Re: Audacity compiled with visual studio

Re: Audacity compiled with visual studio

jathalls

Hi

I am quite new to Audacity devel although I have been a user of Audacity for a while.

I have got the Henrici build of Audacity compiling under VS2017 quite nicely after a few

Initial problems, largely due to the WxWidgets builds using different target paths from

Those expected by the Audacity build.  Once fixed it built and ran nicely albeit with the

‘new look’ icons.

I am now trying to find a downloadable (or old on DVD) copy of VS2013 as I have a tweak that

I would like to submit.  It is only a few lines to make the name of a new label track default to the

Name of the currently selected (or only) track, if any, instead of defaulting to the name ‘Label Track’.

When annotating large collections of wav files this would save considerable time and I can’t see

That that is any worse a default than ‘Label Track’.

The suggestion below seems to imply that you still need to have VS2013 installed inorder to be

Able to use its toolset.

Justin

>On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 12:06 AM, Robert H?nggi <[hidden email]>

>wrote:

>> I guess it isn't easy to adapt it to VS 15/17.

>> Last time that I've tried, it succeeded in 18 projects and failed in 5.

>> WXWidgets had a good "Migration" report after importing but had also

>> some problems building afterwards.

>> Someone was able to build with  VS2015, if I don't err.

>> I would be happy to migrate to 2017 since NVDA does for some strange

> >reason refuse to read the editor content in VS2013.

>Robert, you can use visual studio 2017, and still use the 2013 compiler, as pointed out by Mark, and as documented here:

>https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog/2016/02/24/stuck-on-an-older-toolset-version-move-to-visual-studio-2015-without-upgrading-your-toolset/

>For just desktop development, visual studio 2017 takes up about 5GB on disk.

>David.

>> Robert

>> On 05/06/2017, David Bailes <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > Has anyone on the list got a build of Audacity compiled with visual

>> studio

>> > 2015 (or 2017) which they could make available for me to download?

>> > It doesn't have to be up to date with the latest commits, and it

>> > doesn't matter what version of wxWidgets it uses.

>> > Background: There is currently a problem using the "creators" update

>> > of windows 10, that Audacity can crash when using the Jaws screen reader.

>> > Window 10 is not officially listed as a target for visual studio

>> > 2013,

>> so I

>> > wanted to check if this is the problem.

>> > thanks,

>> > David.

Re: Audacity compiled with visual studio

There is a link to VS2013 in the yellow box here:
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Developing_On_Windows

but VS2013 may not install if you already have VS2017.

You might have to use a different computer or partition and
install VS2013 before installing VS2017.

Gale