidates people
>concur with, I might find time to implement them.  Seriously, some of
>the menu options have probably never been used by anyone, even with a
>million downloads:

Likewise, Shane, I hope you're not & please don't be offended. I think
there are lots of different workstyles and I'm just expressing my
opinion. I don't find the current menus over-populated, except
potentially Effect, because of numerous plug-ins.

>File Menu:  All  Export and Export as... options.  I would like to see a
>single export dialog which handles all of this.  I realize this is not
>an opinion shared by all, as I had once worked on a new export system
>based on this idea that didn't generate much excitement amongst
>others.

Makes sense to me, but isn't important to me. A quicker fix would be
(guess what?) submenus:

    Export >
       [submenu of different formats]
    Export Selection >
       [submenu of different formats]

But I think there could be a couple of more formats before this would be
a good idea.

>File Menu: Dump 'Page setup'  (already exists in the print dialog)

I never print from Audacity, so I don't care, but isn't it typical that
'Page Setup' from the Print dialog is for that print job only and from
the File menu sets the page setup for the app, to apply to all future
prints?

>Edit Menu: Possibly move all selection based stuff into a 'select' menu
>as seen in other programs; move them out of submenus, and get rid of the
>ones that are not too useful.

Actually, I think for blind/VI users, and for shortcut discoverability,
a Transport menu is more valuable, but when I suggested it a year or so
ago, there was great distaste for adding another menu. Also, Select
commands are usually in Edit menus, & it's only 5 lines in the Edit menu.

>Edit Menu: Snap-to|Snap-to on/Snap-to off.  This just seems wrong to be
>a menu option.  Maybe it could be moved to a check box on the selection
>bar.

It definitely shouldn't be a submenu, just a wxITEM_CHECK.

>View Menu:  Reduce the zoom options by 2 or 3.  These are already
>keyboard shortcuts, plus there are three additional zooming methods
>available (the zoom tool, the zoom buttons, and ctrl-scrollbar). Do we
>really need five ways to zoom? (I'd also be in favor of getting rid of
>the zoom tool, but there is probably little harm in keeping it there,
>and I'm sure people do use it in some situations).

I disagree on the basis of discoverability. Yes, I use the buttons and
shortcuts, but I didn't know about the shortcuts until I saw them in the
menu. And there's no button for Zoom Normal.

>View Menu: Float Meter toolbar.  This needs to be fixed to reflect the
>state of the toolbar, and if possible removed entirely.

Yes, and what happened to the other Float commands? They should all be
consistent. Double-clicking the handle works, except for the meters, and
frankly, that's obvious enough for me. However, it's a drag (pun
intended) that you can't rearrange the docked toolbars except by
floating then re-docking them in the order you want.

>View Menu: History.  Move to Edit menu near undo/redo and call it 'Undo
>History'

Didn't it get changed from "Undo History" a while ago, for the Orwellian
reason Alexandre pointed out? It should remain "History", IMHO.

I agree that it makes sense to locate it next to Undo & Redo.

>Project Menu: Import options: Consider moving to or duplicate in File
>menu.

Duplicate? You want more commands in menus when they're accessible
elsewhere?! ;-)

I agree they make more sense moved to the File menu. Then maybe add
Transport commands to the Project menu (!).

>Project Menu: Import MIDI:  Remove until we support real midi.

I agree.

>Project Menu: Remove Tracks:  Change to 'Remove Track'
>Project Menu: Align.  Reduce to 1 or two options (to zero and with
>cursor). There are too many to think about, and the reasonable
>multi-clip support gets rid of many of the reasons to have them there.
>
>Project Menu: Align and Move Cursor.  Get rid of them them all. The
>concept of moving a clip without moving the selection might be useful,
>but why not just make those samples a different clip?  If truly deemed
>necessary, we might be able to devise a 'lock selection to clip' mode or
>markers that are bound to sample positions rather than timeline
>positions.
>

>Generate/Effect/Analyze.  I think these need serious reworking, although
>I think the current version is logical, it is difficult to use
>(something I take partial blame for).  The 'analyze' menu has only ever
>had two plugins for me, and one is a demo.  This, at least, should be
>folded into the 'effect' menu.  I also think that there should either be
>a strong comprehensible hierarchy, or we should just load a few popular
>effects in the effects menu with another option 'Other effects...' that
>launches a dialog effects browser that possibly gives descriptions of
>effects and allows one to set keyboard shortcuts and add select
>favorites to add to the menu.  Given that this is a complex undertaking,
>I would settle for getting rid of Analyze.

Yes, when people objected to my Transport menu suggestion (which is
totally unimportant to my usage now, btw), this was discussed a little
-- 3 menus for effects and only one has more than a few items. I agree
the current distinction is logical, but not difficult to use, just
unbalanced, with too few in Generate and Analyze, and too many in
Effect. We could distinguish them as Effect (built-ins) and Plug-ins. I
expect most of our users don't add plugins, but there are some (like
Tony) who have vast quantities. Hard to cover both cases.

But, yes, for now, I'd say just put Analyze's Beat Finder in Effect.

>Help:  Run benchmark.  Get rid of it. Hide it. If necessary, move it to
>a preferences dialog.  I suppose it isn't in the released compiled
>versions, so this is just me nitpicking.
>
>Comments?

Thanks for all the thought you've put into this.

-Vaughan

Re: Menu options

Vaughan Johnson

Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

>Shanem you did exactly what I was planning to do :)
>
>On 5/13/05, Shane Mueller <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>View Menu:  Reduce the zoom options by 2 or 3.  These are already
>>keyboard shortcuts, plus there are three additional zooming methods
>>available (the zoom tool, the zoom buttons, and ctrl-scrollbar). Do we
>>really need five ways to zoom?
>>

>the golden usability rule is to have all buttons from toolbars in menu as well.

Amen.

>>View Menu: History.  Move to Edit menu near undo/redo and call it 'Undo
>>History'
>>

>Ouch, you want to help people undo history like in "1984" by Orwell? :))

LOL!

>>(something I take partial blame for).  The 'analyze' menu has only ever
>>had two plugins for me, and one is a demo.  This, at least, should be
>>folded into the 'effect' menu.  I also think that there should either be
>>a strong comprehensible hierarchy, or we should just load a few popular
>>effects in the effects menu with another option 'Other effects...' that
>>launches a dialog effects browser that possibly gives descriptions of
>>effects and allows one to set keyboard shortcuts and add select
>>favorites to add to the menu.  Given that this is a complex undertaking,
>>I would settle for getting rid of Analyze.
>>

>I still vote for having a separate Analyze menu, where Plot spectrum
>and other things of that kind would go to

That association does make sense, but it's still only two items in that
menu.

BTW, I added an ellipsis so it's "Plot Spectrum...", because it brings
up a dialog.

>>Help:  Run benchmark.  Get rid of it. Hide it. If necessary, move it to
>>a preferences dialog.
>>

>agreed for removing it from Help menu, but preferences dialog is not
>the best place. it's a bad usability practice to open one dialog from
>another, especially from Preferences dialog.

Move it to the Analyze menu?! ;-)

-Vaughan