Quantcast

Spanish translations of technical audio terms

Spanish translations of technical audio terms

Hi

It's been pointed out that in the Spanish Manual we translate
"Dither" as "Zumbido". But we translate Dither as "Fusión" in the
software.

You can see "Dither" in the Quality Preferences. Here is our Wiki
page about it:
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Dither .

There are a couple of problems with "Zumbido" in the Manual.

1) To avoid confusion we should use the same word in the Manual
translation that we do in the software translation.

This means regularly cross-checking with the latest "Nightly Builds":
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Nightly_Builds

(or compiling the latest Audacity development code).

Are there other places in the Spanish Manual where we use different
words to that in the software?

2) Federico Miyara has suggested on -devel that "Zumbido" is not
a good translation - it means "a tonal noise such as that of a bee
or of a poorly-filtered power source, more like a hum". He says
 "Fusión" doesn't explain what dither is either.

So on this specific, what is the best thing to do?

* Leave "Dither" untranslated and rely on the description
   in the Manual?  Not all users will search online or find the
   Manual.

* Translate it as a short descriptive phrase? I thought of
   "soft corrective noise". Is that useful to translate, or not?

* Translate it as a short descriptive phrase with "(Dither)"
   untranslated to right of the translated phrase?

I think the third of those options is best, if Dither can be
usefully translated to someone who does not know what
it means.

Are there any other audio terms that are problematic to
translate to Spanish, and what should we do about those?
What about other languages? Should there be a Wiki page
to draw up a list of words that are problematic?

When we have a list, would it help to add more i18n comments
to the source code suggesting what translators should do for
specific terms? Or is better to have those suggestions on Wiki?

Thanks all, especially to Richard for the long hours working on
the Manual.