Re: [Audacity-devel] Playing MIDI on Mac works for me.

Re: [Audacity-devel] Playing MIDI on Mac works for me.

Peter Sampson-2

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 3:27 PM, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]> wrote:
Has anybody besides me tried playing MIDI on Mac?

I have got it working by following some instructions here http://donyaquick.com/working-with-midi-on-mac-os-x/ to setup an IAC bus, then downloading the free SimpleSynth program recommended on that page.  And that is here. http://notahat.com/simplesynth/

That done, it all works like a charm for me.

Does anyone more knowledgeable than me want to recommend other and better resources for Mac users?  Are there other free software synths to recommend?

Has Peter written anything yet in Manual about Mac MIDI setup?

Poke has been doing some work on Note Tracks and the Prefs page:
http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Note_Tracks
All I have added in the intro on Note Tracks thus far is:
"Note Tracks cannot currently be played on Linux or Mac."

I'm somewhat holding fire till I ascertain the situation on Mac and Linux.

At the momemnt I'm unsure where's the best place to talk about MIDI playback
mentioning there that you can play MIDI files (at least on Windows) with a link to
the Notes Tracks page.

Re: [Audacity-devel] Playing MIDI on Mac works for me.

Peter Sampson-2

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 3:27 PM, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]> wrote:
Has anybody besides me tried playing MIDI on Mac?

I have got it working by following some instructions here http://donyaquick.com/working-with-midi-on-mac-os-x/ to setup an IAC bus, then downloading the free SimpleSynth program recommended on that page.  And that is here. http://notahat.com/simplesynth/

But in Windows it just works out-of-the-box and we should be looking for
it to be that simple on Mac and Linux too if possible.

Peter.

That done, it all works like a charm for me.

Does anyone more knowledgeable than me want to recommend other and better resources for Mac users?  Are there other free software synths to recommend?

Has Peter written anything yet in Manual about Mac MIDI setup?

Re: [Audacity-devel] Playing MIDI on Mac works for me.

Paul Licameli

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 12:08 PM, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 3:27 PM, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]> wrote:
Has anybody besides me tried playing MIDI on Mac?

I have got it working by following some instructions here http://donyaquick.com/working-with-midi-on-mac-os-x/ to setup an IAC bus, then downloading the free SimpleSynth program recommended on that page.  And that is here. http://notahat.com/simplesynth/

But in Windows it just works out-of-the-box and we should be looking for
it to be that simple on Mac and Linux too if possible.

Peter.

No, I don't think it is possible to make it that simple on Mac, but it is simple enough.  I have done it.  The user can be instructed.

PRL