Quantcast

Stereo Recording

Steve Bowers
I hope someone can help me. When I try to record a stereo album, it is only recording one side of it. I have checked all the settings and everything appears to be correct. Obviously it works great with a mono album, but for stereo it will not work. I am not sure what the issue is. I am using a Sony PS-LX300USB turntable connected to my desktop. Any help would be appreciated.

Steve Bowers

--
Nothing is impossible. Just not easy.

*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Stereo Recording

Bob Cavanaugh

One of two things is wrong. Either you have Audacity set to record in mono which can be changed in preferences devices, or your turntable’s output is mono only.

Re: Stereo Recording

Steve Bowers
Bob,

  I checked Audacity and it is set for stereo. My turntable, when I connect it, it downloaded a driver for USB Audio Codec. I have tried removing it and reinstalling it, but it still does not work. Not sure what my next course of action would be.

Steve Bowers

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 2:59 PM, Bob cavanaugh <[hidden email]> wrote:

One of two things is wrong. Either you have Audacity set to record in mono which can be changed in preferences devices, or your turntable’s output is mono only.

Re: Stereo Recording

Also if one side is recorded in both channels and you are on Windows,
make sure Windows Default Format is set to stereo:
http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/faq_recording_how_to_s.html#rinstereo

Gale

On 1 December 2016 at 19:37, Steve Bowers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I hope someone can help me. When I try to record a stereo album, it is only
> recording one side of it. I have checked all the settings and everything
> appears to be correct. Obviously it works great with a mono album, but for
> stereo it will not work. I am not sure what the issue is. I am using a Sony
> PS-LX300USB turntable connected to my desktop. Any help would be
> appreciated.
>
> Steve Bowers

*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Stereo Recording

Steve Bowers
I checked all the settings and everything looks normal. It was working before, about a month ago, which was the last time I had recorded an album.

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 3:34 PM, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
Also if one side is recorded in both channels and you are on Windows,
make sure Windows Default Format is set to stereo:
http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/faq_recording_how_to_s.html#rinstereo

Gale

On 1 December 2016 at 19:37, Steve Bowers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I hope someone can help me. When I try to record a stereo album, it is only
> recording one side of it. I have checked all the settings and everything
> appears to be correct. Obviously it works great with a mono album, but for
> stereo it will not work. I am not sure what the issue is. I am using a Sony
> PS-LX300USB turntable connected to my desktop. Any help would be
> appreciated.
>
> Steve Bowers

*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Nothing is impossible. Just not easy.

*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Stereo Recording

Lin Sprague
On 12/1/2016 4:54 PM, Steve Bowers wrote:

> I checked all the settings and everything looks normal. It was working
> before, about a month ago, which was the last time I had recorded an album.

Can I assume you've rebooted the computer? I've had odd, explainable
audio symptoms that have magically sorted themselves out with a reboot.

*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Stereo Recording

Billy Geiger-4
You can always buy a new turntable.... 😀

[hidden email]

        Billy Geiger
        Winder, GA.
      (40 miles east
         of Atlanta)

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 4:14 PM, Steve Bowers <[hidden email]> wrote:
Bob,

  I checked Audacity and it is set for stereo. My turntable, when I connect it, it downloaded a driver for USB Audio Codec. I have tried removing it and reinstalling it, but it still does not work. Not sure what my next course of action would be.

Steve Bowers

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 2:59 PM, Bob cavanaugh <[hidden email]> wrote:

One of two things is wrong. Either you have Audacity set to record in mono which can be changed in preferences devices, or your turntable’s output is mono only.

Re: Stereo Recording

Steve Bowers

Yup. Rebooted several times. Really at a loss for this one.

On Dec 1, 2016 4:09 PM, "Lin Sprague" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 12/1/2016 4:54 PM, Steve Bowers wrote:

> I checked all the settings and everything looks normal. It was working
> before, about a month ago, which was the last time I had recorded an album.

Can I assume you've rebooted the computer? I've had odd, explainable
audio symptoms that have magically sorted themselves out with a reboot.

*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Stereo Recording

stan-7
On Thu, 1 Dec 2016 16:48:26 -0600
Steve Bowers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yup. Rebooted several times. Really at a loss for this one.

I don't run windows, so I can't give detailed help.  But can you try
recording some other way.   Do you have a microphone?  Can you try
recording in stereo to audacity from the microphone to see if audacity
will record stereo then?  Or capture some sound off the web into
audacity using a monitor.  Is it stereo?

Are you using a stereo cable to connect the turntable to the computer?
If you play the sound through the computer instead of record it, is it
stereo?  You'll have to choose something that has really obvious stereo
separation in order to check.

If it formerly recorded stereo using the same hardware, and the same
version of audacity, then the issue is almost certainly a configuration
issue.  Are there any other changes you've made in your system since
the last time you recorded an album?

*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Stereo Recording

Allistair Bywater
Hi Steve,

It could be that one of the wires to the pick-up cartridge has become detached or broken or the contact is not good - pulling them off the cartridge carefully a little way gently and pushing them back in may restore the missing side.

If the USB cable to the deck connects with phono/RCA connectors, try swapping L and R around and see if the dead side  moves over. If it does, the problem may be be in the the record deck. (Any chance of trying it out on an analogue system via local hi-fi shop?)

Also, some record deck tone arms have detachable head-shells; there are contacts there that may need cleaning or tightening. Or just removing and replacing might do the trick.

Good luck!

Allistair

On 01/12/2016 22:48, Steve Bowers wrote:

Yup. Rebooted several times. Really at a loss for this one.

On Dec 1, 2016 4:09 PM, "Lin Sprague" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 12/1/2016 4:54 PM, Steve Bowers wrote:

> I checked all the settings and everything looks normal. It was working
> before, about a month ago, which was the last time I had recorded an album.

Can I assume you've rebooted the computer? I've had odd, explainable
audio symptoms that have magically sorted themselves out with a reboot.

*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Stereo Recording

Billy Geiger-4
LOL....

[hidden email]

        Billy Geiger
        Winder, GA.
      (40 miles east
         of Atlanta)

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 5:48 PM, Steve Bowers <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Allistair,

    I will check that out, but I am not sure if that is it. I have not moved the turntable and it was working abut a month ago. Wish I could say I know what changed from then to now. Thanks for the advice.

Steve

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 7:55 PM, Billy Geiger <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Are you actually on Windows, if so what version exactly?

Can you describe exactly what happens? Do you get a full waveform in the
upper left channel and flat line silence in the right channel?

Gale

On 2 December 2016 at 03:19, Steve Bowers <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Gale,

   I use Windows 10. I get two waveforms, one on each side, but it is the same waveform.

Steve

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 8:20 AM, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Then I am still suggesting you should triple-check on the Recording tab of
Windows Sound that Windows Default Format for the USB turntable is set
to stereo. It most likely defaults to mono. A Windows update could reset it
to mono.

Gale

On 2 December 2016 at 15:00, Steve Bowers <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Federico Miyara

Steve,

Have you tried with other wave recorder, for instance the one bundled with the operating system? This is to confirm that the signal coming from the record player through the USB port is actually stereo.

Have you tried with a different record, for instance one that you are sure is true stereo?

Regards,

Federico

On 02/12/2016 12:00, Steve Bowers wrote:
[...]

Mailing list: [hidden email]ge.net

[...]

    There are times I can be such a dummy. It took me a while to find it since the link only talks about Windows 7, not Windows 10. I had to do some digging but I found it. And yes it was set to 1 channel. I updated it to 2 channel as suggested and it work. There are times for a computer guy (been working on them for over 35 years) I can be stupid. Thanks everyone for all the help. I love using Audacity.

Steve

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 9:14 AM, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I got it working Federico. Thanks.

On 2 December 2016 at 03:19, Steve Bowers <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:
Allistair,

    I will check that out, but I am not sure if that is it. I have not moved the turntable and it was working abut a month ago. Wish I could say I know what changed from then to now. Thanks for the advice.

Steve

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 7:55 PM, Billy Geiger <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:
LOL....

[hidden email]

        Billy Geiger
        Winder, GA.
      (40 miles east
         of Atlanta)

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 2:59 PM, Bob cavanaugh <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Mailing list: [hidden email][hidden email]ge.net

[...]

The information in that link does not say Windows 10 because Audacity
2.1.2 does not officially support Windows 10 (essentially because if just
one audio device or subdevice is incompatible with Windows 10, then
2.1.2 sees no audio devices at all).

That problem will be fixed for 2.1.3 when released, and the FAQ concerned
in the 2.1.3 Manual will refer to Windows 10 too.

Gale