Quantcast

Recording Problems - external mic ok, internal source, not ok

Recording Problems - external mic ok, internal source, not ok

Scott Akers

Just had the motherboard replaced on my pc. Before the change, I could record using Audacity from an external mic or internally,,,,i.e using a computer generated metronome, itunes, previously recorded track, sound effect, etc. Now recording from a mic still works ok, but recording other sound from within the computer itself will not work. Probably simple, but I'm not sure where to start?
Thanks,
Scott

Re: Recording Problems - external mic ok, internal source, not ok

Sean De Feudis
is it silly to make it a club where people can log on and jam...like an online game?
best wishes and cat dishes

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 5:10 PM, Scott Akers <[hidden email]> wrote:

Just had the motherboard replaced on my pc. Before the change, I could record using Audacity from an external mic or internally,,,,i.e using a computer generated metronome, itunes, previously recorded track, sound effect, etc. Now recording from a mic still works ok, but recording other sound from within the computer itself will not work. Probably simple, but I'm not sure where to start?
Thanks,
Scott

Re: Recording Problems - external mic ok, internal source, not ok

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 14:10:10 -0700 (PDT)
Scott Akers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Just had the motherboard replaced on my pc. Before the change,
> I could record using Audacity from an external mic or internally,,,,i.e
> using a computer generated metronome, itunes, previously recorded track,
> sound effect, etc. Now recording from a mic still works ok, but
> recording other sound from within the computer itself will not work.
> Probably simple, but I'm not sure where to start?

If this is an identical motherboard to the one you had before, then if
it has not already been done, you should reinstall the computer
sound device using the drivers CD that came with the computer.

If it is a different motherboard, then install the computer sound device
with the new drivers CD.

Then in both cases (because drivers on CDs can be out-of-date), update
the drivers so they are the latest ones specific to your particular computer
model and operating system, as supplied by the device or motherboard
manufacturer:
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Updating_Sound_Device_Drivers

If you still then cannot record computer playback, or do not have an
input in Audacity to do so, exit Audacity and try to enable and select
an appropriate input in the system mixer:
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Mixer_Toolbar_Issues#cp

If you need more help please tell us exactly what operating system you
are on (for example Windows Vista).