Re: The results of your email commands

carrt7
Latest Audacity, Windows10, any machine

Please can we improve the Save display box?

When I am working with many short sections of audio, they have similar (but numbered) names, and come from several different folders.  If I accidentally export a section to the WRONG folder, and don't notice, Audacity gives me no indication.  The Save box simply says "Exporting filename".

When I finally discover that section is missing from its folder, it is quite difficult to discover whether I forgot to save it, or whether it is hiding in some other folder.

This is particularly likely to happen because Audacity, very helpfully, does not automatically save exports to the same directory as the file was read in from.

Hope this is the right location to post this.
​It got bounced back from "Requests"

Tony (enthusiastic Audaciphile)

*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: The results of your email commands

carrt7

Latest Audacity, Windows 10, any machine

When editing audio segments, the user often needs to apply some correction (volume, tone), listen to the result, and revise the correction for a better result.

Audacity is currently unhelpful.  I apply (say) an Equalization treble boost curve from my stock, play the waveform, decide it's too much boost, press ALT-C, E, E - and get presented with a flat-line screen.  This is obviously not what I want, and does not tell me what I applied 2 minutes ago.  The same is true if I apply too much amplification.

Much more helpful would be, when I revisit the same option, to show me the curve or level that I used last time.  I can then decide how much change to make.

Maybe the exact changes I made last time are logged somewhere in the bowels of Audacity - but hunting them down would be more tedious?

An alternative would be to expand the Edit menu display.  Instead of "Undo Equalization" it could say "Undo Equalization curve-name"?

Tony  (with many thanks to the team)

*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: The results of your email commands

bobdavcav

Audacity used to do exactly as you describe prior to 2.1.1 or whatever the latest version is. I modify the curve but do not save it all the time, and usually it would hold. Since upgrading to the latest version, every time I use equalization, I am presented with the last curve I used under the old version instead of what was applied.

On 7 August 2016 at 19:14, carrt7 . <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Latest Audacity, Windows10, any machine
>>
>> Please can we improve the Save display box?

Are you talking about Export Selected Audio or Export Multiple?

>> When I am working with many short sections of audio, they have similar
>> (but numbered) names, and come from several different folders.  If I
>> accidentally export a section to the WRONG folder, and don't notice,
>> Audacity gives me no indication.  The Save box simply says "Exporting
>> filename".

Where are you trying to export to?  The same folder each time, even
if the files came from another folder?

Are you are asking then for the full path to the file to be noted in the
progress dialogue when you export?

After performing Export Multiple, a full list of file paths exported to
is given.

>> When I finally discover that section is missing from its folder, it is
>> quite difficult to discover whether I forgot to save it, or whether it is
>> hiding in some other folder.
>>
>> This is particularly likely to happen because Audacity, very helpfully,
>> does not automatically save exports to the same directory as the file was
>> read in from.

Many users want exactly that to happen, but I think it would be
useful to be able to set a default export folder too.

>> Hope this is the right location to post this.
>> It got bounced back from "Requests"

As always, this is the address for bug reports or feature requests:
http://www.audacityteam.org/contact/#feedback

(right-click over "email us" and copy the address).

Gale

On 7 August 2016 at 19:15, carrt7 . <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Latest Audacity, Windows 10, any machine
>>
>> When editing audio segments, the user often needs to apply some correction
>> (volume, tone), listen to the result, and revise the correction for a better
>> result.
>>
>> Audacity is currently unhelpful.  I apply (say) an Equalization treble
>> boost curve from my stock, play the waveform, decide it's too much boost,
>> press ALT-C, E, E - and get presented with a flat-line screen.

Please, we have covered this before. It was a bug.

Update to the current Audacity 2.1.2 from
http://www.audacityteam.org/download/windows

and the bug will be gone.

Always tell us your exact Audacity version, all three numbers,
from Help > About Audacity... .

Thanks

Gale

>> This is obviously not what I want, and does not tell me what I applied
> > 2 minutes ago.  The same is true if I apply too much amplification.
>>
>> Much more helpful would be, when I revisit the same option, to show me the
>> curve or level that I used last time.  I can then decide how much change to
>> make.
>>
>> Maybe the exact changes I made last time are logged somewhere in the
>> bowels of Audacity - but hunting them down would be more tedious?
>>
>> An alternative would be to expand the Edit menu display.  Instead of "Undo
>> Equalization" it could say "Undo Equalization curve-name"?
>>
>> Tony  (with many thanks to the team)
>>
>> --

*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: The results of your email commands

bobdavcav
The version specified was the latest, 2.1.2. I have the same problem with
the same version on Windows 7.

On 7 August 2016 at 19:15, carrt7 . <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Latest Audacity, Windows 10, any machine
>>
>> When editing audio segments, the user often needs to apply some
>> correction (volume, tone), listen to the result, and revise the
>> correction for a better result.
>>
>> Audacity is currently unhelpful.  I apply (say) an Equalization
>> treble boost curve from my stock, play the waveform, decide it's too
>> much boost, press ALT-C, E, E - and get presented with a flat-line
screen.

Please, we have covered this before. It was a bug.

Update to the current Audacity 2.1.2 from
http://www.audacityteam.org/download/windows

and the bug will be gone.

Always tell us your exact Audacity version, all three numbers, from Help >
About Audacity... .

Thanks

Gale

>> This is obviously not what I want, and does not tell me what I
>> applied
> > 2 minutes ago.  The same is true if I apply too much amplification.
>>
>> Much more helpful would be, when I revisit the same option, to show
>> me the curve or level that I used last time.  I can then decide how
>> much change to make.
>>
>> Maybe the exact changes I made last time are logged somewhere in the
>> bowels of Audacity - but hunting them down would be more tedious?
>>
>> An alternative would be to expand the Edit menu display.  Instead of
>> "Undo Equalization" it could say "Undo Equalization curve-name"?
>>
>> Tony  (with many thanks to the team)
>>
>> --

*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information,
so we can help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X
10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help >
About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and
how is it
   connected to the computer?

*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: The results of your email commands

Please refer to my previous response.

Note that if you run 2.1.1 then 2.1.2, you will still be running 2.1.1.

If you do have the same issue in 2.1.2 supplied by us, you could try
deleting this file:
C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Audacity\pluginsettings.cfg

This will not affect any of your custom preset curves.

Gale

On 8 August 2016 at 21:09, Bob cavanaugh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The version specified was the latest, 2.1.2. I have the same problem with
> the same version on Windows 7.

That appears to have worked.

Note that if you run 2.1.1 then 2.1.2, you will still be running 2.1.1.

If you do have the same issue in 2.1.2 supplied by us, you could try
deleting this file:
C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Audacity\pluginsettings.cfg

This will not affect any of your custom preset curves.

Gale

On 8 August 2016 at 21:09, Bob cavanaugh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The version specified was the latest, 2.1.2. I have the same problem
> with the same version on Windows 7.

If you get a flat graph again on reopening Equalization in 2.1.2,
could you please rename the pluginsettings.cfg file to .txt
extension and attach it?

I had already tried deleting that file, running 2.1.1, quit,
then running 2.1.2. Equalization opens and reopens with
the expected graph for me.

Thanks

Gale