Re: Updating manual images for split lines? I hope you didn't yet.

Re: Updating manual images for split lines? I hope you didn't yet.

Peter Sampson-2

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 7:16 AM, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]> wrote:
Peter,

On 29 June at commit dc1193a0, James changed the appearance of split lines -- that is, the boundaries between clips that butt each other -- and also the behavior of the cursor near them, to address an old complaint of Gale's, that you can't make a selection that starts at a split line, without causing the merge of clips instead.

I never felt positive about this change, thinking it a hasty solution to the problem.  I developed my more careful alternative, using the TAB key, which was completed only today.  Gale didn't like James' change either.

I want to persuade the team to decline this change and accept my alternative.  Persuade if I can, not use my RM authority to dictate it so.

So there is not consensus yet that this appearance change will stand, and I hope you did not spend effort on updating images in the manual on the assumption that it would.  I did express my doubts about the change in earlier emails, but I am sorry if I didn't make it clear enough to you.

I told you a while back that I am very time poor this fortnight - and will not have
time to properly work on the Manual until Monday 17th July at the earliest.

So no I have not started work on this apart from making a user workbool page
In fact I have a whole section on my user page for various similar workbooks:
http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/User:PeterSampson#Pages_to_be_updated_for_GUI_changes

So, in the light of your comments, I shall be holding off on this until I am assured
that the GUI in this respect of clip handling has been agreed and stabilized.

But image updates for other theme changes -- surely those are needed.

Of course thay are, and we (mainly James and I) have been working on this.
See the above link to my set of workbooks.