Re: [Audacity-help] Important Question

Vaughan Johnson
Administrator
Andrew P. Klug wrote:

> To Whom it May Concern,
>
> Thank you for reading this email. I need to find a way to colour code
> the raw waveform using a colour ramp according to the peak frequency
> of the spectrogram. This way as the raw signal (waveform) is recorded
> each bin of data would be plotted in a different colour representing
> the peak frequency of that particular bin. Unfortunately I am not a
> fantastic programmer and am looking for some help. Perhaps there is an
> add-on function that would do that for me. Otherwise I think Audacity
> is just fantastic!
>

> *  *Andrew P. Klug M.D.
> * *
>
> *
> * <http://autos.yahoo.ca>

Forwarding this to the developer list for advice from the people who
worked on that code. I don't think you can just do an add-on, but the
wave-drawing code is modular, so you should be able to modify your copy
without have to learn all the code. Have you found that wave-drawing
code yet? Start from "http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/source".

Re: Re: [Audacity-help] Important Question

dmazzoni
Andrew,

Do you happen to have access to Matlab?  It sounds like you need a
research tool, not a general-purpose application.  This type of thing
would be very easy in Matlab, and the result would be a lot more
flexible.  And much easier to work with than writing C++ code for
Audacity.

If you don't have Matlab, a good free alternative might be Python +
Numeric + Matplotlib.  Together, they will give you much of the power
and plotting flexibility of Matlab, all in free tools.

- Dominic