Quantcast

Stereo Mix

Linda Olin
I am unable (and needing it badly, ASAP) to use stereo mix.  PLEASE HELP ME!

760-534-3204

I have downloaded every possible version, so I am assuming it is a setting in my computer.  What should i do?

Thank you,
Linda Olin

Re: Stereo Mix

audacity-help mailing list

    | From Linda Olin
    | Fri, 16 Feb 2007 13:42:29 -0800
    | Subject: [Audacity-help] Stereo Mix
    | I am unable (and needing it badly, ASAP) to use stereo mix.
    | I have downloaded every possible version, so I am assuming it is a setting
    | in my computer.

Do you mean there is no "stereo mix" option listed in the Mixer Toolbar
dropdown selector
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/onlinehelp-1.2/toolbar_mixer.htm

or that the selector is greyed out?

The recording source options displayed in Audacity's dropdown relate to the
sound device you have selected as the recording device in Audacity on the
Audio I/O tab of Preferences. The drivers of that selected device (not Audacity)
then determine what recording source options are displayed in the dropdown.
Note that if you are on OS X, Apple computers do not normally have a
software option for recording sound playing on the computer, and we instead
recommend using a program like Audio Hijack
http://www.rogueamoeba.com/audiohijack/

which will make a recording to an AIFF file.

Otherwise, go first of all to the Audio I/O tab of Preferences and explicitly
select your inbuilt sound or soundcard as the recording device. Don't select
Microsoft SoundMapper if you are on Windows.

If that did not help, then the sound device may simply lack an inbuilt "stereo
mix" or similar option, or it may be running with outdated generic drivers that do
not offer this option, or are not automatically making it available. This is a
common problem on Windows, so assuming now you are on that operating
system, you can try the following:

Click Start > (Settings) > Control Panel > Sounds, Speech and Audio Devices >
Sounds and Audio Devices (or click on the speaker icon in System Tray). Click on
Volume under the Sound Recording panel, click Options > Properties, select the
sound device in the Mixer Device panel and ensure all the boxes in the window
below are checked and click OK. If the input source you want is listed in that
window it should now appear in the Recording Volume Control, and in Audacity's
input selector.  In other words you should try selecting your recording source in
the Windows Volume Control if doing so in the Audacity dropdown selector is not
successful.

Note that if an option to record the computer output is available, it may not be
called "Stereo Mix", it could also be called any of these, or something else:

* What U Hear
* Loopback
* Sum
* Wave out

If you still do not get a "Stereo Mix" or similar option even in the Windows
Recording Volume Control, and cannot get one in any dedicated Control Panel
that the sound device itself has, you should try updating the sound device
drivers to the latest ones for your computer model from the manufacturer of the
sound device or motherboard. Do not use Microsoft drivers as they are only low
quality generic drivers. To update your soundcard drivers: Start > (Settings) >
Control Panel > System, and click the "Device Manager" button on the Device
Manager panel. Expand "Sound, Video and Game Controllers" by clicking on the
+ sign, right-click on the sound device and click "update driver". If you cannot
get an appropriate non-Microsoft driver, seek a driver from the manufacturer's
website.

If your sound device really has no way of routing the output to the input internally
(after a driver update), you can also try running a cable from the line-out (green)
port on the back of the computer to the line-in (blue), and choose the line-in
source in Audacity's dropdown selector. This will mean you cannot hear what you
are recording, but you can buy a single stereo to double stereo adaptor that will
give you a jack to plug the speakers into whilst feeding in the line input. As
another alternative you can buy an external USB soundcard that will give you
a "stereo mix" type option.

Gale Andrews

Outbound message virus free.
Tested on: 2/16/2007 11:54:02 PM

Re: Stereo Mix

Linda Olin
I am using a laptop.  I only have microphone and cd audio in the drop down.
Why is this?  I am using audacity to create wav files.  My associates have
the same versions, but are able to do the mix.  Please help me.  Is there a
phone number i can contact you at?

thank you
linda
760-534-3204
> [...]
> get an appropriate non-Microsoft driver, seek a driver from the
> manufacturer's
> website.
>
> If your sound device really has no way of routing the output to the input
> internally
> (after a driver update), you can also try running a cable from the
> line-out (green)
> port on the back of the computer to the line-in (blue), and choose the
> line-in
> source in Audacity's dropdown selector. This will mean you cannot hear
> what you
> are recording, but you can buy a single stereo to double stereo adaptor
> that will
> give you a jack to plug the speakers into whilst feeding in the line
> input. As
> another alternative you can buy an external USB soundcard that will give

Re: Stereo Mix

audacity-help mailing list

    | From Linda Olin
    | Tue, 20 Feb 2007 16:40:19 -0800
    | Subject: [Audacity-help] Stereo Mix
    | I am using a laptop.
    |  I only have microphone and cd audio in the drop down.

So then I would guess you are on Windows.

    | Why is this?

The reason remains the same as I wrote in my last email, namely

" The recording source options displayed in Audacity's dropdown relate to
   the sound device you have selected as the recording device in Audacity on
   the Audio I/O tab of Preferences. The drivers of that selected device (not
   Audacity) then determine what recording source options are displayed in the
   dropdown"

In other words the current drivers of the sound device in your computer either
aren't revealing the "stereo mix" option to the system, or aren't letting you select
the "stereo mix" option in Audacity as they should, or simply do not have such
an option.

    | My associates have the same versions, but are able to do the mix.
    | Please help me.

We gave you a complete and thorough response in our last email. I have
pasted it in again below for your convenience. In other words you have to go
into the Windows Control Panel as per those instructions, and see if you can
reveal a stereo mix option and/or select it there (if you can, you should then be
able to record in Audacity). If that does not help, you use Device Manager
as instructed to update the sound drivers (which are the cause of the problem),
and if you cannot get updated drivers you go to the website of the device
or motherboard manufacturer to get updated drivers for your particular computer
model.

Meantime if you have a line-in, and can reveal a line-in option by the above
procedure, you can as stated record what the computer is playing by running a
cable from line-out to line-in on the back of the computer. If updated drivers still
don't give you a stereo mix option, then you have to accept that as a deficiency
of the sound device that came with the laptop, and buy a USB soundcard that will
give you a stereo mix option.

Gale Andrews

INSTRUCTIONS

Tested on: 2/21/2007 7:39:14 AM