Transparency and buttons

James Crook
Just a note that the crinkly edges on help buttons and possible 'corner
spots' on the large buttons are down to transparency/alpha channel
issues.  The large buttons in Classic theme have transparent corners,
and the help icon alpha is converted to on/off rather than a number
between 0 and 255.  I plan at some point before 2.2.0 to fix these both,
if people are wondering/concerned about them.

Re: Transparency and buttons

Paul Licameli

On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 9:02 AM, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just a note that the crinkly edges on help buttons and possible 'corner spots' on the large buttons are down to transparency/alpha channel issues.  The large buttons in Classic theme have transparent corners, and the help icon alpha is converted to on/off rather than a number between 0 and 255.  I plan at some point before 2.2.0 to fix these both, if people are wondering/concerned about them.

On which platforms?

On 6/10/2017 2:21 PM, Paul Licameli wrote:
On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 9:02 AM, James Crook [hidden email] wrote:

Just a note that the crinkly edges on help buttons and possible 'corner
spots' on the large buttons are down to transparency/alpha channel issues.
The large buttons in Classic theme have transparent corners, and the help
icon alpha is converted to on/off rather than a number between 0 and 255.
I plan at some point before 2.2.0 to fix these both, if people are
wondering/concerned about them.

On which platforms?
PRL
The problem is cross platform.  The crinkly edges to the help icon circle show on all platforms.  The 'corner spots' don't show on windows 10 (default) because I made the colour that gets substituted match.  They won't show on mac, because mac has different buttons that don't use transparency.  On Linux and win with a dark OS theme the large buttons will have light spots at the corners.

The fix to the corner spots is generic, and means we could use alpha on the mac buttons, if we want to.

On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 10:14 AM, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I mentioned problems with the Transport toolbar buttons on Mac in Light theme, and you said you would pass, but maybe this is part of that.

On 6/10/2017 3:31 PM, Paul Licameli wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 10:14 AM, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 6/10/2017 2:21 PM, Paul Licameli wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 9:02 AM, James Crook <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Just a note that the crinkly edges on help buttons and possible 'corner
>> spots' on the large buttons are down to transparency/alpha channel issues.
>> The large buttons in Classic theme have transparent corners, and the help
>> icon alpha is converted to on/off rather than a number between 0 and 255.
>> I plan at some point before 2.2.0 to fix these both, if people are
>> wondering/concerned about them.
>>

>> On which platforms?
>> PRL
>>
>> The problem is cross platform.  The crinkly edges to the help icon circle
>> show on all platforms.  The 'corner spots' don't show on windows 10
>> (default) because I made the colour that gets substituted match.  They
>> won't show on mac, because mac has different buttons that don't use
>> transparency.  On Linux and win with a dark OS theme the large buttons will
>> have light spots at the corners.
>>
>> The fix to the corner spots is generic, and means we could use alpha on
>> the mac buttons, if we want to.
>>
> I mentioned problems with the Transport toolbar buttons on Mac in Light
> theme, and you said you would pass, but maybe this is part of that.
>
> PRL
I don't think so, because the mac icons are solid, and the problem I
intend to look into is about transparency.

BTW, if you #define EXPERIMENTAL_THEME_PREFS
On windows you can opt in to seeing mac styling for the buttons, on the
interface prefs page.  This is just to ease theme development work, not
intended for mainstream use.