Recording for a specific time in Audacity is not easy or elegant

Recording for a specific time in Audacity is not easy or elegant

Peter Sampson-2
Following a recent ednote by Gale recently on this 101 recording page:
http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Record
I tidied that 101 page by remaving the note about recording for a specific time.

I moved it and edited it making it accurate and up-to-date on our primary reference
page for Recording in this new H2 section
http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Recording#duration

This has made me realize that recording for a specific period time in Audacity is
neither simple or elegant.

a) You either have to have an existing track or create a new empty track to slect your
time range and the Shift+Record to record in a new track for that time range.

or

b) Use Timer Record - which is a "sledgehammer to crack a walnut" -  not really what
Timer Record was designed for.

There must be a better way (there ought to be a better way) ...

Re: Recording for a specific time in Audacity is not easy or elegant

Stevethefiddle
A simple way, (that doesn't work and has revealed a bug) would be to
enter the required start and/or end times in the Selection Toolbar.
For example, to record 10 minutes, you would leave the start time at
zero and enter 10m 00 seconds as the end time.

It could be argued that it is a bug that this does not work when no
tracks exist because:
a) It works if one or more audio tracks exist and Overdub is enabled.
b) The Selection Toolbar will accept an End time, which gives the
impression that it should work.
c) It looks like it will work if any other type of track exists, but
although the cursor stops moving, unless there is an "audio" track,
the recording continues beyond the end of the selection.
d) Recording also continues beyond the end of the selection if Overdub
is off (regardless of whether an audio track exists or not.
e) It works if audio tracks exist and Overdub is on, even if all
tracks are muted (which is confusing).

The indisputable bug (tested on Xubuntu) is that if you attempt the
above, not only does it not work, but recording fails to stop when the
spacebar is pressed.
More generally:
1) With or without existing tracks, type an end time into the Selection Toolbar.
2) Press "R" or "Shift + R" to start recording. Recording starts.
3) Press "Space" to stop recording. Recording does not stop.

What I think should happen, is that if there is a selection, Audacity
should record into it and then stop, (regardless of what tracks exist,
what type they are, and whether Overdub is enabled or not), UNLESS the
selection contains audio, in which case recording should, by default
(which is now "append record") append from the end of the first
suitable selected track, or create a new track if no suitable tracks
are selected.
(a "suitable track" is a track of the right type, for example, to
record a stereo audio track, a suitable track type would be a stereo
audio track).

Steve

On 11 July 2017 at 13:20, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Following a recent ednote by Gale recently on this 101 recording page:
> http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Record
> I tidied that 101 page by remaving the note about recording for a specific
> time.
>
> I moved it and edited it making it accurate and up-to-date on our primary
> reference
> page for Recording in this new H2 section
> http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Recording#duration
>

> This has made me realize that recording for a specific period time in
> Audacity is
> neither simple or elegant.
>
> a) You either have to have an existing track or create a new empty track to
> slect your
> time range and the Shift+Record to record in a new track for that time
> range.
>
> or
>
> b) Use Timer Record - which is a "sledgehammer to crack a walnut" -  not
> really what
> Timer Record was designed for.
>
> There must be a better way (there ought to be a better way) ...
>
> Peter.

Re: Recording for a specific time in Audacity is not easy or elegant

Peter Sampson-2
Yes Steve that would be a way to do that and I agree about the no track
with Selection toolbar set and no time recording being a bug.

How about a new command "Record for ..." which would pop up a simple
dialog with a timebox for you to enter the duration and an OK button.

Better when James gets his multi-buttons working and this could be one
of the record modes in the dropdown.

Peter.