Releasing 2.1.3 today.

James Crook
The main hard work has been done, the new features, the many bug fixes,
the documentation updates, the testing/annotation/closing/reopening of
bugs, translations, the dealing with the moving goalposts of changes in
software platforms!

Today is release day.  Tasks still to do:

- Upload exe/zip/dmg/tarball/help to FossHub (me)
- Update version checking script on wordpress site (me)
- Blog post on wordpress site (me)
- Update 'Online safety when downloading' SHA256's (me)
- Add SHA256 Checksums to Download pages (me)
- Google+ message (me)

- Update static manual to be a copy of alpha manual (Buanzo?)
- Confirm we have backups of everything, wikis forum, wordpress etc
(Buanzo)
- Forum announce sticky-post (Gale or Steve)
- Facebook announce (Steve)
- Twitter announce (Steve)

- Deal with new queries from users (support team).
- No e-mail announce, as per previous discussions.

Anything important I've missed out?

Re: Releasing 2.1.3 today.

On 17 March 2017 at 16:32, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The main hard work has been done, the new features, the many bug fixes,
> the documentation updates, the testing/annotation/closing/reopening of
> bugs, translations, the dealing with the moving goalposts of changes in
> software platforms!
>
> Today is release day.  Tasks still to do:
>
> - Upload exe/zip/dmg/tarball/help to FossHub (me)
> - Update version checking script on wordpress site (me)
> - Blog post on wordpress site (me)
> - Update 'Online safety when downloading' SHA256's (me)
> - Add SHA256 Checksums to Download pages (me)
> - Google+ message (me)
>
> - Update static manual to be a copy of alpha manual (Buanzo?)

I've done that. The plan is to switch it to a clone of alphamanual
with search box as soon as the remaining issue of deleting the
translated pages has been fixed. Buanzo has just captured a
clone as it is now.

Anyone who has still has a title bar in their browser will see "Audacity
Development Manual" instead of "Audacity Manual" both for the
shipped Manual and the online released one. I think I changed the
alphamanual site title back to "Audacity Development Manual" when
it looked like RC2 was the final version then did not change it when
there was an RC3.

Sorry, but when we get the clone I assume that nuisance should be a
problem of the past.

> - Confirm we have backups of everything, wikis forum, wordpress etc
> (Buanzo)
> - Forum announce sticky-post (Gale or Steve)

I'll leave that to Steve.

> - Facebook announce (Steve)
> - Twitter announce (Steve)
>
> - Deal with new queries from users (support team).
> - No e-mail announce, as per previous discussions.

We agreed your release announcement would say the announce
list has gone and mention the new methods, right?

(IMO) it's a shame we had to disable RSS, which was the last
remaining way someone could get reliable e-mail alerts about
Audacity news.

> Anything important I've missed out?

There are a few pages on the main site I'll update, like
download/mac and features.

Re: Releasing 2.1.3 today.

James Crook
On 3/17/2017 5:39 PM, Gale Andrews wrote:

> On 17 March 2017 at 16:32, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The main hard work has been done, the new features, the many bug fixes,
>> the documentation updates, the testing/annotation/closing/reopening of
>> bugs, translations, the dealing with the moving goalposts of changes in
>> software platforms!
>>
>> Today is release day.  Tasks still to do:
>>
>> - Upload exe/zip/dmg/tarball/help to FossHub (me)
>> - Update version checking script on wordpress site (me)
>> - Blog post on wordpress site (me)
>> - Update 'Online safety when downloading' SHA256's (me)
>> - Add SHA256 Checksums to Download pages (me)
>> - Google+ message (me)
Done, except for SHA256 for linux tarball as page was being edited at
the time.
Varnish caching, at least I think it's that, means I am not yet seeing
the updated home page, but I am seeing updated download and blog pages.

>> - Update static manual to be a copy of alpha manual (Buanzo?)
> I've done that.
Again I am not seeing this.

> The plan is to switch it to a clone of alphamanual
> with search box as soon as the remaining issue of deleting the
> translated pages has been fixed. Buanzo has just captured a
> clone as it is now.
>
> Anyone who has still has a title bar in their browser will see "Audacity
> Development Manual" instead of "Audacity Manual" both for the
> shipped Manual and the online released one. I think I changed the
> alphamanual site title back to "Audacity Development Manual" when
> it looked like RC2 was the final version then did not change it when
> there was an RC3.
>
> Sorry, but when we get the clone I assume that nuisance should be a
> problem of the past.
>
>> - Confirm we have backups of everything, wikis forum, wordpress etc
>> (Buanzo)
>> - Forum announce sticky-post (Gale or Steve)
> I'll leave that to Steve.
>
>> - Facebook announce (Steve)
>> - Twitter announce (Steve)
>>
>> - Deal with new queries from users (support team).
>> - No e-mail announce, as per previous discussions.
> We agreed your release announcement would say the announce
> list has gone and mention the new methods, right?
I've lost track of exactly what was agreed, but you are welcome to add
it.  I'm keen that we promote Facebook as a way to get announcements of
various kinds.

> (IMO) it's a shame we had to disable RSS, which was the last
> remaining way someone could get reliable e-mail alerts about
> Audacity news.
>

>> Anything important I've missed out?
> There are a few pages on the main site I'll update, like
> download/mac and features.
Thanks.

Just for interest, 2.1.3 Windows installer has already had 2,300
downloads since I made it 'live' a bit over an hour ago.

Re: Releasing 2.1.3 today.

Paul Licameli
I found this from the sidebar:  http://www.audacityteam.org/audacity-2-1-3-released/

But it's not on the Home page.

PRL

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 2:34 PM, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 3/17/2017 5:39 PM, Gale Andrews wrote:
> On 17 March 2017 at 16:32, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The main hard work has been done, the new features, the many bug fixes,
>> the documentation updates, the testing/annotation/closing/reopening of
>> bugs, translations, the dealing with the moving goalposts of changes in
>> software platforms!
>>
>> Today is release day.  Tasks still to do:
>>
>> - Upload exe/zip/dmg/tarball/help to FossHub (me)
>> - Update version checking script on wordpress site (me)
>> - Blog post on wordpress site (me)
>> - Update 'Online safety when downloading' SHA256's (me)
>> - Add SHA256 Checksums to Download pages (me)
>> - Google+ message (me)
Done, except for SHA256 for linux tarball as page was being edited at
the time.
Varnish caching, at least I think it's that, means I am not yet seeing
the updated home page, but I am seeing updated download and blog pages.

>> - Update static manual to be a copy of alpha manual (Buanzo?)
> I've done that.
Again I am not seeing this.

> The plan is to switch it to a clone of alphamanual
> with search box as soon as the remaining issue of deleting the
> translated pages has been fixed. Buanzo has just captured a
> clone as it is now.
>
> Anyone who has still has a title bar in their browser will see "Audacity
> Development Manual" instead of "Audacity Manual" both for the
> shipped Manual and the online released one. I think I changed the
> alphamanual site title back to "Audacity Development Manual" when
> it looked like RC2 was the final version then did not change it when
> there was an RC3.
>
> Sorry, but when we get the clone I assume that nuisance should be a
> problem of the past.
>
>> - Confirm we have backups of everything, wikis forum, wordpress etc
>> (Buanzo)
>> - Forum announce sticky-post (Gale or Steve)
> I'll leave that to Steve.
>
>> - Facebook announce (Steve)
>> - Twitter announce (Steve)
>>
>> - Deal with new queries from users (support team).
>> - No e-mail announce, as per previous discussions.
> We agreed your release announcement would say the announce
> list has gone and mention the new methods, right?
I've lost track of exactly what was agreed, but you are welcome to add
it.  I'm keen that we promote Facebook as a way to get announcements of
various kinds.

> (IMO) it's a shame we had to disable RSS, which was the last
> remaining way someone could get reliable e-mail alerts about
> Audacity news.
>

>> Anything important I've missed out?
> There are a few pages on the main site I'll update, like
> download/mac and features.
Thanks.

Just for interest, 2.1.3 Windows installer has already had 2,300
downloads since I made it 'live' a bit over an hour ago.

Re: Releasing 2.1.3 today.

Cliff Scott

> On Mar 17, 2017, at 1:34 PM, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 3/17/2017 5:39 PM, Gale Andrews wrote:
>> On 17 March 2017 at 16:32, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> The main hard work has been done, the new features, the many bug fixes,
>>> the documentation updates, the testing/annotation/closing/reopening of
>>> bugs, translations, the dealing with the moving goalposts of changes in
>>> software platforms!
>>>
>>> Today is release day.  Tasks still to do:
>>>
>>> - Upload exe/zip/dmg/tarball/help to FossHub (me)
>>> - Update version checking script on wordpress site (me)
>>> - Blog post on wordpress site (me)
>>> - Update 'Online safety when downloading' SHA256's (me)
>>> - Add SHA256 Checksums to Download pages (me)
>>> - Google+ message (me)
> Done, except for SHA256 for linux tarball as page was being edited at
> the time.
> Varnish caching, at least I think it's that, means I am not yet seeing
> the updated home page, but I am seeing updated download and blog pages.
>

>>> - Update static manual to be a copy of alpha manual (Buanzo?)
>> I've done that.
> Again I am not seeing this.

Not seeing this either.

>> The plan is to switch it to a clone of alphamanual
>> with search box as soon as the remaining issue of deleting the
>> translated pages has been fixed. Buanzo has just captured a
>> clone as it is now.
>>
>> Anyone who has still has a title bar in their browser will see "Audacity
>> Development Manual" instead of "Audacity Manual" both for the
>> shipped Manual and the online released one. I think I changed the
>> alphamanual site title back to "Audacity Development Manual" when
>> it looked like RC2 was the final version then did not change it when
>> there was an RC3.
>>
>> Sorry, but when we get the clone I assume that nuisance should be a
>> problem of the past.
>>
>>> - Confirm we have backups of everything, wikis forum, wordpress etc
>>> (Buanzo)
>>> - Forum announce sticky-post (Gale or Steve)
>> I'll leave that to Steve.
>>
>>> - Facebook announce (Steve)
>>> - Twitter announce (Steve)
>>>
>>> - Deal with new queries from users (support team).
>>> - No e-mail announce, as per previous discussions.
>> We agreed your release announcement would say the announce
>> list has gone and mention the new methods, right?
> I've lost track of exactly what was agreed, but you are welcome to add
> it.  I'm keen that we promote Facebook as a way to get announcements of
> various kinds.
>
>> (IMO) it's a shame we had to disable RSS, which was the last
>> remaining way someone could get reliable e-mail alerts about
>> Audacity news.
>>

>>> Anything important I've missed out?
>> There are a few pages on the main site I'll update, like
>> download/mac and features.
> Thanks.
>
> Just for interest, 2.1.3 Windows installer has already had 2,300
> downloads since I made it 'live' a bit over an hour ago.
>
> --James.

Just to be sure I didn't miss something, the release version is binary identical to RC3 which was jc13, correct?

Cliff

Re: Releasing 2.1.3 today.

On 3/17/2017 7:04 PM, Paul Licameli wrote:
> I found this from the sidebar:
> http://www.audacityteam.org/audacity-2-1-3-released/
>
> But it's not on the Home page.
>
> PRL
Delays with Varnish cache updates.  I wasn't seeing it either, but I am
seeing it now.

Re: Releasing 2.1.3 today.

On 17 March 2017 at 18:34, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 3/17/2017 5:39 PM, Gale Andrews wrote:
>> On 17 March 2017 at 16:32, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> The main hard work has been done, the new features, the many bug fixes,
>>> the documentation updates, the testing/annotation/closing/reopening of
>>> bugs, translations, the dealing with the moving goalposts of changes in
>>> software platforms!
>>>
>>> Today is release day.  Tasks still to do:
>>>
>>> - Upload exe/zip/dmg/tarball/help to FossHub (me)
>>> - Update version checking script on wordpress site (me)
>>> - Blog post on wordpress site (me)
>>> - Update 'Online safety when downloading' SHA256's (me)
>>> - Add SHA256 Checksums to Download pages (me)
>>> - Google+ message (me)
> Done, except for SHA256 for linux tarball as page was being edited at
> the time.

I've updated that page.

In fact I've now been through I think all the pages and fixed/updated
links and updated text/removed redundant text (e.g. removed that
Windows 10 was not supported).

Also changed the footer to say 2.1.3.

> Varnish caching, at least I think it's that, means I am not yet seeing
> the updated home page, but I am seeing updated download and blog pages.
>

>>> - Update static manual to be a copy of alpha manual (Buanzo?)
>> I've done that.
> Again I am not seeing this.

Is everyone seeing it now? It was amazingly slow to update in Firefox
on Sierra.

>> The plan is to switch it to a clone of alphamanual
>> with search box as soon as the remaining issue of deleting the
>> translated pages has been fixed. Buanzo has just captured a
>> clone as it is now.
>>
>> Anyone who has still has a title bar in their browser will see "Audacity
>> Development Manual" instead of "Audacity Manual" both for the
>> shipped Manual and the online released one. I think I changed the
>> alphamanual site title back to "Audacity Development Manual" when
>> it looked like RC2 was the final version then did not change it when
>> there was an RC3.
>>
>> Sorry, but when we get the clone I assume that nuisance should be a
>> problem of the past.
>>
>>> - Confirm we have backups of everything, wikis forum, wordpress etc
>>> (Buanzo)
>>> - Forum announce sticky-post (Gale or Steve)
>> I'll leave that to Steve.
>>
>>> - Facebook announce (Steve)
>>> - Twitter announce (Steve)
>>>
>>> - Deal with new queries from users (support team).
>>> - No e-mail announce, as per previous discussions.
>> We agreed your release announcement would say the announce
>> list has gone and mention the new methods, right?
> I've lost track of exactly what was agreed, but you are welcome to add
> it.

Vaughan and I wanted the news item to say that the e-mail list had
gone. Don't know if you yourself agreed. It isn't actually about the
release, I agree, but how to get the new arrangements known widely
in a place where most people will see it?

> I'm keen that we promote Facebook as a way to get announcements of
> various kinds.

And Twitter?  I think it would be worth having a blog post about how
to keep in touch... but as you know those posts are hard to find.

Gale

>> (IMO) it's a shame we had to disable RSS, which was the last
>> remaining way someone could get reliable e-mail alerts about
>> Audacity news.
>>

>>> Anything important I've missed out?
>> There are a few pages on the main site I'll update, like
>> download/mac and features.
> Thanks.
>
> Just for interest, 2.1.3 Windows installer has already had 2,300
> downloads since I made it 'live' a bit over an hour ago.

Re: Releasing 2.1.3 today.

My suggestion. Where we say "Audacity 2.1.3 replaces all previous
versions" in the news item, add a sentence there:

"We no longer announce new releases by email, but you can now keep in
touch with all our news on Facebook, Twitter or Google+."

Or similar. Facebook, Twitter and Google+ are links of course.

Gale

On 17 March 2017 at 20:53, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 17 March 2017 at 18:34, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Done, except for SHA256 for linux tarball as page was being edited at
>> the time.
>
> I've updated that page.
>
> In fact I've now been through I think all the pages and fixed/updated
> links and updated text/removed redundant text (e.g. removed that
> Windows 10 was not supported).
>
> Also changed the footer to say 2.1.3.
>
>> Varnish caching, at least I think it's that, means I am not yet seeing
>> the updated home page, but I am seeing updated download and blog pages.

>>> I've done that.
>> Again I am not seeing this.
>
> Is everyone seeing it now? It was amazingly slow to update in Firefox
> on Sierra.
>

>>> The plan is to switch it to a clone of alphamanual
>>> with search box as soon as the remaining issue of deleting the
>>> translated pages has been fixed. Buanzo has just captured a
>>> clone as it is now.
>>>
>>> Anyone who has still has a title bar in their browser will see "Audacity
>>> Development Manual" instead of "Audacity Manual" both for the
>>> shipped Manual and the online released one. I think I changed the
>>> alphamanual site title back to "Audacity Development Manual" when
>>> it looked like RC2 was the final version then did not change it when
>>> there was an RC3.
>>>
>>> Sorry, but when we get the clone I assume that nuisance should be a
>>> problem of the past.

>>> I'll leave that to Steve.

>>> We agreed your release announcement would say the announce
>>> list has gone and mention the new methods, right?
>> I've lost track of exactly what was agreed, but you are welcome to add
>> it.
>
> Vaughan and I wanted the news item to say that the e-mail list had
> gone. Don't know if you yourself agreed. It isn't actually about the
> release, I agree, but how to get the new arrangements known widely
> in a place where most people will see it?
>

>> I'm keen that we promote Facebook as a way to get announcements of
>> various kinds.
>
> And Twitter?  I think it would be worth having a blog post about how
> to keep in touch... but as you know those posts are hard to find.
>

> Gale
>
>>> (IMO) it's a shame we had to disable RSS, which was the last
>>> remaining way someone could get reliable e-mail alerts about
>>> Audacity news.

>>> There are a few pages on the main site I'll update, like
>>> download/mac and features.
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Just for interest, 2.1.3 Windows installer has already had 2,300
>> downloads since I made it 'live' a bit over an hour ago.
>>
>> --James.

Re: Releasing 2.1.3 today.

On 3/17/2017 8:53 PM, Gale Andrews wrote:
> In fact I've now been through I think all the pages and fixed/updated
> links and updated text/removed redundant text (e.g. removed that
> Windows 10 was not supported).
>
> Also changed the footer to say 2.1.3.
Thanks.

>> I'm keen that we promote Facebook as a way to get announcements of
>> various kinds.
> And Twitter?
I think Twitter is mainly useful for 'status' e.g. server status when
main way of communication has gone down, and for 'teases', e.g hinting
about new products.  I don't see it as particularly helpful for engaging
users and getting them involved - which is where I feel we would most
benefit by improving.

> I think it would be worth having a blog post about how
> to keep in touch... but as you know those posts are hard to find.
We could post a link to that post on our facebook page to help people
find it :-)

Chicken and egg.  We basically need to build more engaging content as
interesting blog posts, re-post them as Facebook links, and grow the
facebook interest levels that way.  The blog posts need photos. It is
not enough to do text alone, no matter how interesting the text.

Re: Releasing 2.1.3 today.

On 17 March 2017 at 21:10, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 3/17/2017 8:53 PM, Gale Andrews wrote:
>> In fact I've now been through I think all the pages and fixed/updated
>> links and updated text/removed redundant text (e.g. removed that
>> Windows 10 was not supported).
>>
>> Also changed the footer to say 2.1.3.
> Thanks.
>>
>>> I'm keen that we promote Facebook as a way to get announcements of
>>> various kinds.
>> And Twitter?
> I think Twitter is mainly useful for 'status' e.g. server status when
> main way of communication has gone down, and for 'teases', e.g hinting
> about new products.  I don't see it as particularly helpful for engaging
> users and getting them involved - which is where I feel we would most
> benefit by improving.
>
>> I think it would be worth having a blog post about how
>> to keep in touch... but as you know those posts are hard to find.
> We could post a link to that post on our facebook page to help people
> find it :-)

The humour is lost on me. The posts are in far too an obscure position,
and we are letting our former -announce subscribers down if we don't
say somewhere that the announce list has gone and what they can
do about it.

Gale

James wrote:
> Anything important I've missed out?

There are a few P1s that need attention to in the Wiki (stuff that
can only be done after release, that relate to 2.1.3 changes)

I'll get to those early tomorrow (Monday morning).

Re: Releasing 2.1.3 today.

Peter Sampson-2

On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 4:05 PM, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:
James wrote:
> Anything important I've missed out?

There are a few P1s that need attention to in the Wiki (stuff that
can only be done after release, that relate to 2.1.3 changes)

I'll get to those early tomorrow (Monday morning).

Peter

Oh - and I'll also be working on updating the Wikipedia page for Audacity.

Re: Releasing 2.1.3 today.

Stevethefiddle
Congratulations to everyone in accomplishing the release.

Steve