Testing installations on W10 - and a call for similar on Linux

Testing installations on W10 - and a call for similar on Linux

Peter Sampson-2
Following the recent thorough review of installing on Mac, occasioned by the
current Mac LAME bugs, I turned my attention to Windows this afternoon.

Logging in as an unpriveleged (non-admin) user and following the instructions in the alpha Manual:
http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Installing_and_updating_Audacity_on_Windows

I can confirm that as a non-admin user one cannot use the .exe for Audacity, LAME or FFmpeg to
install without administrator intervention and permission.

However the non-admin user can successfullyuse the zips for all three and install on their destop,
from where it all runs fine.

This has led me to make a few changes to the Windows installation page - and updated images
for FFmpeg library NOT found for all three OS-specific installation pages.

So I am happy now that the Manual installtion pages are looking good for Windows and Mac
installation for 2.1.3.

Linux

I have no way of verifying the Linux page:
http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Installing_and_updating_Audacity_on_Linux

A key reason for wanting to ensure that is is accurate and complete is that we are currently deprecating
the LAME Installation page in the Wiki - with some consolidation in the MP3 page, so the installation
pages in the Manual will become the primary source after 2.1.3 release.

The talk page of the Mp3 page has the old material form Wiki>LAME installation:
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Talk:MP3

Can a Linux-skilled user please have a look at:
a) the Linux installationpage in the Manual (to check for accuracy and veracity)
b) The Wiki>MP3 Talk page - to see if there is any material there that deserves either transferring to the
Manual installation page or to the Wiki>MP3 page

Re: Testing installations on W10 - and a call for similar on Linux

Stevethefiddle
I don't really know what's best on the Linux page:
http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Installing_and_updating_Audacity_on_Linux

It begins with a very short list of distributions that "maintain
regularly updated Audacity packages".
That list could be very much longer, including:

Debian
openSUSE
ManjarLinux
Fedora
Arch Linux
PCLinuxOS
Solus
Mageia
LXLE
FreeBSD
Tails
GentoLinux
Korora Project
KNOPPIX
Ubuntu Studio
4MLinux
DragonFly BSD
Absolute Linux
NixOS
AV Linux
Wifislax
Frugalware Linux
Vine Linux
NetBSD
Metamorphose Linux
Void
Pearl Linux OS
FuntoLinux
Sonar GNU/Linux
LuninuX OS
PLD Linux Distribution

and then there are hundreds of derivative distributions that can use
their parent repository.

Installation methods vary depending on the package management system,
and there is a wide choice here:
https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=package-management

and then there are graphical front ends for many of these tools, such
as "Ubuntu Software Centre", Synaptic and Aptitude GUIs for Apt.

Might it be better to just recommend that Linux users install Audacity:
"using their usual package manager where available, or alternatively
build the latest version from source".

Steve

On 9 January 2017 at 18:29, Peter Sampson
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Following the recent thorough review of installing on Mac, occasioned by the
> current Mac LAME bugs, I turned my attention to Windows this afternoon.
>
> Logging in as an unpriveleged (non-admin) user and following the
> instructions in the alpha Manual:
> http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Installing_and_updating_Audacity_on_Windows
>
> I can confirm that as a non-admin user one cannot use the .exe for Audacity,
> LAME or FFmpeg to
> install without administrator intervention and permission.
>
> However the non-admin user can successfullyuse the zips for all three and
> install on their destop,
> from where it all runs fine.
>
> This has led me to make a few changes to the Windows installation page - and
> updated images
> for FFmpeg library NOT found for all three OS-specific installation pages.
>
> So I am happy now that the Manual installtion pages are looking good for
> Windows and Mac
> installation for 2.1.3.

> Linux
>
> I have no way of verifying the Linux page:
> http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Installing_and_updating_Audacity_on_Linux
>
> A key reason for wanting to ensure that is is accurate and complete is that
> we are currently deprecating
> the LAME Installation page in the Wiki - with some consolidation in the MP3
> page, so the installation
> pages in the Manual will become the primary source after 2.1.3 release.
>
> The talk page of the Mp3 page has the old material form Wiki>LAME
> installation:
> http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Talk:MP3
>
> Can a Linux-skilled user please have a look at:
> a) the Linux installationpage in the Manual (to check for accuracy and
> veracity)
> b) The Wiki>MP3 Talk page - to see if there is any material there that
> deserves either transferring to the
> Manual installation page or to the Wiki>MP3 page
>
> Thanks,
> Peter.

Re: Testing installations on W10 - and a call for similar on Linux

The text in the Manual is a straight lift from
http://www.audacityteam.org/download/linux/ .

I agree we could just say something like Steve suggests

"using their usual package manager where available, or alternatively
build the latest Audacity release from source code
http://www.audacityteam.org/download/source/ .

I think it is good to encourage building the latest release. Those
who really want alpha builds will be able to figure how to find those.

Gale

Stevethefiddle wrote

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Following the recent thorough review of installing on Mac, occasioned by the
> current Mac LAME bugs, I turned my attention to Windows this afternoon.
>
> Logging in as an unpriveleged (non-admin) user and following the
> instructions in the alpha Manual:
> http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Installing_and_updating_Audacity_on_Windows
>
> I can confirm that as a non-admin user one cannot use the .exe for Audacity,
> LAME or FFmpeg to
> install without administrator intervention and permission.
>
> However the non-admin user can successfullyuse the zips for all three and
> install on their destop,
> from where it all runs fine.
>
> This has led me to make a few changes to the Windows installation page - and
> updated images
> for FFmpeg library NOT found for all three OS-specific installation pages.
>
> So I am happy now that the Manual installtion pages are looking good for
> Windows and Mac
> installation for 2.1.3.

> Linux
>
> I have no way of verifying the Linux page:
> http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Installing_and_updating_Audacity_on_Linux
>
> A key reason for wanting to ensure that is is accurate and complete is that
> we are currently deprecating
> the LAME Installation page in the Wiki - with some consolidation in the MP3
> page, so the installation
> pages in the Manual will become the primary source after 2.1.3 release.
>
> The talk page of the Mp3 page has the old material form Wiki>LAME
> installation:
> http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Talk:MP3
>
> Can a Linux-skilled user please have a look at:
> a) the Linux installationpage in the Manual (to check for accuracy and
> veracity)
> b) The Wiki>MP3 Talk page - to see if there is any material there that
> deserves either transferring to the
> Manual installation page or to the Wiki>MP3 page
>
> Thanks,
> Peter.

Re: Testing installations on W10 - and a call for similar on Linux

Peter Sampson-2
Ok - so I made some tweaks to the Linux installation page:
http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Installing_and_updating_Audacity_on_Linux

Re: Testing installations on W10 - and a call for similar on Linux

Peter Sampson-2 wrote
Ok - so I made some tweaks to the Linux installation page:
http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Installing_and_updating_Audacity_on_Linux

Peter
Thanks, Peter. I tweaked it, removing the remaining partial list of distros
but keeping a link to rpmseek.

Information specific to Ubuntu/Linux Mint has been retained, to help their
users find a correct build of Audacity (and to avoid alpha releases unless
they really want them).

I updated http://www.audacityteam.org/download/linux/ to match.

Gale