Quantcast

Scrubbing, was Re: Re: Plug-Ins?

xiphmont
For those of you who'd asked 'what is scrubbing?', an excellent free
(as in beer) app that scrubs is 'Baudline', an app for Linux x86.
Despite the non-open code, I count it as a supremely valuable tool if
for no other reason than it's the fastest way to look at spectrograms
Linux has got.

Monty

Re: Scrubbing, was Re: Re: Plug-Ins?

John Haxby
Premiere, although it's a video editor, has a very natural scrub
mechanism: you drag the cursor.   That's all there is to it.   There are
keyboard controls for stepping forward and back through the audio,
though apart from left and right arrow taking you back and forward a
frame at a time I can't remember what they are.

It seems rather than adding a new scrubbing mode, "all" audacity needs
to do is play snatches of sound as you drag the cursor.

jch

Re: Scrubbing, was Re: Re: Plug-Ins?

Rich-2
Betcha anything Audacity can't currently play backward (without a plugin) -
and that the code is non-trivial.

Rich wrote:

>Betcha anything Audacity can't currently play backward (without a plugin) -
>and that the code is non-trivial.

I wondered about that with Premiere.   Premiere has it easy: it just
plays single frames, forwards, it just doesn't play them in order -- at
least that's what I think it does.   If you're scrubbing then Audacity
could do the same: play individual frames (for some defined frame size).

Graham Mitchell
> Betcha anything Audacity can't currently play backward (without a
> plugin) - and that the code is non-trivial.

You're right that Audacity can't currently play backward.  But unless I'm
missing something, the code WOULD be trivial.  Playing audio backward is only
one line of code different than playing forward.  It basically only affects
how you iterate through the samples.

However, playing backward isn't much use, even for scrubbing.  You do it with
tape-based scrubbers because you've got to back up the position somehow, and
doing so with the tape head engaged is simpler than pulling it away and
putting it back on.

With a digital scrubber, though, there's no need to rewind through the
material first, you can just restart at the previous start point.

Audacity's loop-play mode (press SHIFT before clicking play) does this, though
it doesn't allow you to adjust the selection boundaries while playing.

--
Graham Mitchell - computer science teacher, Leander High School