Quantcast

Shortcuts in Audacity? Macros?

Freelunch
Hello,

I am currently removing many claps from a live audio recording using Audacity.

I currently select the clap and then use Amplification to reduce by
some number of dB (around -12).

It would be Much faster if I could assign "amplification -4 dB" to a
particular function key.

That way, I'd just need to select and then hit the key a couple of times.

Is that possible?  Any other suggestions that might improve this process?

Thank you!

  FL

Re: Shortcuts in Audacity? Macros?

Freelunch
Okay.. Found it.

Ctrl-R is assigned to "repeat amplify".  This is a huge improvement in
my workflow.

I'd still be interested to know if any macro like facility exists.

Thanks,

  FL

On 6/24/05, Free Lunch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am currently removing many claps from a live audio recording using Audacity.
>
> I currently select the clap and then use Amplification to reduce by
> some number of dB (around -12).
>
> It would be Much faster if I could assign "amplification -4 dB" to a
> particular function key.
>
> That way, I'd just need to select and then hit the key a couple of times.
>
> Is that possible?  Any other suggestions that might improve this process?
>

> Thank you!
>
>   FL

Re: Re: Shortcuts in Audacity? Macros?

xiphmont

On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 11:12:23AM -0400, Free Lunch wrote:
> Okay.. Found it.
>
> Ctrl-R is assigned to "repeat amplify".  This is a huge improvement in
> my workflow.
>
> I'd still be interested to know if any macro like facility exists.

Perhaps this is a case of wrong tool...  if the claps are merely too
loud, why not just compress them out?

Monty

Re: Re: Shortcuts in Audacity? Macros?

Vaughan Johnson
Not macros per se, but key assignments (File menu > Preferences command
 > Keyboard tab) and Nyquist programming (all described in the online
help and website docs). And batch processing in a future version.

-Vaughan

Free Lunch wrote:

>Okay.. Found it.
>
>Ctrl-R is assigned to "repeat amplify".  This is a huge improvement in
>my workflow.
>
>I'd still be interested to know if any macro like facility exists.
>

>Thanks,
>
>  FL
>

>On 6/24/05, Free Lunch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>I am currently removing many claps from a live audio recording using Audacity.
>>
>>I currently select the clap and then use Amplification to reduce by
>>some number of dB (around -12).
>>
>>It would be Much faster if I could assign "amplification -4 dB" to a
>>particular function key.
>>
>>That way, I'd just need to select and then hit the key a couple of times.
>>
>>Is that possible?  Any other suggestions that might improve this process?
>>

>>Thank you!
>>
>>  FL

>from IBM. Find simple to follow Roadmaps, straightforward articles,
>informative Webcasts and more! Get everything you need to get up to
>speed, fast. <a href="http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_idt77&alloc_id492&op=click">http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_idt77&alloc_id492&op=click

Re: Re: Shortcuts in Audacity? Macros?

Phil Nelson-2
Monty wrote:

>On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 11:12:23AM -0400, Free Lunch wrote:
>

>>Okay.. Found it.
>>
>>Ctrl-R is assigned to "repeat amplify".  This is a huge improvement in
>>my workflow.
>>
>>I'd still be interested to know if any macro like facility exists.
>>

>Perhaps this is a case of wrong tool...  if the claps are merely too
>loud, why not just compress them out?

If you are in a hurry, or have a lot of applause,  yes. But I still work
on them individually sometimes. My case is a Pastor wearing a lapel mic.
When he claps, it's way too loud. Usually it's only 5 or 10 claps, which
I select individually and compress. It's the only use I have found for
Audacity's built-in compressor, which I can't get working right  on
anything else and maybe it's not working "right" on this either, but it
does what I want- reduce each clap down a little below the overall
level, so it sounds natural. I think compress works better for this than
amplify. If the levels are normalized, I leave the default -12db, move
both sliders all the way to the left and uncheck the "Apply Gain after
compressing". Hey, I just noticed- shouldn't that be "Apply Gain after
Compressing"? Oh well, I'm not really clear on the rules for
capitalizing titles. Anyway, set the zoom right and after the first
clap, you can click in the scrollbar, select the next one, ^R, and so on...

Anyway, I use the "Simple Compressor (Peak Envelope Tracking)", plugin
199 for (lightly) compressing a whole sermon, but for taking out  a few
claps, I like the result better if I compress them individually.

--
 Phil Nelson

Re: Re: Shortcuts in Audacity? Macros?

Sarah-25
O wow. I didn't relies that compression can be used for a lot of things.
>>On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 11:12:23AM -0400, Free Lunch wrote:
>>
>>>Okay.. Found it.
>>>
>>>Ctrl-R is assigned to "repeat amplify".  This is a huge improvement in
>>>my workflow.
>>>
>>>I'd still be interested to know if any macro like facility exists.
>>>

>>Perhaps this is a case of wrong tool...  if the claps are merely too
>>loud, why not just compress them out?
>>

> If you are in a hurry, or have a lot of applause,  yes. But I still work
> on them individually sometimes. My case is a Pastor wearing a lapel mic.
> When he claps, it's way too loud. Usually it's only 5 or 10 claps, which I
> select individually and compress. It's the only use I have found for
> Audacity's built-in compressor, which I can't get working right  on
> anything else and maybe it's not working "right" on this either, but it
> does what I want- reduce each clap down a little below the overall level,
> so it sounds natural. I think compress works better for this than amplify.
> If the levels are normalized, I leave the default -12db, move both sliders
> all the way to the left and uncheck the "Apply Gain after compressing".
> Hey, I just noticed- shouldn't that be "Apply Gain after Compressing"? Oh
> well, I'm not really clear on the rules for capitalizing titles. Anyway,
> set the zoom right and after the first clap, you can click in the
> scrollbar, select the next one, ^R, and so on...
>
> Anyway, I use the "Simple Compressor (Peak Envelope Tracking)", plugin 199
> for (lightly) compressing a whole sermon, but for taking out  a few claps,
> I like the result better if I compress them individually.
>
> --
> Phil Nelson

Re: Re: Shortcuts in Audacity? Macros?

Freelunch
I will check those out, thank you!

Since I will be recording with Omnis a lot, I could see myself writing
a clap removal plug-in (they tend to be pretty easy to pick out in my
material).

  FL

On 6/25/05, Phil Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Monty wrote:

> >Perhaps this is a case of wrong tool...  if the claps are merely too
> >loud, why not just compress them out?

I have been trying the compressor this morning. I can see where it
would be useful in some cases but I can't seem to get a good result
with these loud claps. I followed Phil's suggestion and also tried
some other settings.  But I am very reluctant to do anything to taint
the source material and I think compression may be too heavy handed
(even if I had a better result).

In my case, the source is fairly quiet jazz and I am sitting in the
audience.  I had a loud clapper right next to me.   In many cases,
when normalized, claps are full range and the music is still less than
.05 or .1 volts.

Unlike Phil's case, most of my problem claps are either extreme right
or left channel and that would allow a plug-in to find them fairly
easily.  Even without the channel specificity, the extreme range
should make these easy to automatically target.

> My case is a Pastor wearing a lapel mic.
> When he claps, it's way too loud. Usually it's only 5 or 10 claps, which
> I select individually and compress.

Seemed like I did thousands on Friday.  Hours and hours.

> Anyway, I use the "Simple Compressor (Peak Envelope Tracking)", plugin
> 199 for (lightly) compressing a whole sermon, but for taking out  a few
> claps, I like the result better if I compress them individually.

I'll have to check that one out.  I don't seem to have it.

Do any of the windows package have a clap quasher?

On Sun, Jun 26, 2005 at 11:02:51AM -0400, Free Lunch wrote:
> On 6/25/05, Phil Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Monty wrote:
>
> > >Perhaps this is a case of wrong tool...  if the claps are merely too
> > >loud, why not just compress them out?
>
> I have been trying the compressor this morning. I can see where it
> would be useful in some cases but I can't seem to get a good result
> with these loud claps.

Audacity's compresseor is rather broken, I'm afraid.  No offense to
Audacity, but you might want to try a working compressor before
deciding it's the wrong tool :-)

> > Anyway, I use the "Simple Compressor (Peak Envelope Tracking)", plugin
> > 199 for (lightly) compressing a whole sermon, but for taking out  a few
> > claps, I like the result better if I compress them individually.
>
> I'll have to check that one out.  I don't seem to have it.

Yes, try out a plugin compressor rather than the Audacity built-in.  I
also have a number of big compander upgrades in the works for Postfish
(been working on them for weeks now).

Monty

Re: Re: Shortcuts in Audacity? Macros?

mathieu-2-3
Hello,

i am also interested in creating my own shorcuts.
for the waveform view for instance. I use a lot the "waveform db" and
would like to create a shortcut to toggle the two views.

Would Nyquist programming allow me to create some shortcuts ?
I was having a look at the help, but it seems to me that it is for
creating "sound manipulation" plugins.

Anyway, I think more functions available to be assigned to shortcuts
would be great (i don't really like using the mouse).

cheers

Mathieu

Vaughan Johnson wrote:

> Not macros per se, but key assignments (File menu > Preferences
> command > Keyboard tab) and Nyquist programming (all described in the
> online help and website docs). And batch processing in a future version.
>
> -Vaughan
>

> Free Lunch wrote:
>
>> Okay.. Found it.
>>
>> Ctrl-R is assigned to "repeat amplify".  This is a huge improvement in
>> my workflow.
>>
>> I'd still be interested to know if any macro like facility exists.
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>>  FL
>>

>> On 6/24/05, Free Lunch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am currently removing many claps from a live audio recording using
>>> Audacity.
>>>
>>> I currently select the clap and then use Amplification to reduce by
>>> some number of dB (around -12).
>>>
>>> It would be Much faster if I could assign "amplification -4 dB" to a
>>> particular function key.
>>>
>>> That way, I'd just need to select and then hit the key a couple of
>>> times.
>>>
>>> Is that possible?  Any other suggestions that might improve this
>>> process?
>>>

>>> Thank you!
>>>
>>>  FL

>> from IBM. Find simple to follow Roadmaps, straightforward articles,
>> informative Webcasts and more! Get everything you need to get up to
>> speed, fast. <a href="http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_idt77&alloc_id492&op=click">http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_idt77&alloc_id492&op=click

Re: Re: Shortcuts in Audacity? Macros?

Vaughan Johnson
Administrator
You're correct that Nyquist wouldn't provide that view-switching, nor is
there a current way to make a shortcut. You might add that to the
Feature Request page
(http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.pl?FeatureRequests).

-Vaughan

Free Lunch wrote:

>On 6/25/05, Phil Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>Monty wrote:
>>

>>>Perhaps this is a case of wrong tool...  if the claps are merely too
>>>loud, why not just compress them out?
>>>

>I have been trying the compressor this morning. I can see where it
>would be useful in some cases but I can't seem to get a good result
>with these loud claps. I followed Phil's suggestion and also tried
>some other settings.  But I am very reluctant to do anything to taint
>the source material and I think compression may be too heavy handed
>(even if I had a better result).

I started using the compressor because the "Amplify" effect seemed too rough
on the waveform. :-)

It took a little practice before I could select in a way that gave good
results. I
had to zoom in pretty far and only select the loud part. Too wide a
selection
(including too much comparatively low volume material) and it didn't work.

For some reason, it seems most picky on the first attempt. After that,
the ^R
repeats seemed to go more easily. Maybe that is my imagination, or maybe
there are some really weird bugs in the compressor effect. :-)

Anyway, I'm not just making this up. I use it pretty much every week. It may
be peculiar, there might be a better way I don't know about, but it does
work.

>In my case, the source is fairly quiet jazz and I am sitting in the
>audience.  I had a loud clapper right next to me.   In many cases,
>when normalized, claps are full range and the music is still less than
>.05 or .1 volts.

I suspect the music is pretty much trashed during these claps anyway,
without
some really impressive advances in deconvolution technology. So, you just
want to reduce the claps without the result sounding too strange. Probably
someone out there has automated the process, but maybe not in a way that
does a better job than a careful hand edit.

>Unlike Phil's case, most of my problem claps are either extreme right
>or left channel and that would allow a plug-in to find them fairly
>easily.  Even without the channel specificity, the extreme range
>should make these easy to automatically target.

OK, how about this: Take a copy of the opposite channel, just the
duration of
the clap, add an "artificial stereo" phase shift (maybe you can match it
by eye?)
and paste it over the clap? Actually in Audacity, maybe you have to make new
tracks and mix them in, to avoid phase-shifting the rest of the track
inadvertently
(at least that's how I do it).

>>My case is a Pastor wearing a lapel mic.
>>When he claps, it's way too loud. Usually it's only 5 or 10 claps, which
>>I select individually and compress.
>>

>Seemed like I did thousands on Friday.  Hours and hours.

Congratulations on your determination. I would have given up before I
got to the first
hundred.

>>Anyway, I use the "Simple Compressor (Peak Envelope Tracking)", plugin
>>199 for (lightly) compressing a whole sermon, but for taking out  a few
>>claps, I like the result better if I compress them individually.
>>

>I'll have to check that one out.  I don't seem to have it.
>
>Do any of the windows package have a clap quasher?

It's on my Linux system. Installed by default. I forgot the name of the
(not VST) plugin
collection. Anyway, I remember VST plugins, many of them free, for Windows.
Probably you can Google up a compressor that works.

Did you try a pop filter? Maybe that will do something useful. I Googled
this:

http://www.goldwave.com/release.php

I have never used the program, but it looks like you can get a free trial.

I have used http://gwc.sourceforge.net/ on my Linux system, but I
haven't tried the pop
filter on clapping.

--
Phil Nelson

Re: Re: Shortcuts in Audacity? Macros?

xiphmont

> I started using the compressor because the "Amplify" effect seemed too rough
> on the waveform. :-)

Yes, it will introduce a stairstep discontinuity.

> It took a little practice before I could select in a way that gave good
> results. I
> had to zoom in pretty far and only select the loud part. Too wide a
> selection
> (including too much comparatively low volume material) and it didn't work.
>
> For some reason, it seems most picky on the first attempt. After that,
> the ^R
> repeats seemed to go more easily. Maybe that is my imagination, or maybe
> there are some really weird bugs in the compressor effect. :-)

There are in the built-in compressor.  Also, compressors without
lookahead require a little time to react to sudden change; if this is
a strictly causal compressor, you'll need to turn the attack time down
as low as it can realistically go, preferrably a millisecond or less.

> Anyway, I'm not just making this up. I use it pretty much every week. It may
> be peculiar, there might be a better way I don't know about, but it does
> work.

Oh, never said you were making it up.  I know exactly what you mean
about personal wireless microphones and clapping.  I regularly tell
choreographers that the singing dancers do *not* get to clap, no
matter how cool they think it will look.

> I suspect the music is pretty much trashed during these claps anyway,
> without
> some really impressive advances in deconvolution technology.

Deconvolution can't solve this by any measure of the art today :-) You
*might* have a shot editing out a chunk and reconstructing across it,
but if it's more than a few hundred samples, this will have poor
results.

> So, you just
> want to reduce the claps without the result sounding too strange. Probably
> someone out there has automated the process, but maybe not in a way that
> does a better job than a careful hand edit.

The only guarantee is that you can make it not hurt anyone's ears.

> >>Anyway, I use the "Simple Compressor (Peak Envelope Tracking)", plugin
> >>199 for (lightly) compressing a whole sermon, but for taking out  a few
> >>claps, I like the result better if I compress them individually.
> >>

> >I'll have to check that one out.  I don't seem to have it.
> >
> >Do any of the windows package have a clap quasher?
> >

> It's on my Linux system. Installed by default. I forgot the name of the
> (not VST) plugin
> collection. Anyway, I remember VST plugins, many of them free, for Windows.
> Probably you can Google up a compressor that works.
>
> Did you try a pop filter? Maybe that will do something useful. I Googled
> this:
>
> http://www.goldwave.com/release.php
>
> I have never used the program, but it looks like you can get a free trial.
>
> I have used http://gwc.sourceforge.net/ on my Linux system, but I
> haven't tried the pop
> filter on clapping.

The postfish single-band compressor in peak mode with lookahead at
100%, attack at ~1ms, decay at ~20ms and ratio at 10:1 will handle
your clapping pastor effortlessly... but it's Linux only.

(I'm working on libpostfish as much as time allows!)

Monty

Re: Re: Shortcuts in Audacity? Macros?

Daniil Kolpakov-2
В сообщении от Sunday 26 June 2005 21:38 Monty написал(a):
> I also have a number of big compander upgrades in the works for Postfish
> (been working on them for weeks now).

Cool!

Do you have a web log or something about the Postfish improvements you make,
or is it better to read the SVN log? (Just finally upgraded my Mandrake box
to the latest cooker, and installed subversion client; checked out postfish
with svn (now wget as before) for the first time, now compiling it with GCC4,
he-he ;))

--
/dev/brains: permission denied