Re: recorders Was: vorbis portables

Andy-3-3
This is slightly off topic...

i have been looking as well for a good quality CF or hard drive recorder
that is more mini-disc-ish in size. i have seen people use the
flash-based olympus digital recorders with external microphones plugged
in, and those seem to work well for short recording times. i generally
record for long periods of time, and am tired of re-dubbing every
minidisc (ATRAC/ATRAC3 etc..) i record to my laptop.

Anyone seen or tried this equipment? feel free to respond to me off list..

The Edirol R-1 records in 24bit 96khz .wav or various .mp3 bitrates. i
recall that the converter is in hardware, not software, so i don't think
it can be hacked to encode in ogg.. It records on CF cards, and i think
it supports filesystems up to 2 GB in size. It's about the size of a PDA
but has all kinds of nifty ports.

http://www.edirol.com/products/info/r1.html

I have tried using my Zaurus SL-5500 PDA to do recording (in both
qtopia/sharp ROM and opie/openzaurus ROM), but the quality was poor, and
the pinouts on the 1/8" headphone/mic jack have to be hacked with a
homemade cord. (Unless you buy the proprietary sharp Mic) Below is a
link to a CF Audio input card that works under Familiar Linux and Pocket
PC windows flavors. it is also a 96khz, 24 bit interface.

http://www.core-sound.com/HighResRecorderNews.html

btw- I  run debian testing, ubuntu, the agnula/demudi distribution, or
OS X, so I'm usually looking for linux compatibility on x86 or ppc.

-andy

[hidden email] wrote:

>Subject: Re: [Audacity-users] vorbis portables
>To: [hidden email]
>

>--- Monty <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>Actually, I own three Vorbis portables.  A Kharma, a
>>random iRiver CD
>>player and a Rio Kharma.  I cheated; they were free
>>samples from the
>>manufacturers. :-)
>>

>Hey monty do any of those record?  I have been wanting
>a portable music player that can also record.  I have
>an old cassette recorder but I would prefer something
>digital that I can just transfer recordings to my pc.
>Sony and some other companies make some portable
>recorders but they don't look like they record to mp3
>or vorbis just some proprietery formats.
>
>I would like something that has at least 128MB of
>memory also.  If I am going to use a digital player I
>want something that can hold more than just 10 songs
>(if I'm going to only get 10 songs I might as well use
>a cd player to listen to music, I know sometimes you
>can fit more on a normal audio cd that was just an
>example).
>
>I use my recorder for lyrics that I think of during
>the day and just random notes I have for myself.
>
>I also have a pda I use for stuff like that but its
>much easier to just say it than write it.

>Adam Lafayette  N1ZGG
>[hidden email]
>http://www.bloodkeg.com    (music & videos)
>http://www.geocities.com/atomlbomb

Re: recorders Was: vorbis portables

xiphmont

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 12:47:26PM -0400, Andy wrote:
> This is slightly off topic...
>
> i have been looking as well for a good quality CF or hard drive recorder
> that is more mini-disc-ish in size. i have seen people use the
> flash-based olympus digital recorders with external microphones plugged
> in, and those seem to work well for short recording times. i generally
> record for long periods of time, and am tired of re-dubbing every
> minidisc (ATRAC/ATRAC3 etc..) i record to my laptop.

Several of the pros I know have recently gone to using Mac Minis as
portable hard disk recorders.  They even run Linux well :-)

Monty

Re: recorders Was: vorbis portables

Kurt Bigler
on 5/12/05 9:47 AM, Andy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is slightly off topic...

Yes, and I'm continuing since there seems to be enough interest here to
justify this...

> i have been looking as well for a good quality CF or hard drive recorder
> that is more mini-disc-ish in size. i have seen people use the
> flash-based olympus digital recorders with external microphones plugged
> in, and those seem to work well for short recording times. i generally
> record for long periods of time, and am tired of re-dubbing every
> minidisc (ATRAC/ATRAC3 etc..) i record to my laptop.
>
> Anyone seen or tried this equipment? feel free to respond to me off list..
>
> The Edirol R-1 records in 24bit 96khz .wav

24-bit 44.1Khz .wav (unfortunately no 96Khz)

> or various .mp3 bitrates.

up to 320Kbpz mp3

> recall that the converter is in hardware, not software, so i don't think
> it can be hacked to encode in ogg.. It records on CF cards, and i think
> it supports filesystems up to 2 GB in size.

That's right.

It apparently has problems with some brands of CF cards.  The manual
mentions this but makes no reccomendations.  A friend of mind bought a CF
brand that didn't work.  The failure mode, fortunately was that the card
wasn't recognized.  What would worry me is a failure mode in which bits are
occasionally corrupted.  The manual could be clearer on this.

I've make some good recordings with the R-1.  The built in mics are pretty
good.  Not transparent, but clear enough if you're not doing an A/B
comparison.  I recorded a live concert with the R-1 in my pocket beyond my
sweater and got a recording that I'll be glad to listen to again and again.

Recording with wall power may have some hum problems with certain external
mic/preamp equipment, so you may want to get fresh batteries for each
concert.

I'm a firm believer in "no moving parts" recording.  No hard drives for me
in something I carry in my pocket.  That's why I ordered the R-1 before it
was released.  It also makes a nice replacement for a DAT deck if you have a
good external Mic+preamp solution.  A friend of mine is starting to make
this transition.

-Kurt

Re: recorders Was: vorbis portables

Adam Lafayette

--- Andy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anyone seen or tried this equipment? feel free to
> respond to me off list..
>
> The Edirol R-1 records in 24bit 96khz .wav or
> various .mp3 bitrates. i
> recall that the converter is in hardware, not
> software, so i don't think
> it can be hacked to encode in ogg.. It records on CF
> cards, and i think
> it supports filesystems up to 2 GB in size. It's
> about the size of a PDA
> but has all kinds of nifty ports.
>
> http://www.edirol.com/products/info/r1.html

Andy that looks like a real nice recorder.  If only my
budget was that high.