Quantcast

Stop or Cancel first save of project

Generate sufficient audio, say 30 minutes on a slow HDD machine
or a few hours on a fast SSD machine. Surprisingly I needed 3 hours
of audio on my slow Linux netbook.

Save project then press Stop or Cancel before the progress dialogue
completes. Audacity freezes non-responding, and after however long
it takes, the progress dialogue closes, and the entire project with
its chosen name is on the screen.

Close and reopen the project to confirm it did save correctly.

As moving all the data back to the temp file is very likely to be slow,
should we just remove the option to Stop/Cancel? I should imagine
that only saving the data before user pressed Stop would be even
more problematic.

Re: Stop or Cancel first save of project

Stevethefiddle
On 29 March 2017 at 06:20, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Generate sufficient audio, say 30 minutes on a slow HDD machine
> or a few hours on a fast SSD machine. Surprisingly I needed 3 hours
> of audio on my slow Linux netbook.
>
> Save project then press Stop or Cancel before the progress dialogue
> completes. Audacity freezes non-responding, and after however long
> it takes, the progress dialogue closes, and the entire project with
> its chosen name is on the screen.

So you mean that Audacity "appears to" freeze, but it is actually
completing the save and the GUI is unresponsive while it does so?

> Close and reopen the project to confirm it did save correctly.

The save should have been aborted but wasn't.

> As moving all the data back to the temp file is very likely to be slow,
> should we just remove the option to Stop/Cancel?

I would have thought that we would want Stop and Cancel to work.
Yes, cleaning up after a cancelling may take an appreciable length of
time, so perhaps it would be beneficial to show a "Cleaning up"
progress dialog.

Steve

> I should imagine
> that only saving the data before user pressed Stop would be even
> more problematic.

Re: Stop or Cancel first save of project

Cliff Scott

> On Mar 29, 2017, at 2:53 AM, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 29 March 2017 at 06:20, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Generate sufficient audio, say 30 minutes on a slow HDD machine
>> or a few hours on a fast SSD machine. Surprisingly I needed 3 hours
>> of audio on my slow Linux netbook.
>>
>> Save project then press Stop or Cancel before the progress dialogue
>> completes. Audacity freezes non-responding, and after however long
>> it takes, the progress dialogue closes, and the entire project with
>> its chosen name is on the screen.
>
> So you mean that Audacity "appears to" freeze, but it is actually
> completing the save and the GUI is unresponsive while it does so?
>

>> Close and reopen the project to confirm it did save correctly.
>
> The save should have been aborted but wasn't.
>

>> As moving all the data back to the temp file is very likely to be slow,
>> should we just remove the option to Stop/Cancel?
>
> I would have thought that we would want Stop and Cancel to work.
> Yes, cleaning up after a cancelling may take an appreciable length of
> time, so perhaps it would be beneficial to show a "Cleaning up"
> progress dialog.
>
> Steve

I would definitely want it to work if it was my call. The progress dialog sounds good.

Cliff

>> I should imagine
>> that only saving the data before user pressed Stop would be even
>> more problematic.

Re: Stop or Cancel first save of project

Peter Sampson-2

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 12:50 PM, Cliff Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mar 29, 2017, at 2:53 AM, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 29 March 2017 at 06:20, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Generate sufficient audio, say 30 minutes on a slow HDD machine
>> or a few hours on a fast SSD machine. Surprisingly I needed 3 hours
>> of audio on my slow Linux netbook.
>>
>> Save project then press Stop or Cancel before the progress dialogue
>> completes. Audacity freezes non-responding, and after however long
>> it takes, the progress dialogue closes, and the entire project with
>> its chosen name is on the screen.
>
> So you mean that Audacity "appears to" freeze, but it is actually
> completing the save and the GUI is unresponsive while it does so?
>

>> Close and reopen the project to confirm it did save correctly.
>
> The save should have been aborted but wasn't.
>

>> As moving all the data back to the temp file is very likely to be slow,
>> should we just remove the option to Stop/Cancel?
>
> I would have thought that we would want Stop and Cancel to work.
> Yes, cleaning up after a cancelling may take an appreciable length of
> time, so perhaps it would be beneficial to show a "Cleaning up"
> progress dialog.
>
> Steve

I would definitely want it to work if it was my call. The progress dialog sounds good.

+1 to retaining the "Cancel" and

+1 to a progress dialog

Peter

Cliff

On 29 March 2017 at 08:53, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 29 March 2017 at 06:20, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Generate sufficient audio, say 30 minutes on a slow HDD machine
>> or a few hours on a fast SSD machine. Surprisingly I needed 3 hours
>> of audio on my slow Linux netbook.
>>
>> Save project then press Stop or Cancel before the progress dialogue
>> completes. Audacity freezes non-responding, and after however long
>> it takes, the progress dialogue closes, and the entire project with
>> its chosen name is on the screen.
>
> So you mean that Audacity "appears to" freeze, but it is actually
> completing the save and the GUI is unresponsive while it does so?

Yes that is what happens. But if you have a fast Linux machine you
might need a really long track to see the progress dialogue for the
save.

On my Linux netbook it takes about five minutes to generate a tone
of two hours, but when I save that project it happens so quickly that
there is no visible progress dialogue for the save progress.

As I said, I needed a 3 hours tone to see the progress dialogue.

>> Close and reopen the project to confirm it did save correctly.
>
> The save should have been aborted but wasn't.
>

>> As moving all the data back to the temp file is very likely to be slow,
>> should we just remove the option to Stop/Cancel?
>
> I would have thought that we would want Stop and Cancel to work.
> Yes, cleaning up after a cancelling may take an appreciable length of
> time, so perhaps it would be beneficial to show a "Cleaning up"
> progress dialog.

You really want "Stop" as well as Cancel? Stop usually processes
whatever was processed before Stop was pressed and discards
the rest. For example, for export, Stop saves a shortened audio
file .

So if we stopped Save, would we have a shortened project, with
the other audio left in the temp folder? Or discard what we did
not Save (data loss)? Something else? I really think we should
only Cancel, not Stop, if we offer any choice during Save progress.

Gale

On 29 March 2017 at 21:21, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 29 March 2017 at 08:53, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 29 March 2017 at 06:20, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Generate sufficient audio, say 30 minutes on a slow HDD machine
>>> or a few hours on a fast SSD machine. Surprisingly I needed 3 hours
>>> of audio on my slow Linux netbook.
>>>
>>> Save project then press Stop or Cancel before the progress dialogue
>>> completes. Audacity freezes non-responding, and after however long
>>> it takes, the progress dialogue closes, and the entire project with
>>> its chosen name is on the screen.
>>
>> So you mean that Audacity "appears to" freeze, but it is actually
>> completing the save and the GUI is unresponsive while it does so?
>
> Yes that is what happens. But if you have a fast Linux machine you
> might need a really long track to see the progress dialogue for the
> save.
>
> On my Linux netbook it takes about five minutes to generate a tone
> of two hours, but when I save that project it happens so quickly that
> there is no visible progress dialogue for the save progress.
>
> As I said, I needed a 3 hours tone to see the progress dialogue.
>

>>> Close and reopen the project to confirm it did save correctly.
>>
>> The save should have been aborted but wasn't.
>>

>>> As moving all the data back to the temp file is very likely to be slow,
>>> should we just remove the option to Stop/Cancel?
>>
>> I would have thought that we would want Stop and Cancel to work.
>> Yes, cleaning up after a cancelling may take an appreciable length of
>> time, so perhaps it would be beneficial to show a "Cleaning up"
>> progress dialog.
>
> You really want "Stop" as well as Cancel?

No, I misunderstood what you meant by "remove the option to Stop.Cancel".

> Stop usually processes
> whatever was processed before Stop was pressed and discards
> the rest. For example, for export, Stop saves a shortened audio
> file .
>
> So if we stopped Save, would we have a shortened project, with
> the other audio left in the temp folder? Or discard what we did
> not Save (data loss)? Something else? I really think we should
> only Cancel, not Stop, if we offer any choice during Save progress.

I agree, we should just have an option to Cancel.