Shift-click in TCP vs. Shift+ up or down key

Shift-click in TCP vs. Shift+ up or down key

Paul Licameli
Incidental to some TrackPanel simplification, I noticed inconsistency between how shift-click works in the track control panels (which is a more recent addition), and the behavior of shift + up arrow or down arrow.

The last moves the focus and changes the selection.  But can toggle selections off, not only turn them on in a range of tracks.  If you make many tracks and enable circular navigation in Tracks Behavior preferences, and try it, the results are strange.  If you select a discontiguous set of tracks, then use shift+arros, I think the behavior then is strange too.

I think Shift + arrow acts more unexpectedly than the other.

I don't feel strongly enough about it to fix it myself right now.  But does anyone else want to take this up?

It was James that worked most on the shift-click problem in TrackPanel last release.

Re: Shift-click in TCP vs. Shift+ up or down key

James Crook
On 6/11/2017 6:13 PM, Paul Licameli wrote:

> Incidental to some TrackPanel simplification, I noticed inconsistency
> between how shift-click works in the track control panels (which is a more
> recent addition), and the behavior of shift + up arrow or down arrow.
>
> The last moves the focus and changes the selection.  But can toggle
> selections off, not only turn them on in a range of tracks.  If you make
> many tracks and enable circular navigation in Tracks Behavior preferences,
> and try it, the results are strange.  If you select a discontiguous set of
> tracks, then use shift+arros, I think the behavior then is strange too.
>
> I think Shift + arrow acts more unexpectedly than the other.
>
> I don't feel strongly enough about it to fix it myself right now.  But does
> anyone else want to take this up?
>
> It was James that worked most on the shift-click problem in TrackPanel last
> release.
I don't feel strongly about it either.
I didn't actually feel that strongly about the issues I fixed, either.
IIRC correctly I made changes to address a minor bug, and the first few
fixes I came up with were not liked.

I'd say let it go through to 2.2.0.

> PRL

Re: Shift-click in TCP vs. Shift+ up or down key

Robert Hänggi
As David and I noted recently, the shift+Up/Down feature is not
useable for users of screen readers. The outcome is more or less
unpredictable.

Try it with e.g. NVDA and three tracks.
(repeatedly shift-arrowing down from the first track)
What you hear is not what you get.
One problem might be that the focus and selection change are not synchronised.

Ask if you need more details.

Robert

On 11/06/2017, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 6/11/2017 6:13 PM, Paul Licameli wrote:
>> Incidental to some TrackPanel simplification, I noticed inconsistency
>> between how shift-click works in the track control panels (which is a
>> more
>> recent addition), and the behavior of shift + up arrow or down arrow.
>>
>> The last moves the focus and changes the selection.  But can toggle
>> selections off, not only turn them on in a range of tracks.  If you make
>> many tracks and enable circular navigation in Tracks Behavior
>> preferences,
>> and try it, the results are strange.  If you select a discontiguous set
>> of
>> tracks, then use shift+arros, I think the behavior then is strange too.
>>
>> I think Shift + arrow acts more unexpectedly than the other.
>>
>> I don't feel strongly enough about it to fix it myself right now.  But
>> does
>> anyone else want to take this up?
>>
>> It was James that worked most on the shift-click problem in TrackPanel
>> last
>> release.
> I don't feel strongly about it either.
> I didn't actually feel that strongly about the issues I fixed, either.
> IIRC correctly I made changes to address a minor bug, and the first few
> fixes I came up with were not liked.
>
> I'd say let it go through to 2.2.0.
>

>> PRL

Re: Shift-click in TCP vs. Shift+ up or down key

AFAICT the Shift + Up/Down behaviour is the same in 2.1.2 and
long-standing.

Gale

On 12/06/2017, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
> AFAICT the Shift + Up/Down behaviour is the same in 2.1.2 and
> long-standing.

This doesn't make it more useful, does it.
For vi users, those shortcuts could be eliminated from the default keys list.

Robert