Start / End / Centre / Length

Stevethefiddle
I'm purposefully not following the thread about this feature on devel
so that I can try to view it more as user than a developer and give
some hopefully useful feedback.

My initial reaction was: Where's the "Length" gone!

Then I found the "Options".

OK, so that looks useful, but what the heck does "driven" mean?

Poking around and experimenting a bit (which many user's won't do -
they will just be confused)....

So "driven" is a kind of "auto" setting. When a box is marked as
"driven" it is updated automatically when I set one of the other
boxes. I'd not have guessed from the name, though having worked out
what it's doing, I can see that it's being "driven" by the other
settings. I think "auto" would have given me a better clue.

Now if I click on the word "driven", the next box on the right becomes
"driven" instead. I wasn't expecting that, but OK, I see how I can use
that. I'm guess there's a way to change the "driven" item from the
keyboard, but no idea how...

Oh, OK, it changes itself if I type into that box, but how do I know
which will be the new "driven"? Seems a bit of a lottery unless I
explicitly set it with the mouse.

I'll pass on the 4 box option - more complicated than I'll ever need.

Audio Position - OK I can type into it, but no idea why, Doesn't seem
to do anything. Is it broken?

No, please don't tell  me how it works or I'll not be able to give
unbiased feedback.

Re: Start / End / Centre / Length

James Crook
The prototype you looked at (which attempted to show more than two
fields at a time) has been roundly rejected.  Current head has an update
that never shows 'driven' and that only ever shows two fields at a time.

See if you can figure it out :-)

--James.

On 5/24/2017 6:25 PM, Steve the Fiddle wrote:

> I'm purposefully not following the thread about this feature on devel
> so that I can try to view it more as user than a developer and give
> some hopefully useful feedback.
>
> My initial reaction was: Where's the "Length" gone!
>
> Then I found the "Options".
>
> OK, so that looks useful, but what the heck does "driven" mean?
>
> Poking around and experimenting a bit (which many user's won't do -
> they will just be confused)....
>
> So "driven" is a kind of "auto" setting. When a box is marked as
> "driven" it is updated automatically when I set one of the other
> boxes. I'd not have guessed from the name, though having worked out
> what it's doing, I can see that it's being "driven" by the other
> settings. I think "auto" would have given me a better clue.
>
> Now if I click on the word "driven", the next box on the right becomes
> "driven" instead. I wasn't expecting that, but OK, I see how I can use
> that. I'm guess there's a way to change the "driven" item from the
> keyboard, but no idea how...
>
> Oh, OK, it changes itself if I type into that box, but how do I know
> which will be the new "driven"? Seems a bit of a lottery unless I
> explicitly set it with the mouse.
>
> I'll pass on the 4 box option - more complicated than I'll ever need.
>
> Audio Position - OK I can type into it, but no idea why, Doesn't seem
> to do anything. Is it broken?
>
> No, please don't tell  me how it works or I'll not be able to give
> unbiased feedback.

Re: Start / End / Centre / Length

Peter Sampson-2
Testing on W10 on the latest iteration of this audacity-win-ra09fcee-2.2.0-alpha-29-may-17

This is much better now that we have the dropdown menu for the selecton type restored,
thanks for that.

But I really think we need to tidy up the labelling.

a) can we please have the labellin left-justified above each of the two variable data boxes
(as we had before)

b) Can we have the fuller "Selection Start" as we had before.
And similarly for all the options - ther is no other visual cue in that "Selection toolbar"
to indicate that it is about "selection"

c) I find the two chevrons "<" and ">" totally meaningless   :-//

But apart from these labelling issues I think the iteration we have
arrived at now is fine.

Cheers,
Peter.