Show-Stopper Silver-Lining

James Crook

It turned out that RC1 (Release candidate 1) had a show stopper bug and we could not release it.  The bug is easy to fix, so will do an RC2 soon.

There's a saying "Every cloud has a silver lining"

In doing RC2, these updates to translations which arrived after the deadline will now also make it into 2.1.3.

Greek - Dimitris Spingos
Polish - Michał Trzebiatowski
Slovenian - Martin Srebotnjak
Ukranian - Yuri Chornoivan
Brazilian Portuguese - Lucas Teixeira
French - Intv0id (missing strings)

Also an important bug that garbled unicode strings about preferences-reset in the installer has been fixed, which is important for first impressions.

Martin Srebotnjak kindly made me aware of some untranslatable strings, and we aim to address these in 2.1.4

- "Settings > Quality > Default Sample Format" dropbox: all three options, "16-bit", "24-bit" and "32-bit float", are not localizable
- *both* "Settings > Quality > Sample Rate Converter" dropboxes on this pane: options from "Low Quality (Fastest)" to "Best Quality (Slowest)" are not localizable

--James
(RM for 2.1.3)

Re: Show-Stopper Silver-Lining

Should "16-bit", "24-bit" and "32-bit float" be localizable? I think there
may be a reason we decided not to localize because of the specific
meaning being untranslatable, certainly "bit".

If we make those strings translatable I think an i18n note should remark
about using best practice for your language rather than blindly translating.

Gale

On 2/19/2017 11:54 PM, Gale Andrews wrote:
> Should "16-bit", "24-bit" and "32-bit float" be localizable? I think there
> may be a reason we decided not to localize because of the specific
> meaning being untranslatable, certainly "bit".
>
> If we make those strings translatable I think an i18n note should remark
> about using best practice for your language rather than blindly translating.

I think localizable, with an i18n note.
//i18n-hint: It is OK to not translate '16-bit', '24-bit' and '32-bit
float'.

ALL translators are aware that many technical terms are best not
translated.  That note will mean that any translators who are in doubt
will leave those unchanged.

+1 to adding an i18n note, and thanks for suggesting it Gale.