Sync-lock labels and audio

1 Turn on Sync-lock tracks.
2 Generate some audio.
3 Add a label about half way along the audio.
4 Change to Time-Shift Tool.
5 Drag the audio track. The label moves as well as the audio
   as expected.
6 Shift-drag the audio track. Only the audio track moves. That
   gives alternative behaviour so I think it's good.
7 Drag the label track. It moves thanks to fixes by Paul.The audio
   track does not move. Shift-drag the label track. Still only the
   label track moves.

Wouldn't it be better if dragging the label track dragged the
audio track? Otherwise the Sync-Lock icon in the label track
seems a little misleading,

I agree we'd have to decide what to do about clips in the audio
track when dragging the label track. Either dragging the label
track would not move the audio track, or would only move it if
you dragged from a label that was in a clip that could move.

Is this worth logging as something we should improve?

Re: Sync-lock labels and audio

Stevethefiddle
On 14 June 2017 at 15:17, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 1 Turn on Sync-lock tracks.
> 2 Generate some audio.
> 3 Add a label about half way along the audio.
> 4 Change to Time-Shift Tool.
> 5 Drag the audio track. The label moves as well as the audio
>    as expected.
> 6 Shift-drag the audio track. Only the audio track moves. That
>    gives alternative behaviour so I think it's good.
> 7 Drag the label track. It moves thanks to fixes by Paul.

Ooh, I'd not noticed that. Very nice, thanks Paul (and Gale for
mentioning it) :-)

> The audio
>    track does not move. Shift-drag the label track. Still only the
>    label track moves.
>
> Wouldn't it be better if dragging the label track dragged the
> audio track? Otherwise the Sync-Lock icon in the label track
> seems a little misleading,

and shift + drag the label track moves the label track only?
Yes, that would seem reasonable / intuitive.

> I agree we'd have to decide what to do about clips in the audio
> track when dragging the label track. Either dragging the label
> track would not move the audio track, or would only move it if
> you dragged from a label that was in a clip that could move.

My first thoughts are that all clips move.
Yes we would need to think about it and decide.

> Is this worth logging as something we should improve?

Yes, worth logging somewhere.

Feature request?
Bugzilla Enh?

Either way, it may need a wiki proposal page at some point.