Suggestions for source language (english)

Suggestions for source language (english)

scootergrisen
Some suggestions to improve the source language (english) translation:

For this string:
#: src/HelpText.cpp:220
msgid ""
"You do not appear to have the 'help' folder installed.<br> Please <a "
"href=\"*URL*\">view the content online</a> or <a "
"href=\"http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/unzipping_the_manual.html\"> "
"change \"Location of Manual\" in<br> Interface Preferences to \"From "
"Internet\"."

I suggest these changes:
"You do not appear to have the 'help' folder installed."

"The manual does not appear to be installed."

"view the content online"

"view the manual online"

"download the current Manual"

"download the Manual"

---

For this string:
"Plug-ins %d to %d"

Maybe there should not be a "s"?:
"Plug-in %d to %d"

So i becomes "Plug-in 1 to 15".
I'm not sure if that is correct in english.

---

For the string:
"Open Recent"
Used in Mac OS X, maybe we could add a link so translators can see what
the string is translated to in theyr language if such a website exists.
I don't know if apple offers that.

---

There are these two strings:
#: src/effects/ChangeSpeed.cpp:59
msgid "n/a"

#: src/effects/ladspa/LadspaEffect.cpp:634 src/effects/lv2/LV2Effect.cpp:385
#: src/effects/lv2/LV2Effect.cpp:398
msgid "N/A"

I suggest:
Join them to one string decide if should use big or small letters.

Re: Suggestions for source language (english)

James Crook
Thanks for the suggestions.  Done.

On 8/19/2016 6:49 PM, scootergrisen wrote:

> Some suggestions to improve the source language (english) translation:
>
> For this string:
> #: src/HelpText.cpp:220
> msgid ""
> "You do not appear to have the 'help' folder installed.<br> Please <a"
> "href=\"*URL*\">view the content online</a> or <a"
> "href=\"http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/unzipping_the_manual.html\">"
> "change \"Location of Manual\" in<br> Interface Preferences to \"From"
> "Internet\"."
>
> I suggest these changes:
> "You do not appear to have the 'help' folder installed."
>   >
> "The manual does not appear to be installed."
>
> "view the content online"
>   >
> "view the manual online"
>
> "download the current Manual"
>   >
> "download the Manual"
Nice.  Shorter and clearer (in my opinion).

> ---
>
> For this string:
> "Plug-ins %d to %d"
>
> Maybe there should not be a "s"?:
> "Plug-in %d to %d"
>
> So i becomes "Plug-in 1 to 15".
> I'm not sure if that is correct in english.

Both are correct in English.
I think the difference is that Plug-ins 7 to 9 emphasises the ensemble
of them, whereas Plug-in 7 to 9 emphasises their individuality.  As the
user is about to pick one of them from a menu, I the individuality is
slightly better.

> ---
>
> For the string:
> "Open Recent"
> Used in Mac OS X, maybe we could add a link so translators can see what
> the string is translated to in theyr language if such a website exists.
> I don't know if apple offers that.
Didn't do anything about this as I didn't know where to point translators.

> There are these two strings:
> #: src/effects/ChangeSpeed.cpp:59
> msgid "n/a"
>
> #: src/effects/ladspa/LadspaEffect.cpp:634 src/effects/lv2/LV2Effect.cpp:385
> #: src/effects/lv2/LV2Effect.cpp:398
> msgid "N/A"
>
> I suggest:
> Join them to one string decide if should use big or small letters.
All changed to n/a now, since I think mostly where they appear in the
user interface the user should just ignore the n/a entries rather than
needing to pay attention to the N/A status.

Thanks for helping us improve Audacity.