Recording from 24-bit sources

Johnny Rosenberg
When recording with Audacity from a 24-bit digital source (in my case with S/PDIF), someone said that only 16 bits are recorded, padded with 8 zeroes.
Is this true? I'm using Audacity 2.0.5.

I should be able to answer my question myself by just zooming in vertically, but for some reason I can't zoom in enough. After zooming a few times nothing more happens. The text for the vertical scale is then graded -0.045 – 0.045 in steps of 0.005, and each mm, when a channel is stretched all over my screen, seems so be a little less than 0.0005, which is approximately the size of LSB of an 11-bit signal. For 24-bits, LSB is approximately 59.6×10⁻⁹ (0.0000000596).

Is there a newer version that allows me to zoom in vertically as much as I want, at least so I'm able to see if a signal comes from a 16 or 24 bit source?

And is there a version that lets me see the vertical scale in dB (0 dB=1.0)? Or is it possible in 2.0.5? At least I couldn't find out how.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Recording from 24-bit sources

2.0.5 is now very old. The current 2.1.2 may be obtained here:
http://www.audacityteam.org/download .

Change to Waveform(dB) by clicking in the name of the track.

To see down to -145 dB in the vertical scale, you will also have
to change the Meter dB setting in Interface Preferences.

If you are on Windows, true 24-bit recording is only possible,
even in 2.1.2, if you choose Windows WASAPI host:
http://www.audacityteam.org/about/features/ .

When 2.1.3 is released (perhaps mid-March) it should also
support true 24-bit recording with Windows DirectSound host.

24-bit recording in Audacity with MME host is not currently
possible.

Gale Andrews

On 4 March 2017 at 14:06, Johnny Rosenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When recording with Audacity from a 24-bit digital source (in my case with
> S/PDIF), someone said that only 16 bits are recorded, padded with 8 zeroes.
> Is this true? I'm using Audacity 2.0.5.
>
> I should be able to answer my question myself by just zooming in vertically,
> but for some reason I can't zoom in enough. After zooming a few times
> nothing more happens. The text for the vertical scale is then graded -0.045
> – 0.045 in steps of 0.005, and each mm, when a channel is stretched all over
> my screen, seems so be a little less than 0.0005, which is approximately the
> size of LSB of an 11-bit signal. For 24-bits, LSB is approximately 59.6×10⁻⁹
> (0.0000000596).
>
> Is there a newer version that allows me to zoom in vertically as much as I
> want, at least so I'm able to see if a signal comes from a 16 or 24 bit
> source?
>
> And is there a version that lets me see the vertical scale in dB (0 dB=1.0)?
> Or is it possible in 2.0.5? At least I couldn't find out how.
>

> Kind regards
>
> Johnny Rosenberg

*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Recording from 24-bit sources

Johnny Rosenberg
2.0.5 is now very old. The current 2.1.2 may be obtained here:
http://www.audacityteam.org/download .

Only in source code, as it seems. I just checked the PPA, still 2.0.5 there.

Change to Waveform(dB) by clicking in the name of the track.

Wow, thanks! I have used Audacity for years and I never saw that before!
Maybe it would have been more intuitive to right click the actual scale or something, but that has currently another function…

To see down to -145 dB in the vertical scale, you will also have
to change the Meter dB setting in Interface Preferences.

Thanks again, got it!

If you are on Windows, true 24-bit recording is only possible,
even in 2.1.2, if you choose Windows WASAPI host:
http://www.audacityteam.org/about/features/ .

Well, since 2007 I'm not…

Thanks for your help!

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

On 5 March 2017 at 02:10, Johnny Rosenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> 2.0.5 is now very old. The current 2.1.2 may be obtained here:
>> http://www.audacityteam.org/download .
>

> Only in source code, as it seems. I just checked the PPA, still 2.0.5 there.

What version of Linux are you using?

>> Change to Waveform(dB) by clicking in the name of the track.
>

> Wow, thanks! I have used Audacity for years and I never saw that before!
> Maybe it would have been more intuitive to right click the actual scale or
> something, but that has currently another function…

>> To see down to -145 dB in the vertical scale, you will also have
>> to change the Meter dB setting in Interface Preferences.
>

> Thanks again, got it!
>

>> If you are on Windows, true 24-bit recording is only possible,
>> even in 2.1.2, if you choose Windows WASAPI host:
>> http://www.audacityteam.org/about/features/ .
>

> Well, since 2007 I'm not…

On Linux, 24-bit recording is supported using ALSA or JACK host.

Gale Andrews

http://sdm.link/oxford
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Recording from 24-bit sources

Johnny Rosenberg
On 5 March 2017 at 02:10, Johnny Rosenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> 2.0.5 is now very old. The current 2.1.2 may be obtained here:
>> http://www.audacityteam.org/download .
>

> Only in source code, as it seems. I just checked the PPA, still 2.0.5 there.

What version of Linux are you using?

Ubuntu 14.04 at the moment, but I'm planning to abandon it for Arch when my new SSD arrives and I'm going to do a fresh install anyway.

>> Change to Waveform(dB) by clicking in the name of the track.
>

> Wow, thanks! I have used Audacity for years and I never saw that before!
> Maybe it would have been more intuitive to right click the actual scale or
> something, but that has currently another function…

>> To see down to -145 dB in the vertical scale, you will also have
>> to change the Meter dB setting in Interface Preferences.
>

> Thanks again, got it!
>

>> If you are on Windows, true 24-bit recording is only possible,
>> even in 2.1.2, if you choose Windows WASAPI host:
>> http://www.audacityteam.org/about/features/ .
>

> Well, since 2007 I'm not…

On Linux, 24-bit recording is supported using ALSA or JACK host.

Even with Audacity 2.0.5?

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

Gale Andrews

On 6 March 2017 at 20:29, Johnny Rosenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > Only in source code, as it seems. I just checked the PPA, still 2.0.5
>> > there.
>>
>> What version of Linux are you using?
>

> Ubuntu 14.04 at the moment, but I'm planning to abandon it for Arch when my
> new SSD arrives and I'm going to do a fresh install anyway.

There is an Audacity 2.1.2 PPA for 14.04 here:
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntuhandbook1/+archive/ubuntu/audacity .

>> > Wow, thanks! I have used Audacity for years and I never saw that before!
>> > Maybe it would have been more intuitive to right click the actual scale
>> > or
>> > something, but that has currently another function…

>> > Thanks again, got it!

>> > Well, since 2007 I'm not…
>>
>> On Linux, 24-bit recording is supported using ALSA or JACK host.
>

> Even with Audacity 2.0.5?

Should do as far as I know.

Gale Andrews