Scrubbing with low project rate

Stevethefiddle
When the project rate is less than 44100, scrub playback is very juddery.
Tested on Ubuntu.

Re: Scrubbing with low project rate

Peter Sampson-2
Not so on w10 audacity-win-rae95bc6-2.2.0-alpha-08-apr-17

Tested with all Audacity available project rates less than 44100
and all gives smooth scrub playback.

Smooth scrub too at 44100 and at greater project rates.

Tested at normal speed and higher and lower scrub speeds.

Is the poor scrub playback possibly related to the poor playback seen on
Linux when Play-at-Speed with the Transciption Toolbar is used?

On 8 April 2017 at 14:51, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not so on w10 audacity-win-rae95bc6-2.2.0-alpha-08-apr-17
>
> Tested with all Audacity available project rates less than 44100
> and all gives smooth scrub playback.
>
> Smooth scrub too at 44100 and at greater project rates.
>
> Tested at normal speed and higher and lower scrub speeds.
>
> Is the poor scrub playback possibly related to the poor playback seen on
> Linux when Play-at-Speed with the Transciption Toolbar is used?

No, but that is an interesting test.

When using PulseAudio, the Project Rate does not adversely affect
scrub playback.

Steve

> Peter.

Re: Scrubbing with low project rate

Peter Sampson-2
Seems to be ok on Mac too with smoth scrubbing.

Tested with a recording at a lower Project Rate - and with a 44,100
after reducing its project rate.

Re: Scrubbing with low project rate

Paul Licameli
I suspect this platform dependency is related to this bit in Scrubbing.h:

#ifdef __WXGTK__

// Unfortunately some things the thread needs to do are not thread safe

#else

#define USE_SCRUB_THREAD

#endif

On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 1:07 PM, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Seems to be ok on Mac too with smoth scrubbing.

Tested with a recording at a lower Project Rate - and with a 44,100
after reducing its project rate.

Re: Scrubbing with low project rate

I tried scrubbing an 8000 Hz track on the slow Linux netbook.
I found it just as smooth as at 44100 Hz, either using pulse or
using the (hw) device directly.

Gale