Tool tips for track panel make things discoverable.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Tool tips for track panel make things discoverable.

Paul Licameli
When you hover over one of our toolbar buttons or sliders, a tooltip appears with the same text as is in the status bar.

A bit of experiment shows that it is very simple to get the same behavior in TrackPanel, for any of the several status bar messages.

Should I do it?

Should I add " (TAB for more choices)" as appropriate, if this new development is agreeable to us all, making the TAB key cycling very discoverable?

Should I define new status bar and tooltip texts for the TCP buttons and sliders?  There are not yet any.

Nominations for exact wording?  There are three sliders and five buttons:  Gain, Pan, Velocity; Close, Menu, Minimize, Mute, Solo.  Besides which, there are also the MIDI channel buttons.

PRL


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
audacity-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Tool tips for track panel make things discoverable.

Paul Licameli


On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 8:06 PM, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]> wrote:
When you hover over one of our toolbar buttons or sliders, a tooltip appears with the same text as is in the status bar.

A bit of experiment shows that it is very simple to get the same behavior in TrackPanel, for any of the several status bar messages.

Should I do it?

Should I add " (TAB for more choices)" as appropriate, if this new development is agreeable to us all, making the TAB key cycling very discoverable?

Asking forgiveness instead of permission... I just did it at fcc7bfea.  See if you like it.  Easily reverted if we don't.

Gale, tell me if "TAB" is correct or "Tab" or "tab" to name the key in the message.

I think this leaves no question about discoverability of the TAB key.  Is this enough, then, that we want to revert the changed appearance of split lines as unnecessary now?

I also added a distinction of tooltip/status bar messages when you TAB cycle between snapping and non-snapping selection.
 

Should I define new status bar and tooltip texts for the TCP buttons and sliders?  There are not yet any.

I looked at this, and there are a number of questions, to be raised in another email thread.
 

Nominations for exact wording?  There are three sliders and five buttons:  Gain, Pan, Velocity; Close, Menu, Minimize, Mute, Solo.  Besides which, there are also the MIDI channel buttons.

For the sliders, it may be unnecessary, because they do show a tooltip when you click or drag them.  But that does leave an inconsistency with the other sliders in toolbars.  Those in the bars show a tooltip simply for hovering.  Those in TCP don't.  Making all sliders consistent may not be hard, but not quite so simple as for the other tips.  Making hover tooltips for sliders the easy way, would make duplicate tooltips in different colors when you click -- and that is undesirable.
 
PRL


PRL



------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
audacity-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Tool tips for track panel make things discoverable.

Gale
Administrator
On 14 July 2017 at 03:51, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 8:06 PM, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> When you hover over one of our toolbar buttons or sliders, a tooltip
>> appears with the same text as is in the status bar.
>>
>> A bit of experiment shows that it is very simple to get the same behavior
>> in TrackPanel, for any of the several status bar messages.
>>
>> Should I do it?
>>
>> Should I add " (TAB for more choices)" as appropriate, if this new
>> development is agreeable to us all, making the TAB key cycling very
>> discoverable?
>
>
> Asking forgiveness instead of permission... I just did it at fcc7bfea.  See
> if you like it.  Easily reverted if we don't.
>
> Gale, tell me if "TAB" is correct or "Tab" or "tab" to name the key in the
> message.

I think Peter is correct that shortcuts are sentence case as per
http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Keyboard_Shortcut_Reference.


So "Tab" is correct and we also want "Esc" not ESC.

http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Keyboard_Shortcut_Reference_-_Full_set
still shows fully capitalised shortcuts for now.

Tooltips, Infotips and Status Bar messages are sentence case. They
only take title
caps if they explicitly refer to menu items that take title caps.



Gale

> I think this leaves no question about discoverability of the TAB key.  Is
> this enough, then, that we want to revert the changed appearance of split
> lines as unnecessary now?
>
> I also added a distinction of tooltip/status bar messages when you TAB cycle
> between snapping and non-snapping selection.
>
>>
>>
>> Should I define new status bar and tooltip texts for the TCP buttons and
>> sliders?  There are not yet any.
>
>
> I looked at this, and there are a number of questions, to be raised in
> another email thread.
>
>>
>>
>> Nominations for exact wording?  There are three sliders and five buttons:
>> Gain, Pan, Velocity; Close, Menu, Minimize, Mute, Solo.  Besides which,
>> there are also the MIDI channel buttons.
>
>
> For the sliders, it may be unnecessary, because they do show a tooltip when
> you click or drag them.  But that does leave an inconsistency with the other
> sliders in toolbars.  Those in the bars show a tooltip simply for hovering.
> Those in TCP don't.  Making all sliders consistent may not be hard, but not
> quite so simple as for the other tips.  Making hover tooltips for sliders
> the easy way, would make duplicate tooltips in different colors when you
> click -- and that is undesirable.
>
> PRL
>
>>
>> PRL
>>
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
> engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
> _______________________________________________
> audacity-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-devel
>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
audacity-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-devel
Loading...