Shorter status messages, without modifier keys? Longer, with scroll actions?

Shorter status messages, without modifier keys? Longer, with scroll actions?

Paul Licameli
Generate some sound; select a part of it; move the mouse out of the selection.

Press and release the Shift key.  The cursor changes, and the status bar message changes.

"Click and drag to select audio" changes to
"Click and drag to move right selection boundary" (or left)

Note that the first message never hints at use of the modifier key.  Rather, it seems, we expect the user to try modifier keys and discover the alternative.

Should other status bar messages be likewise?  The vertical rulers of Note and Wave tracks, for one.

"Click to vertically zoom in.  Shift-Click to zoom out.  Drag to specify a zoom region."

Instead, two messages.
"Click to vertically zoom in.  Drag to specify a zoom region."
"Click to zoom out.  Drag to specify a zoom region."

[Assuming that the current behavior is correct:  drag to zoom in works with or without Shift.  But maybe that is questionable for Shift, and maybe the word "vertically" is unnecessary.  So it might instead be more simply:

"Click to zoom in.  Drag to specify a zoom region."
"Click to zoom out."]

On the other hand, we don't mention what scroll wheel does in these messages.  We might add that, and vary that as appropriate for modifier key combinations.

Thus:
"Click to zoom in.  Drag to specify a zoom region."
"Click to zoom out.  Scroll to move vertically."
And for Ctrl down:
"Scroll to zoom in or out."
And for Shift + Ctrl down in Wavefor dB view:
"Scroll to change limits of dB scale."

This might not exhaust the cases that need rewriting.