Quantcast

Recording Cassette Tape

MCIPD
I am trying to record tape to my PC using the Ion Turntable. I connect the white and red output to my tape deck and the 1/8" stereo input to the turntable. The audacity software does not seem to be picking it up. I have tried plugging into my PC headphone and microphone sockets but still it doesn't work. I am able to record vinyl with no problem so I assume that I must be making an error when trying to record tape. I have checked all of the online guides without success. I'm sure I must be doing something fundamentally wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Recording Cassette Tape

audacity-help mailing list

    | From MCIPD
    | Sat, 26 May 2007 03:49:13 -0700 (PDT)
    | Subject: [Audacity-help] Recording Cassette Tape
    | I am trying to record tape to my PC using the Ion Turntable. I connect the
    | white and red output to my tape deck and the 1/8" stereo input to the
    | turntable. The audacity software does not seem to be picking it up. I have
    | tried plugging into my PC headphone and microphone sockets but still it
    | doesn't work. I am able to record vinyl with no problem so I assume that I
    | must be making an error when trying to record tape. I have checked all of
    | the online guides without success. I'm sure I must be doing something
    | fundamentally wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

I am not sure you actually should have the RCA cables connected to the tape
deck, but if you do, what you have done there is correct -  if you have the
RCA cables connected to the Ion, they must not be touching any metal parts.
You want to connect from the headphones out of the tape player into the
1/8 inch stereo line input of the Ion next to the 33/45 RPM buttons. The
signal from the tape player is still sent over USB to the computer, so you
do not connect anything to the headphone or microphone sockets of your
computer, just make sure the turntable is connected to the USB port of
the computer as you would when you record LPs. Also keep the same
settings in Audacity - i.e. on the Audio I/O tab of Preferences, the "recording
device" should be USB Audio CODEC, the playback device should be your
computer's sound device, and if you want to hear the recording through the
computer while you are making it, enable "software playthrough" on the same
tab.

If problems persist I would suggest removing the RCA cables altogether.
Some users have said when recording LPs, that if the RCA cables are connected
to speakers, the turntable does not send any USB output to the computer.

If you have any more concerns about recording tapes you should contact Ion
as makers of the turntable:
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=USB_turntables#Further_support_from_the_turntable_manufacturer

Gale Andrews

Outbound message virus free.