Quantcast

Type of mic to use?

David Stroud

Hi. I have a standard PA-type voice mic that I would like to use with Audacity to record guitar parts to my PC. Can I use this mic with an adapter cable like the one listed below? Will it work with Audacity? I am not looking for brilliant sound quality, I just need something to use as a "looper" for a training aid.

Thanks!

David Stroud
Mansfield, TX

Shure RP325 Sound Card and Video Interface Cable
Shure RP325 Sound Card and Video Interface Cable
pad Sound card interface cable, 15 foot XLR female to stereo 3.5mm phone plug. Sound Blaster compatible. Also for Video applications (microphone to camcorder).
pad
RP325

Re: Type of mic to use?

audacity-help mailing list

    | From David Stroud
    | Mon, 10 Sep 2007 07:08:22 -0700 (PDT)
    | Subject: [Audacity-help] Type of mic to use?
    | I have a standard PA-type voice mic that I would like to use with
    | Audacity to record guitar parts to my PC. Can I use this mic with
    | an adapter cable like the one listed below? Will it work with Audacity?
    | I am not looking for brilliant sound quality, I just need something to
    | use as a "looper" for a training aid.

We cannot tell you precisely because we don't know what microphone you
have now. Obviously if the microphone only has an XLR connector then you
will need an adaptor like the one you list:
http://music1online.com/shurerp325.html

or:
http://www.csctoronto.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=1487

so that you can connect it to the 3.5 mm (1/8 inch) microphone input port
on your computer. If the microphone you have is a condenser microphone
then it almost certainly won't give you enough volume connected directly to
the computer microphone port anyway. Read the documentation for the
microphone to ascertain its specifications. If the microphone needs
amplification then you will need to connect it through a mixer or pre-amplifier
that will amplify the signal to line level, and then connect it to the line-in port
of the computer. Or if you have no line-in, connect the microphone through
an external audio interface device that provides microphone pre-amplification
and connects to the computer via USB or Firewire.  Most mixers/pre-amplifiers
or appropriate interface devices will have an XLR jack built in.

Gale Andrews

Outbound message virus free.
Tested on: 9/10/2007 6:37:21 PM