SlashOS

Stevethefiddle
In the manual and other places we have a mixture of:
Mac OS X / OS X / macOS

The current Mac operating system is macOS, but we also support OS X.

1) Am I correct in thinking that Mac OS X is no longer supported by Audacity?

2) What terminology are we using in relation to Audacity 2.2.0:
a) OS X / macOS
b) OS X and macOS
c) macOS
d) something else.

I assume that we agree that current references to "OS X" and "Mac OS
X" in the manual and other official sources need to be updated.
(for example: http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Installing_and_updating_Audacity_on_Mac_OS_X)

Re: SlashOS

Peter Sampson-2
my understanding (and I am not a Macolyte) is that macOS refers to Sierra
and OS X refers to earlier Mac operating systems (which, I believe, we still support).
See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS

I did discuss this with Gale a while back and we decided to keep the both for now in
the documentation.

Similarly I discussed it with Alan Hunt one of the senior Wikipedia editors who mentors
our Audacity page on Wikipedia - and there too we decided on joint mac OS/OS X
See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audacity_(audio_editor)

I'm neutral on this (but feel I'm having my strings pulled by Apple's marketing/branding
folk).

Peter.

On 21 July 2017 at 10:33, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> my understanding (and I am not a Macolyte) is that macOS refers to Sierra
> and OS X refers to earlier Mac operating systems (which, I believe, we still
> support).
> See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS
>
> I did discuss this with Gale a while back and we decided to keep the both
> for now in
> the documentation.
>
> Similarly I discussed it with Alan Hunt one of the senior Wikipedia editors
> who mentors
> our Audacity page on Wikipedia - and there too we decided on joint mac OS/OS

I presume that you mean "macOS" as one word.

So are we agreed on:
"macOS/ OS X"
for this release?

Steve