Quantcast

Recording advise and debugging

Bob van der Poel
Having used audacity for many years as an editor, I decided to try it
as a recorder. My journey is not a happy one :)

System: Linux Ubuntu 12.04
Audacity: 2.0.0

My first test was to connect a behringer  UAC202 (usb <> audio) to a
mixer. A Shure 57 mic is on the mixer; headphones on the UAC202 for
monitoring. I played a few bars of music (on my sax) into the mic and
let audacity record. Quite awful. The audio seems to be missing half
or more of the data. Not static, but missing. It's regular, like
someone deleted 1/2 or more of the data.

Okay, then I started up jack using   pasuspender -- jackd -d alsa

Started audacity again, no difference.

Next, I used a Microsoft headphone/mic combo. For voice that seems to
work just fine.

So, now I'm trying to figure out what the problem is with the UA202
setup. Device, configuration or software. I have no idea! I do know
that the playback on the US202 is just fine. I'd gladly get a
difference USB<>AUDIO device if that's the problem ... and I really
don't have any idea on how to test it.

Next question on audacity is why on the <output> menu I get, in
addition to the rest of my systems audio, one device, (the UA202). But
on <input> I get a list of devices associated with the US202 including
mic0, frontmic, etc. I wonder if there is any difference between
these. I did try switching, but same problem.

Finaly audacity question: when I select the input or output menus I
get most of the choices scrolled up about the list. I always need to
scroll the list down to see the devices, even though there is lots of
blank space on the bottom of the popup. Odd.

Thanks.

--
**** Listen to my CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****
EMAIL: [hidden email]

http://p.sf.net/sfu/learnmore_123012
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Recording advise and debugging

Stevethefiddle
First thing to try:
Restart the system with the UCA-202 connected.
Open Audacity
Do not open any other audio applications.

In the Audacity "Device Toolbar", set the recording input to:
USB Audio CODEC : USB Audio (hw:1,0)

Set the playback output to:
USB Audio CODEC : USB Audio (hw:1,0)

Hopefully you will have these options.

Try recording something.

Steve

http://p.sf.net/sfu/learnmore_122412
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Recording advise and debugging

Bob van der Poel
Okay ... thanks for the help. I *think* I have a solution, but no idea
what the problem is.

If I use the UCA-202 with the headphones plugged into it and just
record a single track it works fine. But, if I have a track already
recorded and I play that back while recording a 2nd track I get the
"motor boat" skipping I described earlier.

So, I try loading a track and send the output to a different device.
And record though the UCA-202. All works just fine.

The problem seems to be that if I send audio (track 1) to the UCA-202
and record though it I get problems. Not a big deal, just a matter of
deciding which plug to connect the phones to. But, it'd be nice to
know.

Best,