Rename Note tracks to MIDI tracks

Peter Sampson-2
James wrote in a parallel thread (and sorry I can't find it right now) that for 2.2.1
we should consider renaming Note tracks to MIDI tracks.

I support this idea - but I strongly think we should temporarily lift the semi-freddo for this
and do it for 2.2.0.

My reasoning for this is that with 2.2.0 we are putting a much sharper and bigger focus
on this with Audacity providing functioning MIDI playback for the first time- and thus this
would be the ideal time to make the switch, I'm thinking.

AFAIK nothing else but importing a MIDI file is the only way to get a Note track - so I see
no reason not to do this - the only question is: do we do it now?

Just my 2c-worth

Re: Rename Note tracks to MIDI tracks

James Crook
On 7/29/2017 12:06 PM, Peter Sampson wrote:
> James wrote in a parallel thread (and sorry I can't find it right now) that
> for 2.2.1
> we should consider renaming Note tracks to MIDI tracks.
>
> I support this idea - but I strongly think we should temporarily lift the
> semi-freddo for this
> and do it for 2.2.0.
Many translators have already submitted .po files for 2.2.0, for the
test build.
I think it could/would make sense to rename to MIDI Track after the test
build, if we do it, as the translators are expecting/ready for tweaks
after that build.

--James.

> My reasoning for this is that with 2.2.0 we are putting a much sharper and
> bigger focus
> on this with Audacity providing functioning MIDI playback for the first
> time- and thus this
> would be the ideal time to make the switch, I'm thinking.
>
> AFAIK nothing else but importing a MIDI file is the only way to get a Note
> track - so I see
> no reason not to do this - the only question is: do we do it now?
>
> Just my 2c-worth
>
> Peter.

Re: Rename Note tracks to MIDI tracks

Stevethefiddle
On 29 July 2017 at 14:24, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 7/29/2017 12:06 PM, Peter Sampson wrote:
>>
>> James wrote in a parallel thread (and sorry I can't find it right now)
>> that
>> for 2.2.1
>> we should consider renaming Note tracks to MIDI tracks.
>>
>> I support this idea - but I strongly think we should temporarily lift the
>> semi-freddo for this
>> and do it for 2.2.0.
>
> Many translators have already submitted .po files for 2.2.0, for the test
> build.
> I think it could/would make sense to rename to MIDI Track after the test
> build, if we do it, as the translators are expecting/ready for tweaks after
> that build.
>

> --James.
>

>> My reasoning for this is that with 2.2.0 we are putting a much sharper and
>> bigger focus
>> on this with Audacity providing functioning MIDI playback for the first
>> time- and thus this
>> would be the ideal time to make the switch, I'm thinking.
>>
>> AFAIK nothing else but importing a MIDI file is the only way to get a Note
>> track

A Note Track can also be created by importing an Allegro (.gro) file.

Although .GRO files are imported via the "File > Import > MIDI" menu,
.GRO files are not MIDI files, they are very different (try opening a
.GRO file in a text editor).

In testing this, I notice several bugs:

1) Dragging and dropping a .GRO file does not work (Audacity does not
recognise the file type.

2) Selecting the "Allegro (.gro)" file type in the "File > Save Other
> Export MIDI" does not export an Allegro file unless ".gro" is typed
as the file extension. If no file extension is given, a MIDI (.MID)
file is exported.

3)
i) Launch Audacity
ii) Import a MIDI file
iii) Import another MIDI file
iv) Delete the second Note Track by clicking on the [X]
v) "File > Save Other >"
The "Export MIDI" option is greyed out, even though the project
contains a Note track.

Steve

On Sat, Jul 29, 2017 at 2:53 PM, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 29 July 2017 at 14:24, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 7/29/2017 12:06 PM, Peter Sampson wrote:
>>
>> James wrote in a parallel thread (and sorry I can't find it right now)
>> that
>> for 2.2.1
>> we should consider renaming Note tracks to MIDI tracks.
>>
>> I support this idea - but I strongly think we should temporarily lift the
>> semi-freddo for this
>> and do it for 2.2.0.
>
> Many translators have already submitted .po files for 2.2.0, for the test
> build.
> I think it could/would make sense to rename to MIDI Track after the test
> build, if we do it, as the translators are expecting/ready for tweaks after
> that build.
>

> --James.
>

>> My reasoning for this is that with 2.2.0 we are putting a much sharper and
>> bigger focus
>> on this with Audacity providing functioning MIDI playback for the first
>> time- and thus this
>> would be the ideal time to make the switch, I'm thinking.
>>
>> AFAIK nothing else but importing a MIDI file is the only way to get a Note
>> track

A Note Track can also be created by importing an Allegro (.gro) file.

Which begs the question:  can you play an Allegro file in an Audacity Note track
(on all three platforms - with/without softsynths)?

If someone can please send me a .gro Allegro file for testing that would be most helpful.

I assume that this means that we should also be mentioning Allegro files on the
Notes tracks page in addition to the MIDI stuff?

Although .GRO files are imported via the "File > Import > MIDI" menu,
.GRO files are not MIDI files, they are very different (try opening a
.GRO file in a text editor).

In testing this, I notice several bugs:

1) Dragging and dropping a .GRO file does not work (Audacity does not
recognise the file type.

2) Selecting the "Allegro (.gro)" file type in the "File > Save Other
> Export MIDI" does not export an Allegro file unless ".gro" is typed
as the file extension. If no file extension is given, a MIDI (.MID)
file is exported.

3)
i) Launch Audacity
ii) Import a MIDI file
iii) Import another MIDI file
iv) Delete the second Note Track by clicking on the [X]
v) "File > Save Other >"
The "Export MIDI" option is greyed out, even though the project
contains a Note track.

So are you going to raise Bugzilla entries for these bugs Steve?

Cheers,

>- so I see
>> no reason not to do this - the only question is: do we do it now?
>>
>> Just my 2c-worth
>>
>> Peter.

Re: Rename Note tracks to MIDI tracks

Peter Sampson-2
In the light of Steve's comments about NOte tracks and MIDI - and now Allegro.

I note that we have a command called File>Import MIDI

we don't have a command File>Import Notes (or similar) to handle both formats

Just saying ...

But it leaves me wondering what we should be doing about this  ???

Peter.

On 30 July 2017 at 13:22, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In the light of Steve's comments about NOte tracks and MIDI - and now
> Allegro.
>
> I note that we have a command called File>Import MIDI
>
> we don't have a command File>Import Notes (or similar) to handle both
> formats
>
> Just saying ...
>
> But it leaves me wondering what we should be doing about this  ???
>
> Peter.
>
> On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 12:59 PM, Peter Sampson
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On Sat, Jul 29, 2017 at 2:53 PM, Steve the Fiddle
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> A Note Track can also be created by importing an Allegro (.gro) file.
>>

>> Which begs the question:  can you play an Allegro file in an Audacity Note
>> track

I would have though so, but I can't currently play any Note tracks on Linux.

>> (on all three platforms - with/without softsynths)?
>>
>> If someone can please send me a .gro Allegro file for testing that would
>> be most helpful.

You can easily make one yourself:

1) Import a MIDI file
2) "File menu > Save Other > Export MIDI"
3) Select "ALlegro file (*.gro)" as the file type
4) Enter a file name WITH ".gro" FILE EXTENSION
5) Export.
You should now have an Allegro file.

>> I assume that this means that we should also be mentioning Allegro files
>> on the
>> Notes tracks page in addition to the MIDI stuff?

Yes we should (imo).

>>> Although .GRO files are imported via the "File > Import > MIDI" menu,
>>> .GRO files are not MIDI files, they are very different (try opening a
>>> .GRO file in a text editor).
>>>
>>> In testing this, I notice several bugs:
>>>
>>> 1) Dragging and dropping a .GRO file does not work (Audacity does not
>>> recognise the file type.
>>>
>>> 2) Selecting the "Allegro (.gro)" file type in the "File > Save Other
>>> as the file extension. If no file extension is given, a MIDI (.MID)
>>> file is exported.
>>>
>>> 3)
>>> i) Launch Audacity
>>> ii) Import a MIDI file
>>> iii) Import another MIDI file
>>> iv) Delete the second Note Track by clicking on the [X]
>>> v) "File > Save Other >"
>>> The "Export MIDI" option is greyed out, even though the project
>>> contains a Note track.
>>

>> So are you going to raise Bugzilla entries for these bugs Steve?

Not had time yet, but yes will do.

Steve