Re: vorbis portables

Adam Lafayette

--- Monty <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Actually, I own three Vorbis portables.  A Kharma, a
> random iRiver CD
> player and a Rio Kharma.  I cheated; they were free
> samples from the
> manufacturers. :-)

Hey monty do any of those record?  I have been wanting
a portable music player that can also record.  I have
an old cassette recorder but I would prefer something
digital that I can just transfer recordings to my pc.
Sony and some other companies make some portable
recorders but they don't look like they record to mp3
or vorbis just some proprietery formats.

I would like something that has at least 128MB of
memory also.  If I am going to use a digital player I
want something that can hold more than just 10 songs
(if I'm going to only get 10 songs I might as well use
a cd player to listen to music, I know sometimes you
can fit more on a normal audio cd that was just an
example).

I use my recorder for lyrics that I think of during
the day and just random notes I have for myself.

I also have a pda I use for stuff like that but its
much easier to just say it than write it.

Adam Lafayette  N1ZGG
[hidden email]
http://www.bloodkeg.com    (music & videos)
http://www.geocities.com/atomlbomb

Re: vorbis portables

Todd (Engineering Account)

Hey monty do any of those record? I have been wanting

>a portable music player that can also record.  I have
>an old cassette recorder but I would prefer something
>digital that I can just transfer recordings to my pc.
>Sony and some other companies make some portable
>recorders but they don't look like they record to mp3
>or vorbis just some proprietery formats.

I'm using the iRiver IFP-795, I purchased primarily because it can play
Ogg files and Linux can talk to it and it can record.  Unfortunately  I
haven't used it yet with Linux.  I have recorded my church's Sunday
morning services on it and transfered the files onto a Windows PC.  Then
have Audacity edit the audio files directly before converting them to
.wav or .ogg.  Whatever type of native audio file iRiver uses Audacity
can import directly without any problems. I haven't done any high
quality audio recording,  but the church service recordings are without
the tape hiss now that I'm using the iRiver recorder instead of the
cassette deck.  The version I'm using has 512MB of storage.  These guys
have the smaller brother available:
http://www.surpluscomputers.com/store/main.aspx?p=ItemDetail&item=CES10629

The only big drawback to this device is that it only runs on battery
power,  there isn't an AC power adapter available.

YMMV

Todd Hausser

Re: vorbis portables

Adam Lafayette