Reset Preferences translation in Unicode langages

Reset Preferences translation in Unicode langages

The "Reset Preferences?" translations in win\audacity.iss are not
displayed correctly in the Windows installer if the language requires
Unicode such as Russian or a Chinese language.

The remainder of the installer does not have any Unicode problems, and
this was not a problem in 2.1.2.

Before I put this on our Bugzilla, is it an Inno bug? What version of
Inno did you use, James? .

See:
http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=94863&p=322212 .

Re: Reset Preferences translation in Unicode langages

James Crook
On 2/13/2017 1:28 PM, Gale Andrews wrote:
> The "Reset Preferences?" translations in win\audacity.iss are not
> displayed correctly in the Windows installer if the language requires
> Unicode such as Russian or a Chinese language.
>
> The remainder of the installer does not have any Unicode problems, and
> this was not a problem in 2.1.2.
>
> Before I put this on our Bugzilla, is it an Inno bug? What version of
> Inno did you use, James? .
I'm using Inno Script Studio 2.2.2.32 (20151020-065430)
which invokes Inno Setup Compiler 5.5.9 (u).

[Reset Preferences is the only custom message.]

> See:
> http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=94863&p=322212 .

Re: Reset Preferences translation in Unicode langages

I'm using 5.5.9 (u) also. I see the corrupt characters when I open the
current audacity.iss in that version of Inno.

But if I open my custom audacity.iss used for the nightly builds in Inno,
I see correct characters. An installer built from that iss file displays
correct characters.

I think my custom iss file is the one used for 2.1.2 manually updated
for my two changes on April 13th and 19th 2016.

I don't know if Benjamin's subsequent commit
https://github.com/audacity/audacity/blob/master/win/audacity.iss

presumably from a Linux machine is somehow related to the problem
but the characters display correctly online there for that commit.

Gale

On 13 February 2017 at 14:16, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2/13/2017 1:28 PM, Gale Andrews wrote:
>> The "Reset Preferences?" translations in win\audacity.iss are not
>> displayed correctly in the Windows installer if the language requires
>> Unicode such as Russian or a Chinese language.
>>
>> The remainder of the installer does not have any Unicode problems, and
>> this was not a problem in 2.1.2.
>>
>> Before I put this on our Bugzilla, is it an Inno bug? What version of
>> Inno did you use, James? .
> I'm using Inno Script Studio 2.2.2.32 (20151020-065430)
> which invokes Inno Setup Compiler 5.5.9 (u).
>
> [Reset Preferences is the only custom message.]
>
>> See:
>> http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=94863&p=322212 .

Re: Reset Preferences translation in Unicode langages

James Crook
Thanks Gale.
That tells me exactly what I needed to make a fix.

The audacity.iss file needs a 'BOM' to treat utf8 correctly.
I added one using notepad++ and will be checking it in shortly.

--James.

On 2/13/2017 3:48 PM, Gale Andrews wrote:

> I'm using 5.5.9 (u) also. I see the corrupt characters when I open the
> current audacity.iss in that version of Inno.
>
> But if I open my custom audacity.iss used for the nightly builds in Inno,
> I see correct characters. An installer built from that iss file displays
> correct characters.
>
> I think my custom iss file is the one used for 2.1.2 manually updated
> for my two changes on April 13th and 19th 2016.
>
> I don't know if Benjamin's subsequent commit
> https://github.com/audacity/audacity/blob/master/win/audacity.iss
>
> presumably from a Linux machine is somehow related to the problem
> but the characters display correctly online there for that commit.
>

> Gale
>

> On 13 February 2017 at 14:16, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 2/13/2017 1:28 PM, Gale Andrews wrote:
>>> The "Reset Preferences?" translations in win\audacity.iss are not
>>> displayed correctly in the Windows installer if the language requires
>>> Unicode such as Russian or a Chinese language.
>>>
>>> The remainder of the installer does not have any Unicode problems, and
>>> this was not a problem in 2.1.2.
>>>
>>> Before I put this on our Bugzilla, is it an Inno bug? What version of
>>> Inno did you use, James? .
>> I'm using Inno Script Studio 2.2.2.32 (20151020-065430)
>> which invokes Inno Setup Compiler 5.5.9 (u).
>>
>> [Reset Preferences is the only custom message.]
>>
>>> See:
>>> http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=94863&p=322212 .
>>>

>>> Gale

Re: Reset Preferences translation in Unicode langages

James Crook
Fixed in
https://github.com/audacity/audacity/commit/0ceae629648d900dc11967328ad32630f7f3f99f
The BOM is hidden characters at the start of the file, so not visible in
the Github diff.

This will only be relevant to 2.1.3 if we need to do an RC2 for some
other reason.

--James.