Quantcast

Stereo/Mono . who's confused

Robert Poland
I typically record books in mono.

I notice that when I export to an MP3 I have a Channel Mode choice of Stereo or Joint Stereo. What if I want MONO?

Robert Poland
iMac, Late 2013, 14,2
  3.2 GHz Intel Core I5, 27”
  16 GB Ram, 1TB Fusion HD
  OS X 10.12.2 (Sierra)
Audacity 2.1.2
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Stereo/Mono . who's confused

Stevethefiddle
Hi Robert,

If the Audacity project is mono (all tracks are centre panned mono
tracks), then an exported MP3 will be mono. (The same is true for all
other export formats). The "Stereo / Joint" option makes no difference
if the Audacity project is mono. If the Audacity project is  stereo,
then the "Joint" option usually gives more efficient encoding
(slightly better quality:size ratio).

In the next version of Audacity (2.1.3) there will be an additional
"Channel mode" option for MP3 export that allows you to force the
exported file to mono - that is, you will be able to specify mono MP3
export whether the Audacity project is mono or stereo.

Steve