Recording in Stereo from a laptop

Bob Carter
Thanks for a great program, which I find easy to use and well designed.

I have one problem which I cannot find the answer to on your site. I am recording from a cassette player into my laptop using version 1.2.3.  The laptop I have is new, running Windows XP Home Edition, and according to the manual has a dual mic/line-in socket (i.e. it is labelled mic but in the manual states that it is dual function for accepting input from CD players, etc).

When recording in Audacity, if I set the recording source to "line-in", I get no input signal.  If I set it to "mic", the input works fine (though I have to have the gain very low) but I get only a mono signal (even when I set the Preferences to Stereo in Audacity - I just end up with two identical channels).  I have a phono to stereo-jack cable, and when using this my mono signal is only the left channel of the stereo input.  I solved this by using a stereo to mono jack converter, so I can now record two channel stereo onto a mono mix.  However, I would like ideally to get a proper stereo input.

I wrote to Acer, my laptop manufacturer, about this, and they said that I had to "select mic and line in together" to get the stereo functionality. However, I do not see how this is possible.

I'd really appreciate any help you could give me with this.  Many thanks for your time and thanks again for a great program, which apart from this problem has been a joy to use.

Regards
Bob Carter

Re: Recording in Stereo from a laptop

Christian Brochec
Try to look for "stereo mix". That's the line in source on my laptop
(Sony VAIO)

Christian Brochec

Bob Carter a écrit :

>Thanks for a great program, which I find easy to use and well designed.
>
>I have one problem which I cannot find the answer to on your site. I am recording from a cassette player into my laptop using version 1.2.3.  The laptop I have is new, running Windows XP Home Edition, and according to the manual has a dual mic/line-in socket (i.e. it is labelled mic but in the manual states that it is dual function for accepting input from CD players, etc).
>
>When recording in Audacity, if I set the recording source to "line-in", I get no input signal.  If I set it to "mic", the input works fine (though I have to have the gain very low) but I get only a mono signal (even when I set the Preferences to Stereo in Audacity - I just end up with two identical channels).  I have a phono to stereo-jack cable, and when using this my mono signal is only the left channel of the stereo input.  I solved this by using a stereo to mono jack converter, so I can now record two channel stereo onto a mono mix.  However, I would like ideally to get a proper stereo input.
>
>I wrote to Acer, my laptop manufacturer, about this, and they said that I had to "select mic and line in together" to get the stereo functionality. However, I do not see how this is possible.
>
>I'd really appreciate any help you could give me with this.  Many thanks for your time and thanks again for a great program, which apart from this problem has been a joy to use.
>
>Regards
>Bob Carter

Re: Recording in Stereo from a laptop

djnickoftime
there's no option for selecting a different source on the mic jack in the control panel of the acer 5742z and in similar models. any suggestions?