Quantcast

Removing silence

michael-15-3
Greetings

  I am fairly new to audacity (1.3.7 beta on linux) and have found it
an awesome tool but am struggling with a small but repetive tasks
which consumes vast amounts of time.

  I regularly edit recordings from TeamSpeak (voice chat system used
mostly by gamers and MMOG's) and these have many silences in the
recording which I currently manually remove.

  I see there is an option under analyse to find silences ("Silence
finder") which works well, however I am unable to find a way to mass
delete all the silences.

  I would appreciate any assistnace in cutting down the time it take
to manually remove these silences.

--

R e g a r d s
M i c h a e l  L  G r i f f i n

He who play in root,
           eventually kill tree.

Re: Removing silence

Dave-211
Hi
I think you have to look under apply and edit chains.
    THANKYOU DAVE-211

>  I am fairly new to audacity (1.3.7 beta on linux) and have found it
> an awesome tool but am struggling with a small but repetive tasks
> which consumes vast amounts of time.
>
>  I regularly edit recordings from TeamSpeak (voice chat system used
> mostly by gamers and MMOG's) and these have many silences in the
> recording which I currently manually remove.
>
>  I see there is an option under analyse to find silences ("Silence
> finder") which works well, however I am unable to find a way to mass
> delete all the silences.
>
>  I would appreciate any assistnace in cutting down the time it take
> to manually remove these silences.
>
> --
>
> R e g a r d s
> M i c h a e l  L  G r i f f i n
> [hidden email]
> http://www.griffin.za.net
> Fax : +27 86 670 8945
> Cell : +27 83 462 0462
>
> He who play in root,
>           eventually kill tree.

Re: Removing silence

uvw111-reverb

--- On Fri, 8/5/09, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:

  I see there is an option under analyse to find silences ("Silence
finder") which works well, however I am unable to find a way to mass
delete all the silences.

  I would appreciate any assistnace in cutting down the time it take
to manually remove these silences.

You'll be wantin' Truncate silence

Re: Removing silence

Gale (Audacity Team)
Administrator
uvw111-reverb said:
>> On Fri, 8/5/09, Michael <milegrin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I see there is an option under analyse to find silences ("Silence
>> finder") which works well, however I am unable to find a way to mass
>> delete all the silences.
>
> You'll be wantin' Truncate silence

Thanks. Just to note that where it says on that Tutorial:
http://www.richardcravy.com/?p=46

that Truncate Silence does not work on stereo tracks, it now does.
In 1.3.8 Truncate Silence will have a new feature to compress
silences by a chosen factor, if they occur other than at the start of
the region being dealt with.