Som suggestions to improving the Audacity manual wiki website

Som suggestions to improving the Audacity manual wiki website

scootergrisen
I go to the Help > Manual, in Audacity to test it a bit.

I think the manual could be made a little better to attract translators.

I don't think its clear enough that the manual is actually translated to
other languages. It seems the downloaded manual does not contain info
about other languages so how would the user know it have been translated?

If the downloaded manual on purpose only contain english that perhaps
there should be some text and links telling the user that the online
manual is translated to some languages and that the user can visit the
online manual to see more.

Can we use the language list to the left in a menu like Wikipedia does?
Like in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audacity is says:
Languages

     日本語
     Русский
     Suomi

Also would be nice to search the whole website for broken links.

This works:
http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Help:Translating
This does not:
http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/Help:Translating

Also i'm guessing strings like:
     Page Discussion View source History
is already translated in wikimedia or whatever its called.

If i visit https://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forside i see:
     Forside Diskussion Læs Vis kilden Se historik

Maybe the system needs to be updated or whatever. I don't know but it
would be nice if people translated the wiki pages and that the content
around the pages was also in the same language.

Re: Som suggestions to improving the Audacity manual wiki website

On 30 November 2016 at 01:34, scootergrisen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I go to the Help > Manual, in Audacity to test it a bit.
>
> I think the manual could be made a little better to attract translators.

Thanks for the input.

We have an "advert" for translators at the top of  the alpha Manual:
http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Main_Page

and mention that we are seeking translators for the Manual on
http://www.audacityteam.org/community/translators/

and other pages.  We get very few translators as a result who are
willing or able to make a commitment to the work over a long period.

We have toyed with the idea of offering smaller chunks of the
Manual for translation, but chunks are hard to make self-contained
without the documentation writers rewriting them specially for the
purpose.

James's "Tour Guide" is a possible candidate for translation:
http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Audacity_Tour_Guide .

> I don't think its clear enough that the manual is actually translated to
> other languages. It seems the downloaded manual does not contain info
> about other languages so how would the user know it have been translated?

The dowloaded English Manual is not translated.

> If the downloaded manual on purpose only contain english that perhaps
> there should be some text and links telling the user that the online
> manual is translated to some languages and that the user can visit the
> online manual to see more.

Yes, but there is no language that is fully translated online.

> Can we use the language list to the left in a menu like Wikipedia does?
> Like in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audacity is says:
> Languages
>
>      日本語
>      Русский
>      Suomi

Not without installing and thoroughly testing translation extensions (we do
have an outdated testbed installation). Are you (scootergrisen) perhaps
interested in testing translation infrastructure on the Manual and working
 on translations of it?

I am in generally in favour but James I think feels it would not produce any
more translation effort in the Manual.

> Also would be nice to search the whole website for broken links.

Peter Sampson does that check for alphamanual.audacityteam.org ,
which content is reused at release time for manual.audacityteam.org .

> This works:
> http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Help:Translating
> This does not:
> http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/Help:Translating

Links to manual.audacityteam.org in the syntax for
alphanual.audacityteam.org (upper case, spaces, no page
extension) won't work because right now we are serving "flat" HTML
pages from manual.audacityteam.org, not Wiki pages.

These pages can't be redirected "as is" because it would send the user
to the wrong (alpha) Manual. I agree we could provide something more
useful for a 404 page than what happens now.

Gale

> Also i'm guessing strings like:
>      Page Discussion View source History
> is already translated in wikimedia or whatever its called.
>
> If i visit https://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forside i see:
>      Forside Diskussion Læs Vis kilden Se historik
>
> Maybe the system needs to be updated or whatever. I don't know but it
> would be nice if people translated the wiki pages and that the content
> around the pages was also in the same language.

Re: Som suggestions to improving the Audacity manual wiki website

scootergrisen
>> Can we use the language list to the left in a menu like Wikipedia does?
>> Like in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audacity is says:
>> Languages
>>
>>      日本語
>>      Русский
>>      Suomi
>
> Not without installing and thoroughly testing translation extensions (we do
> have an outdated testbed installation). Are you (scootergrisen) perhaps
> interested in testing translation infrastructure on the Manual and working
>  on translations of it?
>
> I am in generally in favour but James I think feels it would not produce any
> more translation effort in the Manual.

I don't know what would be best i havent even used the manual.
I have helped translate Audacity and now that it is ok/good translated i
start to look if i would like to start translate anything else that is
Audacity.

Because i dont use the manual maybe im not the right person to test
infrastructure. But i like to look for things that can be improved/more
translated. Like for example the Windows installer that some software
allow to translate and some does not.

I think if you update the wikimedia or whatever it is that says "Page
Discussion view source history Log in" on top og each page and so on
that it might be more attractive for people to translate the content to
theyr language.

If i translate everything that is possible to translate it would be a
mixture of english and my language still because the text around the
page will still be in english.

I can't even remember is the Windows installer is translateable i will
test it to see.

Re: Som suggestions to improving the Audacity manual wiki website

Translations for the Windows installer of Audacity can be submitter direct
to Inno:
http://www.jrsoftware.org/files/istrans/send.php .

Gale

Den 30-11-2016 kl. 14:20 skrev Gale Andrews:
> Translations for the Windows installer of Audacity can be submitter direct
> to Inno:
> http://www.jrsoftware.org/files/istrans/send.php .
>

> Gale

Are there no aditional Audacity specific text that need to be translated?

On 30 November 2016 at 13:30, scootergrisen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Den 30-11-2016 kl. 14:20 skrev Gale Andrews:
>> Translations for the Windows installer of Audacity can be submitter direct
>> to Inno:
>> http://www.jrsoftware.org/files/istrans/send.php .
>>

>> Gale
>
> Are there no aditional Audacity specific text that need to be translated?

AFAIK, there are just the custom messages for "Reset Preferences" at the
bottom of the win\audacity.iss  installer file. That message is already
translated.to Danish.