Renamed copies of audacity sold on eBay

Tom B-2
Hi.

Sorry, I'm new to the list, this might be common knowledge.  I also realize
that it might not directly be illegal since Audacity is GPL.  Anyways,
here's an example of a seller selling a renamed version of audacity on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/RECORD-AUDIO-STREAMING-SOUND-RADIO-CAPTURE-SOFTWARE_W0QQitemZ5797274217QQcategoryZ51346QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just thought you might like to know

Tom

Re: Renamed copies of audacity sold on eBay

Jack Woehr
Tom B wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Sorry, I'm new to the list, this might be common knowledge.  I also
> realize that it might not directly be illegal since Audacity is GPL.

It violates the GPL to distribute for more than the cost of media.

>   Anyways,  here's an example of a seller selling a renamed version of
> audacity on ebay:

eBay has been pretty slack about illegal auctions of GPL'ed software.
Maybe the Free Software Foundation
should sue them.

--
Jack J. Woehr                 # Please change your address book listing
PO Box 51, Golden, CO 80402   # for me to "[hidden email]" for all email.

Re: Renamed copies of audacity sold on eBay

Phil Obbard
Oh... that's awful. And someone is paying $9.99 who, unfortunately,
has a private bidding ID... well, at least she/he is geting a good
piece of software.

--Phil

Adjusting Treble and Base AFTER Recording In Audacity

Greg Burlile
How can I adjust an audio file that has been recorded in Audacity that has
too much bass.

I'm fairly new to Audacity, so sorry if this is a newbie question.

Thanks in advance for your help

Greg Burlile
Pastor
Darby Creek Community Church
[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
http://www.darbycreek.org

Hiss Problem

Scott Lewis-3
I've got an odd problem that no one I know can figure out.

When using either my iMac or Powerbook, I get a loud hiss when
importing from my MD via 1/8" stereo cable and Griffin iMic. I've used
different 1/8" cords but the problem is exactly the same on both
machines. The hiss occurs once record in Audacity is hit and occurs
exactly the same if there's a MD plugged in or not. The audio import
fine, it's just covered with this awful hiss. It occurs when using Peak
as well.

Any thoughts??

www.scottlewisphotography.com
917-386-4555, mobile
609-860-9116, office/fax

Re: Renamed copies of audacity sold on eBay

Chuck Bearden
On 8/10/05, Jack Woehr <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Tom B wrote:
>
> > Hi.
> >
> > Sorry, I'm new to the list, this might be common knowledge.  I also
> > realize that it might not directly be illegal since Audacity is GPL.
>
> It violates the GPL to distribute for more than the cost of media.

I think the GPL stipulates only that the _source code_ must be made
available for no more than the cost of the physical distribution (see
GPL part 3b).  In part 1, however, it reads "You may charge a fee for
the physical act of transferring a copy, and you may at your option
offer warranty protection in exchange for a fee."  I don't think this
passage limits the fee one may charge to distribute the binary
program.

Note also that this same restriction (not being entitled to sell the
software for more than the expense of the distribution) is considered
a "serious problem" with some versions of the AT&T Public License [2].

See also this passage from an essay [3] in the "Philosophy" section of GNU.org:

"Actually we encourage people who redistribute free software to charge
as much as they wish or can. If this seems surprising to you, please
read on."

The seller is almost certainly violating the GPL in a different way,
namely by redistributing the software without proper attribution.
That indeed sucks.

Chuck

[1] <http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl.html>
[2] <http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/index_html>
[3] <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html>

Chuck Bearden wrote:

>I think the GPL stipulates only that the _source code_ must be made
>available for no more than the cost of the physical distribution (see
>GPL part 3b)

... <snip> ...

>The seller is almost certainly violating the GPL in a different way,
>namely by redistributing the software without proper attribution.
>That indeed sucks.

Chuck has described the situation more accurately than I did
in my previous message to the list.

--
Jack J. Woehr                 # Please change your address book listing
PO Box 51, Golden, CO 80402   # for me to "[hidden email]" for all email.
http://www.well.com/~jax      # DELETE LISTING: "[hidden email]"

Re: Renamed copies of audacity sold on eBay

Josh Hayden
Jack Woehr wrote:

> Tom B wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> Sorry, I'm new to the list, this might be common knowledge.  I also
>> realize that it might not directly be illegal since Audacity is GPL.
>

> It violates the GPL to distribute for more than the cost of media.

Actually, this isn't true. Check out the GPL FAQ for a better
understanding:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#TOCDoesTheGPLAllowDownloadFee

Their ebay listing doesn't talk anywhere about obtaining the source
code. If you get on their website
(http://www.luxuriousity.com/soundmulti.htm), they talk about getting
the source code when you buy the CD from them. Look near the end of the
page. But then it says that only some of the "editions" include the
source code. They might be violating the GPL; I don't know. I wish I had
a greater understaning of the license.

>>   Anyways,  here's an example of a seller selling a renamed version
>> of audacity on ebay:
>

> eBay has been pretty slack about illegal auctions of GPL'ed software.
> Maybe the Free Software Foundation
> should sue them.

Actually, it would be the Audacity develpers who would sue them because
they own the copyright to it. FSF doesn't; they only created the license
under which Audacity is licensed. See the last 2 paragraphs of this
page: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-violation.html.

Josh

Re: Renamed copies of audacity sold on eBay

Graham Mitchell
> Their ebay listing doesn't talk anywhere about obtaining the source
> code. If you get on their website
> (http://www.luxuriousity.com/soundmulti.htm), they talk about getting
> the source code when you buy the CD from them.

Goodness.  It's amazing how many people on this list haven't read the Audacity
FAQ.

See question # 4: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq?s=general&i=ebay

Q: Someone is selling Audacity on eBay. Is this legal?

A: It is legal to sell Audacity, as long as the seller makes the program and
source code available under the GNU General Public License.

Also, the GPL *does not* require that you supply source code to just anyone;
you must only supply source code to people you distribute binaries to.

And you're even allowed to charge a reasonable amount for the source code if
you have media costs (CD-ROM costs, postage).

And you may charge *whatever you like* for the binary.

If I wanted to take a current copy of the Audacity source, rename everything
to "Graham's Cool Sound Editor", compile it for Windows and sell the CD-ROMs
for $400 a pop on my own website, it would be perfectly legal.  I don't even
have to provide source on the CD.

But, any purchasers of my CD could also request source, and I'd be compelled
to give it to them, though I could put it on a second CD and charge say $5
shipping and handling for it.

Not only this, but Luxuriosity in particular actually donates a little to the
Audacity project from their proceeds.  Or at least they used to.

This is not to say that they are the "good guys", but what they're doing is
legal and not even against eBay's terms of service.

--
Graham Mitchell - computer science teacher, Leander High School
"It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I

Re: Renamed copies of audacity sold on eBay

Tom B-2
Same seller also sells copies of GIMP under a series of false names.
Sickening.

-Tom

Re: Renamed copies of audacity sold on eBay

Josh Hayden
They also sell OpenOffice as "Office Professional" on their website:
http://www.luxuriousity.com/.

Josh

Tom B wrote:

> Same seller also sells copies of GIMP under a series of false names.
> Sickening.
>
> -Tom

> Practices
> Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams * Testing
> & QA

Re: Renamed copies of audacity sold on eBay

Chuck Bearden
There seems even to be an audacityteam.org wiki entry about it:

<http://www.audacityteam.org/wiki/index.pl?LuxuriousitySound>

On 8/10/05, Josh Hayden <[hidden email]> wrote:

> They also sell OpenOffice as "Office Professional" on their website:
> http://www.luxuriousity.com/.
>
> Josh
>
> Tom B wrote:
>
> > Same seller also sells copies of GIMP under a series of false names.
> > Sickening.
> >
> > -Tom

> > September 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development Lifecycle
> > Practices
> > Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams * Testing
> > & QA
> > Security * Process Improvement & Measurement * http://www.sqe.com/bsce5sf

Re: Adjusting Treble and Base AFTER Recording In Audacity

>>>Greg Burlile : How can I adjust an audio file that has been recorded in
Audacity that has  too much bass.

Select all then click effect and FFT filter and reduce the lower frequencies (left hand side of the graph).
incidentally - anyone  - is this effect possible by inputting negative numbers in the bass boost, I have tried it but did not "seem" to work?

Greg, if you have more basic questions as you learn Audacity , audacity-help may be the better list to ask

Gale Andrews

Outbound message clean.
Tested on: 11/08/2005 04:14:59

Re: Adjusting Treble and Base AFTER Recording In Audacity

Rich-2
Hey, I have a related question that's been bothering me for over a year with
Audacity:

The frequency scale on the FFT filter seems logarithmic, and therefore
biased towards the higher frequencies, where little music tends to reside.
This plug-in has to be by far the most difficult to use that I've
encountered, and I've struggled with it mightily.  The FFT filter seems like
something created in a mad scientist's lab.

Isn't there, like, a regular, normal 6-12 band parametric equalizer
available that works like what you'd see on the shelves of any ordinary
hi-fi or pro recording equipment retailer, or like what's built into Windows
Media Player or any of the other dozen or so media players available for the
PC?
Thanks.

Rich
> Audacity that has  too much bass.
>
> Select all then click effect and FFT filter and reduce the lower
frequencies (left hand side of the graph).
> incidentally - anyone  - is this effect possible by inputting negative
numbers in the bass boost, I have tried it but did not "seem" to work?

> Greg, if you have more basic questions as you learn Audacity ,
audacity-help may be the better list to ask

> Gale Andrews
>

> Outbound message clean.
> Tested on: 11/08/2005 04:14:59

Re: Adjusting Treble and Base AFTER Recording In Audacity

Shawn K. Quinn
On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 21:16 -0700, Rich wrote:
> [...]Windows Media Player or any of the other dozen or so media
> players available for the PC?

As a sidenote here, usage of "for the PC" to mean "for Windows" has
great potential to be confusing. Hardware is made for the PC (though
with the adoption of the PCI and USB buses in other architectures, even
this isn't as strict as it used to be), operating systems are made for
the PC, but software which runs under those operating systems is made
for that operating system (i.e. Windows, GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD,
OpenBSD, Solaris, etc).

--
Shawn K. Quinn <[hidden email]>

Re: Adjusting Treble and Base AFTER Recording In Audacity

David Hostetler-3
um... I think that you ment to say that the frequency scale is linear and
what you would like it to be a logarithmic scale to make it easier to
twiddle the mid and low frequencies.

Also, you probably ment a graphic equalizer with 6 or 12 bands, since
parametric equalizers have controls for the frequency, the amount of
boost/cut and maybe the Q or width of the filter. I have never used a
parametric equalizer, but it would seem more difficult to work with,
especially if you moved the frequency setting of two sections too close and
had some interaction. Of course, on a computer you could have a graphic
display of exactly what each section of a parametric eq is doing, as well as
an over view, so that could make it easier.

> Hey, I have a related question that's been bothering me for over a year
> with
> Audacity:
>
> The frequency scale on the FFT filter seems logarithmic, and therefore
> biased towards the higher frequencies, where little music tends to reside.
> This plug-in has to be by far the most difficult to use that I've
> encountered, and I've struggled with it mightily.  The FFT filter seems
> like
> something created in a mad scientist's lab.
>
> Isn't there, like, a regular, normal 6-12 band parametric equalizer
> available that works like what you'd see on the shelves of any ordinary
> hi-fi or pro recording equipment retailer, or like what's built into
> Windows
> Media Player or any of the other dozen or so media players available for
> the
> PC?
> Thanks.
>
> Rich

Thanks David, I stand corrected on all counts.  Nonetheless, Audacity's FFT
filter still bites.  Any suggestions out there along the lines of a stanard
graphic equalizer?

Rich

Richard M. Stallman wrote:

>Whether they are violating the GPL depends on details not stated here.
>(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html might help you determine
>this.)  If they are, then the copyright holders of Audacity should
>contact the Software Freedom Law Center for help in enforcing the GPL.
>They can write to [hidden email].

Hi Richard, thanks for setting that straight.

--
Jack J. Woehr                 # Please change your address book listing
PO Box 51, Golden, CO 80402   # for me to "[hidden email]" for all email.
http://www.well.com/~jax      # DELETE LISTING: "[hidden email]"

Re: Adjusting Treble and Base AFTER Recording In Audacity

Graham Mitchell
> Nonetheless, Audacity's FFT filter still bites.

Actually, Audacity's FFT filter is decent.  As far as FFT filters go, it's not
bad.  However, that's only if you're looking for a *FFT filter*, which is an
extremely powerful signal-shaping tool that can do a lot more in the hands of
an expert than any silly equalizer.

Unfortunately, most of Audacity's users these days (myself included) don't
have the foggiest idea what a FFT is or how to use it.  (By the way, FFT is
"fast fourier transform".)

So for "the rest of us", it's hard enough to use to be effectively useless.
Which doesn't mean it needs to be removed, mind you.

> Any suggestions out there along the lines of a standard
> graphic equalizer?

The biggest problem with that (and the reason that Audacity doesn't have one
of these yet) is that a real equalizer is incredibly hard to use when you
can't tweak it in real time.  You end up having to set a value, apply the
effect, wait for it to finish, then play it, then undo, then set a new value,
etc.  It works, but it's tiresome.

Some of the core developers have been spending some of their free time on
"Mezzo", which is a rewrite of the internals of Audacity from scratch.  It's
years out, I'd say, but once Audacity is rewritten to use Mezzo internally
(and probably libpostfish, too), then it'll be able to handle real-time
effects that you can tweak while you're listening, and I bet it'll have a
damn fine graphical equalizer built in.

In the meantime, you might find that the 10-band equalizer Nyquist plug-in
that David Sky wrote a while back is better than nothing.

It's on the Nyquist plug-ins page, about a quarter of the way down.  I'm not
posting a direct link, because I half think that many people haven't bothered
to look at any of the Nyquist plug-ins, and having to manually scan the list
will lead y'all to find some others you're interested in, too.

The Nyquist plug-ins page is here:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/nyquistplugins

--
Graham Mitchell - computer science teacher, Leander High School
Axioms of RISC design: