Quantcast

Record problem

ejs820
Please forgive me, but I can't find the information I need.  I installed Audacity 1.26 and everything worked fine at first.  Now I can't record as the cursor just "sticks" at the beginning of a file and won't move.  I thought I saw a message on the help board about this, but now I can't find it.  I have an Alesis mixer connected to the computer via a USB cable.  I am running Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2.   Audacity works fine on my fiancé's computer which runs Windows Millennium and we've been using her machine to record.  I thought I read something about "automatic updates" from Microsoft causing my problem, but can't find the info.  Sorry again if this is a topic that has been covered a lot in the past, but I do appreciate your help!  Thank you.

Sincerely,

Rick Schremp

Re: Record problem

audacity-help mailing list

    | From ejs820
    | Tue, 3 Jul 2007 20:45:34 -0500
    | Subject: [Audacity-help] Record problem
    | I installed Audacity 1.26 and everything worked fine at first.  Now I can't
    | record as the cursor just "sticks" at the beginning of a file and won't move.
    | I thought I saw a message on the help board about this, but now I can't
    | find it.  I have an Alesis mixer connected to the computer via a USB cable.
    | I am running Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2.   Audacity works
    | fine on my fiancé's computer which runs Windows Millennium and we've
    | been using her machine to record. I thought I read something about
    | "automatic updates" from Microsoft causing my problem, but can't find
    | the info.

Windows Updates would mostly affect the inbuilt sound device of the computer,
and this is not used for recording if you are recording the USB output of the
Alesis. If the red recording cursor is stuck at zero when you try to record, it
almost always means you are out of computer resources, and the solution is to
reboot. If low resources are a problem you could have a look at this page:
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Managing_Computer_Resources_and_Drivers

Gale Andrews

Outbound message virus free.
Tested on: 7/4/2007 6:50:13 AM

Re: Record problem

ejs820
Hello Gale,

According to the tab at the bottom of the page when I launch Audacity, I
have over 52 hours of recording time available on the computer.  When I
first experienced this problem, I rebooted the computer, then uninstalled
and reinstalled Audacity and neither helped.  I did have a problem with
trying to get the Alesis board to communicate with my computer, but finally
got it to work.  As I said before, the program worked for about two weeks or
so, then just started "sticking" when I tried to record.  I have defragged
the hard drive, tried to change the sample rate, have all other programs
closed.  In addition, I've tried using another USB port on my computer, but
that did solve the problem.  I have tried to update the audio drivers, but
get a message saying that no updates could be found.  Please advise and
thanks again for your time.

Rick

    | I installed Audacity 1.26 and everything worked fine at first.  Now I
can't
    | record as the cursor just "sticks" at the beginning of a file and
won't move.
    | I thought I saw a message on the help board about this, but now I
can't
    | find it.  I have an Alesis mixer connected to the computer via a USB
cable.
    | I am running Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2.   Audacity works
    | fine on my fiancé's computer which runs Windows Millennium and we've
    | been using her machine to record. I thought I read something about
    | "automatic updates" from Microsoft causing my problem, but can't find
    | the info.

Windows Updates would mostly affect the inbuilt sound device of the
computer,
and this is not used for recording if you are recording the USB output of
the
Alesis. If the red recording cursor is stuck at zero when you try to record,
it
almost always means you are out of computer resources, and the solution is
reboot. If low resources are a problem you could have a look at this page:
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Managing_Computer_Resources_and_Drivers

Gale Andrews

Outbound message virus free.
Tested on: 7/4/2007 6:50:13 AM

Re: Record problem

audacity-help mailing list

    | From ejs820
    | Wed, 4 Jul 2007 01:37:10 -0500
    | Subject: [Audacity-help] Record problem
    | According to the tab at the bottom of the page when I launch Audacity, I
    | have over 52 hours of recording time available on the computer.  When I
    | first experienced this problem, I rebooted the computer, then uninstalled
    | and reinstalled Audacity and neither helped.  I did have a problem with
    | trying to get the Alesis board to communicate with my computer, but finally
    | got it to work.  As I said before, the program worked for about two weeks or
    | so, then just started "sticking" when I tried to record.  I have defragged
    | the hard drive, tried to change the sample rate, have all other programs
    | closed.  In addition, I've tried using another USB port on my computer, but
    | that did solve the problem.  I have tried to update the audio drivers, but
    | get a message saying that no updates could be found.

As explained, the drivers of the computer sound device are not relevant to
recording into the USB port of the computer. It is not very likely that
Windows Update would have messed with the USB drivers. Have you installed
Service Pack 2 since this problem started, though?

* In the Audio I/O tab of Audacity Preferences, is the Alesis USB selected
   as the "recording device"?
* Supposing you change the recording device away from Alesis to the
   computer sound device, and choose an input in the Mixer Toolbar
   dropdown selector:
   http://audacity.sourceforge.net/onlinehelp-1.2/toolbar_mixer.htm

   which you can record from (e.g. microphone). Exit and restart Audacity and
   try to record from that source. Does the red cursor still stick?

You can also try the Beta 1.3.3 version of Audacity (it can be installed
alongside 1.2.6 if it is installed to a different directory) but I don't really see
why it would help. Please let us know the answer to the two questions above
anyway.

Gale Andrews

Outbound message virus free.
Tested on: 7/4/2007 9:21:31 AM

Re: Record problem

ejs820
Gale,

I noticed something on the mixer toolbar.  I have the "speaker" control, the
mic control, but the input box is grayed out and nothing populates into it
(i.e. microphone, etc.).  Service Pack 2 was on the computer when I bought
it and Audacity works when I switch to Soundmax Digital Audio as the
recording input and use the microphone that came with the computer.

>    | According to the tab at the bottom of the page when I launch
> Audacity, I
>    | have over 52 hours of recording time available on the computer.  When
>    | first experienced this problem, I rebooted the computer, then
> uninstalled
>    | and reinstalled Audacity and neither helped.  I did have a problem
> with
>    | trying to get the Alesis board to communicate with my computer, but
> finally
>    | got it to work.  As I said before, the program worked for about two
> weeks or
>    | so, then just started "sticking" when I tried to record.  I have
> defragged
>    | the hard drive, tried to change the sample rate, have all other
> programs
>    | closed.  In addition, I've tried using another USB port on my
> computer, but
>    | that did solve the problem.  I have tried to update the audio
> drivers, but
>    | get a message saying that no updates could be found.
>
> As explained, the drivers of the computer sound device are not relevant to
> recording into the USB port of the computer. It is not very likely that
> Windows Update would have messed with the USB drivers. Have you installed
> Service Pack 2 since this problem started, though?
>
> * In the Audio I/O tab of Audacity Preferences, is the Alesis USB selected
>   as the "recording device"?
> * Supposing you change the recording device away from Alesis to the
>   computer sound device, and choose an input in the Mixer Toolbar
>   dropdown selector:
>   http://audacity.sourceforge.net/onlinehelp-1.2/toolbar_mixer.htm
>
>   which you can record from (e.g. microphone). Exit and restart Audacity
> and
>   try to record from that source. Does the red cursor still stick?
>
> You can also try the Beta 1.3.3 version of Audacity (it can be installed
> alongside 1.2.6 if it is installed to a different directory) but I don't
> really see
> why it would help. Please let us know the answer to the two questions
> above
> anyway.
>

> Gale Andrews
>

> Outbound message virus free.
> Tested on: 7/4/2007 9:21:31 AM

Re: Record problem

audacity-help mailing list

    | From EJS820
    | Wed, 4 Jul 2007 10:08:03 -0500
    | Subject: [Audacity-help] Record problem
    | I noticed something on the mixer toolbar.  I have the "speaker" control, the
    | mic control, but the input box is grayed out and nothing populates into it
    | (i.e. microphone, etc.).  Service Pack 2 was on the computer when I bought
    | it and Audacity works when I switch to Soundmax Digital Audio as the
    | recording input and use the microphone that came with the computer.

The dropdown selector on the Mixer Toolbar would be greyed out when you
have the Alesis set as the "Recording Device" on the Audio I/O tab of Audacity
Preferences. When you switch the "Recording Device" to your computer sound
device, the Mixer Toolbar dropdown should become active and allow you to
choose the microphone and other inputs. If it remains greyed out that means
Audacity cannot interface with the system mixer, and you will just record from
whatever input the system mixer happens to be set to. The system mixer is the
Audio tab of Sounds and Audio Devices in the Windows Control Panel.

If you cannot select inputs in the Audacity dropdown, then you should always
be able to do so in Sounds and Audio Devices, but Audacity's inability to interface
with Sounds and Audio Devices may mean that you have inappropriate drivers
for your computer sound device. I know you said they were as up-to-date as
they could be, which I presume you checked in Device Manager, however you
should check in Device Manager who the Driver Provider actually is. You can
do this by right-clicking over the sound device, hit Properties and click on the
Driver tab. If the provider is Microsoft, these are only low quality generic drivers
and you ought to go to the website of either the sound device manufacturer or
the motherboard manufacturer and seek drivers appropriate to your hardware.
There is more help on this here:
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Updating_Sound_Device_Drivers

While you are in Device Manager do you see any exclamation marks by
Universal Serial Bus Controllers, or by USB Controllers in "Other Devices"?
If so that might be your problem. Select the device, hit Properties and either
hit the button to reinstall the drivers, or uninstall the device and reboot. When
you reboot, the Add New Hardware Wizard should appear and prompt you to
insert your Windows XP CD. If you have USB 2.0 capable ports (denoted
either by an "enhanced" USB controller, or by the presence of a USB device in
"Other devices"), insert your CD which has XP SP2 on it.

Do you have a line-in on this computer? If so, then depending exactly what
model of Alesis mixer you have, you should also be able to send the audio from
its 2-TRACK OUT jack to the line-in of the computer. To record from line-in, set
the "Recording Device" on the Audio I/O tab of Audacity Preferences to the
computer sound device, and choose line-in on the Mixer Toolbar dropdown, or in
Sounds and Audio Devices if that is all you can do.

When you take the mixer to record into the other computer, do you use the
same USB cable? If not, try using the USB cable that works with the other
computer.

Gale Andrews

Outbound message virus free.
Tested on: 7/4/2007 5:32:07 PM