Screen reader focus, and screenshot

Paul Licameli
Of interest to David and James.

Regarding my recent commits
134c1ff47a7276411cfa804a95fd6909ea20145b
c38efc1fcda278bcdac95758d4eb46afe59e5b5d

David, I changed the rectangle drawn around individual tracks by screen readers.  Formerly it did not follow Audacity's own yellow focus rectangle as exactly as it does now.  I have tried it with macOs VoiceOver.  In my opinion it looks better.  But your opinion will rule.  You may wish to adjust the constant dx in TrackPanelAx::GetLocation.

James, I rewrote some things in Screenshot.cpp which you also recently changed.  I intend no visible changes of behavior.  You may wish to review.

Re: Screen reader focus, and screenshot

James Crook
On 6/4/2017 4:39 PM, Paul Licameli wrote:

> Of interest to David and James.
>
> Regarding my recent commits
> 134c1ff47a7276411cfa804a95fd6909ea20145b
> c38efc1fcda278bcdac95758d4eb46afe59e5b5d
>
> David, I changed the rectangle drawn around individual tracks by screen
> readers.  Formerly it did not follow Audacity's own yellow focus rectangle
> as exactly as it does now.  I have tried it with macOs VoiceOver.  In my
> opinion it looks better.  But your opinion will rule.  You may wish to
> adjust the constant dx in TrackPanelAx::GetLocation.
>
> James, I rewrote some things in Screenshot.cpp which you also recently
> changed.  I intend no visible changes of behavior.  You may wish to review.

Thanks.  Have reviewed, and it does not overlap with the changes I have
been making there and all looks fine.
--James.

On Sun, Jun 4, 2017 at 12:06 PM, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 6/4/2017 4:39 PM, Paul Licameli wrote:
Of interest to David and James.

Regarding my recent commits
134c1ff47a7276411cfa804a95fd6909ea20145b
c38efc1fcda278bcdac95758d4eb46afe59e5b5d

David, I changed the rectangle drawn around individual tracks by screen
readers.  Formerly it did not follow Audacity's own yellow focus rectangle
as exactly as it does now.  I have tried it with macOs VoiceOver.  In my
opinion it looks better.  But your opinion will rule.  You may wish to
adjust the constant dx in TrackPanelAx::GetLocation.

James, I rewrote some things in Screenshot.cpp which you also recently
changed.  I intend no visible changes of behavior.  You may wish to review.

Thanks.  Have reviewed, and it does not overlap with the changes I have been making there and all looks fine.
--James.

I raised a fussy question in comments, whether we capture one pixel too much left and right sides each.

Re: Screen reader focus, and screenshot

David Bailes-3
On Sun, Jun 4, 2017 at 4:39 PM, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]> wrote:
Of interest to David and James.

Regarding my recent commits
134c1ff47a7276411cfa804a95fd6909ea20145b
c38efc1fcda278bcdac95758d4eb46afe59e5b5d

David, I changed the rectangle drawn around individual tracks by screen readers.  Formerly it did not follow Audacity's own yellow focus rectangle as exactly as it does now.  I have tried it with macOs VoiceOver.  In my opinion it looks better.  But your opinion will rule.  You may wish to adjust the constant dx in TrackPanelAx::GetLocation.

I've attached a couple of screenshots using narrator on Windows 10. I've also checked with ZoomText, a popular screen magnifier, and the results are similar.
With your changes, the left and top edges are worse, but the right edge is better.
What were the differences like on macOS?
On Windows, it was probably better as it was.

David.

213 focus.png (12K) Download Attachment
220 focus.png (11K) Download Attachment

Re: Screen reader focus, and screenshot

Paul Licameli
4b4bece makes a slight change that should improve these pictures.

It leaves it unchanged on Mac.

Voice Over seems to draw a thinner rectangle, three pixels thick, white around black around white, as around the top track in this picture, which looks good to me.

PRL

Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 3.51.01 PM.png (178K) Download Attachment

On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 8:52 PM, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]> wrote:
4b4bece makes a slight change that should improve these pictures.

thanks, it's now fine.

It leaves it unchanged on Mac.

Voice Over seems to draw a thinner rectangle, three pixels thick, white around black around white, as around the top track in this picture, which looks good to me.

that looks OK as well, though hopefully in the future apple will allow users to change the focus indication to something more prominent,

David.

On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 8:38 AM, David Bailes <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 8:52 PM, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]> wrote:
4b4bece makes a slight change that should improve these pictures.

thanks, it's now fine.

It leaves it unchanged on Mac.

Voice Over seems to draw a thinner rectangle, three pixels thick, white around black around white, as around the top track in this picture, which looks good to me.

that looks OK as well, though hopefully in the future apple will allow users to change the focus indication to something more prominent,

David.

Maybe there is already.  I have not explored all the things in VoiceOver's menus.  I just show you the default.

I just discovered that shfit+control+alt+[ or ] allows you to increase or decrease a magnification applied to the focused item.  That's nice.

Do you have access to a Mac?

On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 5:17 PM, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately, I don't have immediate access to one,

David.