Revised Light theme & new Hi Contrast theme

Revised Light theme & new Hi Contrast theme

Peter Sampson-2
Testing on W10 audacity-win-ra868d0c-2.2.0-alpha-10-apr-17

1) Light theme

I'm finding myself loking the bluer buttons.
I Like the light blue Scub Bar
The background in the waveform pane is now darker - and that's fine by me
(Classic is still looking good to me

2) Hi Contrast.

Big problem is the green numbering  over the gree metering - not hicontrast at all.

I was gonna ask why do the buttons hace re-strikes through them - but then I added
a track and realized that red-strike is equivalent to the old graying out.

One thing that is lost in this theme is the horizontal separator between left and right
channels - this maitained in Dark by boxing.  I suspect that the boxing is still there
but is lost by being the same color as the waveform background.

Me ol' mum would have called this theme "lairy" - but she's been dead a long while
now, so her opinion doesn't count ;-))

Re: Revised Light theme & new Hi Contrast theme

Peter Sampson-2
I'm finding the visual cue for button down with Mute and Solo
more that a little undifferentiated - similarly with DArk.

With Light and Classic button-down of Mute/Solo is more obvious.

Re: Revised Light theme & new Hi Contrast theme

Peter Sampson-2
>Me ol' mum would have called this theme "lairy" - but she's been dead a long while
>now, so her opinion doesn't count ;-))

I showed the Hi Contrast theme to mystery shopper Mrs S - she didn't like it.

I told her about what me ol' mum would've thought and her passing - she replied
"She's still with us ..." <sgihing deeply>

She's been long-used to "The Sayings Of Madge" - being half-Irish my mother
had an aphorism for every occasion  - all mostly lodged in my head ...  ;-))

On 4/10/2017 3:11 PM, Peter Sampson wrote:
Testing on W10 audacity-win-ra868d0c-2.2.0-alpha-10-apr-17

1) Light theme

I'm finding myself loking the bluer buttons.
I Like the light blue Scub Bar
The background in the waveform pane is now darker - and that's fine by me
(Classic is still looking good to me

2) Hi Contrast.

Big problem is the green numbering  over the gree metering - not hicontrast
at all.
Agreed.

Please add to
http://hub.audacityteam.org//index.php/25/how-can-hi-contrast-theme-be-improved

As I'd like to have all the comments on that theme in one place rather than spread over lots of emails.

The green text is largely dictated for us by Microsoft's HiContrast Theme.  So simplest option for me is to change the meter bar colours (which are configurable from the theme).  Next simplest is to add a new text colour option for text-over-the-meter.

I was gonna ask why do the buttons hace re-strikes through them - but then
I added
a track and realized that red-strike is equivalent to the old graying out.

One thing that is lost in this theme is the horizontal separator between
left and right
channels - this maitained in Dark by boxing.  I suspect that the boxing is
still there
but is lost by being the same color as the waveform background.
Yes.  Could put it back, but people who need hi contrast still might not see it.

Me ol' mum would have called this theme "lairy" - but she's been dead a
long while
now, so her opinion doesn't count ;-))

Re: Revised Light theme & new Hi Contrast theme

David Bailes-3
[...]

If you're using a High contrast theme, then you can change the colours: settings > ease of access> Hi Contrast. (Different people like different colours.)

David.

[...]

James Crook
On 4/10/2017 5:13 PM, David Bailes wrote:
[...]

Thanks David.

I think there's a strong case for providing an option of a lot of 'colour warping', so we warp our colours to those of the system if the option is enabled.
We can pick up system theme colours from here:

http://docs.wxwidgets.org/trunk/settings_8h.html#a44ad26cbd8d579d1b7eff7015c8bd24b

We can then apply wxSYS_COLOUR_MENUTEXT to the text we current have as green, and warp colours of our buttons to whatever wxSYS_COLOUR_BTNFACE is.

We should do it.  I think it is too much to do for 2.2.0.  There are some tricky decisions to make as to when to warp and when not.  E.g in classic theme we have blue icon for pause.  We do not want to warp the buttons in our classic theme to blue even if the system theme has a blue button face colour.  The current logic I have allows warping of button colours on classic if the colour difference is not too big.

[...]

Audacity-quality mailing [hidden email]

On 10 April 2017 at 17:13, David Bailes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 3:21 PM, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 4/10/2017 3:11 PM, Peter Sampson wrote:
>>
>> Testing on W10 audacity-win-ra868d0c-2.2.0-alpha-10-apr-17
>>
>> 1) Light theme
>>
>> I'm finding myself loking the bluer buttons.
>> I Like the light blue Scub Bar
>> The background in the waveform pane is now darker - and that's fine by me
>> (Classic is still looking good to me
>>
>> 2) Hi Contrast.
>>
>> Big problem is the green numbering  over the gree metering - not
>> hicontrast
>> at all.
>>
>> Agreed.
>>
>> Please add to
>>
>> http://hub.audacityteam.org//index.php/25/how-can-hi-contrast-theme-be-improved
>>
>> As I'd like to have all the comments on that theme in one place rather
>> than spread over lots of emails.
>>
>> The green text is largely dictated for us by Microsoft's HiContrast Theme.
>

> If you're using a High contrast theme, then you can change the colours:
> settings > ease of access> Hi Contrast. (Different people like different
> colours.)

I think that will only apply to elements that already respect High Contrast
like the menus.

Elements that don't respect High Contrast like the track and waveform
and TimeText Controls look like they will have the colours we choose in
the Hi Contrast theme.

Gale

On 10 April 2017 at 17:38, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4/10/2017 5:13 PM, David Bailes wrote:
>
> On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 3:21 PM, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 4/10/2017 3:11 PM, Peter Sampson wrote:
>
> Testing on W10 audacity-win-ra868d0c-2.2.0-alpha-10-apr-17
>
> 1) Light theme
>
> I'm finding myself loking the bluer buttons.
> I Like the light blue Scub Bar
> The background in the waveform pane is now darker - and that's fine by me
> (Classic is still looking good to me
>
> 2) Hi Contrast.
>
> Big problem is the green numbering  over the gree metering - not hicontrast
> at all.
>
> Agreed.
>
> Please add to
> http://hub.audacityteam.org//index.php/25/how-can-hi-
> contrast-theme-be-improved
>
> As I'd like to have all the comments on that theme in one place rather
> than spread over lots of emails.
>
> The green text is largely dictated for us by Microsoft's HiContrast Theme.
>
> If you're using a High contrast theme, then you can change the colours:
> settings > ease of access> Hi Contrast. (Different people like different
> colours.)
>
> David.
>

> Thanks David.
>
> I think there's a strong case for providing an option of a lot of 'colour
> warping', so we warp our colours to those of the system if the option is
> enabled.
> We can pick up system theme colours from here:
>
> http://docs.wxwidgets.org/trunk/settings_8h.html#a44ad26cbd8d579d1b7eff7015c8bd24b
>
> We can then apply wxSYS_COLOUR_MENUTEXT to the text we current have as
> green, and warp colours of our buttons to whatever wxSYS_COLOUR_BTNFACE is.
>
> We should do it.  I think it is too much to do for 2.2.0.  There are some
> tricky decisions to make as to when to warp and when not.  E.g in classic
> theme we have blue icon for pause.  We do not want to warp the buttons in
> our classic theme to blue even if the system theme has a blue button face
> colour.  The current logic I have allows warping of button colours on
> classic if the colour difference is not too big.

I agree we should do it, after 2.2.0, but I'm not sure if it should be allowed
(or would be used much) for themes other than Hi Contrast where the user
has the necessity to be very picky about colours.

But if the work once done lets the full warping happen (with our constraints)
for any theme, why not?

Gale

>   So simplest option for me is to change the meter bar colours (which are
> configurable from the theme).  Next simplest is to add a new text colour
> option for text-over-the-meter.
>

> I was gonna ask why do the buttons hace re-strikes through them - but then
> I added
> a track and realized that red-strike is equivalent to the old graying out.
>
> One thing that is lost in this theme is the horizontal separator between
> left and right
> channels - this maitained in Dark by boxing.  I suspect that the boxing is
> still there
> but is lost by being the same color as the waveform background.
>
> Yes.  Could put it back, but people who need hi contrast still might not
> see it.
>

> Me ol' mum would have called this theme "lairy" - but she's been dead a
> long while
> now, so her opinion doesn't count ;-))
>
> Peter.

Re: Revised Light theme & new Hi Contrast theme

On Sierra in HEAD, Light theme, I see no blue colouring for
Transport, Tools or Edit Toolbars.

Gale