Quantcast

USB AUDIO CODEC DRIVER

Dieter Doermann
Hi,

I have a Quattra 3.4 ghz pentinum hyperthreading,  2 DDR Ram  160 GB Hard drive Laptop.  op. System is windows XP hom e edition
I bought a USB Record Deck  ( ION)  with Your Software. ( Although I bought of You before Audacity  for Vocal removal and have now also the 1.2.6 version.
However,  There is no Way my computer picks this device up, because it cannot find anywhere the  USB AUDIO CODEC  Driver.
It comes up with yellow ??  as " other devices". and in the Control panel "sounds and devices" under Audio, it gives me a choice of :  Realtek ac97 audio and
Modem#Line Playback and   Record.....
In Audacity the Choices ( in Playback and Recording) are Microsoft Mapper Output/input, Realtek AC97 Audio,  and Modem# Line playback/record.
I tried to get the driver on the winXP disc, Util Disk,  and the Internet.  Judging by the 1000nds who asking the same questions on the net,  I think it is time
that some comes up with a driver instead of writing...have you done this???  and that???   etc
I contacted ION and had a Email back telling me what I should do  ( This and that) and it still won't work.

Have you got any Ideas ?  can you help or have some advice??

I would be very gratefull

Yours faithfully

Dieter Doermann

Re: USB AUDIO CODEC DRIVER

audacity-help mailing list

    | From Dieter Doermann
    | Thu, 28 Jun 2007 22:32:32 +0100
    | Subject: [Audacity-help] USB  AUDIO CODEC DRIVER
    | I have a Quattra 3.4 ghz pentinum hyperthreading,  2 DDR Ram
    |  160 GB Hard drive Laptop.  op. System is windows XP hom e edition
    | I bought a USB Record Deck  ( ION)  with Your Software. ( Although I
    | bought of You before Audacity  for Vocal removal and have now also the
    | 1.2.6 version.

We don't sell Audacity. We recommend you use only versions of Audacity
downloaded from us:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

Anyone is free to modify and/or resell Audacity under the General Public License
if they distribute it with a copy of that Licence and with the program source
code. However we don't have any relationship with such resellers, so cannot
know whether they have modified Audacity or not, and so cannot generally
speaking support resold copies.

    | There is no Way my computer picks this device up, because it
    | cannot find anywhere the  USB AUDIO CODEC  Driver.
    | It comes up with yellow ??  as " other devices". and in the Control panel
    | "sounds and devices" under Audio, it gives me a choice of :
    | Realtek ac97 audio
    | Modem#Line Playback and   Record.....
    | In Audacity the Choices ( in Playback and Recording) are Microsoft
    | Mapper Output/input, Realtek AC97 Audio,  and Modem# Line
    | playback/record.
    | I tried to get the driver on the winXP disc, Util Disk,  and the Internet.
    | Judging by the 1000nds who asking the same questions on the net,  I think
    | it is time that some comes up with a driver instead of writing...have you
    | done this?
    | I contacted ION and had a Email back telling me what I should do  ( This
    | and that) and it still won't work.

So what did Ion tell you to do? I don't know what you saw on the internet but
the Ion turntable is fully USB Audio Class compliant, meaning it should work as
a plug and play device using the drivers already on your system. Accordingly
there are absolutely no special drivers for it.

If you see yellow exclamation marks in Windows Device Manager against the
USB Turntable, the most likely explanation is that either the USB cable or the
turntable itself is faulty. Have you replaced the USB cable with a new one, and
rebooted? Please see:
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=USB_turntables#Troubleshooting

The only other possibility is that Windows is corrupt in which case you should
back up your data, enter your XP CD and do an "upgrade install". However,
unless when you plugged the turntable in the first time you got error messages
that files could not be found and were prompted to insert your XP CD, it's far
more likely that the turntable/cable is at fault. If Ion won't help I would
telephone them:
http://ion-audio.com/contact.php

and request an authorisation number to return the turntable.

Gale Andrews

Outbound message virus free.
Tested on: 6/29/2007 2:22:28 AM

Re: USB AUDIO CODEC DRIVER

Dieter Doermann
Thank you very much for your reply.

The device and cable actually work on my old  Laptop ("TIME") with win 98
2nd edition. Unfortunatly the machine is 6 years old and the cpu is not
powerfull enough to record seamlessly

Yours faithfully

Dieter Doermann

> [...]
> turntable itself is faulty. Have you replaced the USB cable with a new
> one, and
> rebooted? Please see:
> http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=USB_turntables#Troubleshooting
>
> The only other possibility is that Windows is corrupt in which case you
> should
> back up your data, enter your XP CD and do an "upgrade install". However,
> unless when you plugged the turntable in the first time you got error
> messages
> that files could not be found and were prompted to insert your XP CD, it's
> far
> more likely that the turntable/cable is at fault. If Ion won't help I
> would
> telephone them:
> http://ion-audio.com/contact.php
>
> and request an authorisation number to return the turntable.

Re: USB AUDIO CODEC DRIVER

audacity-help mailing list

    | From Dieter Doermann
    | Fri, 29 Jun 2007 12:22:08 +0100
    | Subject: [Audacity-help] USB  AUDIO CODEC DRIVER
    | The device and cable actually work on my old  Laptop ("TIME") with win 98
    | 2nd edition. Unfortunatly the machine is 6 years old and the cpu is not
    | powerfull enough to record seamlessly

In that case there must be a problem with the Windows installation on the
XP machine and you should definitely back up your data on that machine
(e.g. over Ethernet to the Windows 98 machine or to a portable drive) and do
an "upgrade installation" of XP. That ought to fix it. As for the Windows 98
machine what is its RAM (MB) and speed (MHz)? You ought to be able to
record satisfactorily on that machine if you can enable DMA:
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=DMA_mode

and take other sensible precautions like minimising Audacity and shutting down
other programs while recording, and connect the turntable to a free USB port
not to a hub. See these tips here:
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Managing_Computer_Resources_and_Drivers

Gale Andrews

Outbound message virus free.
Tested on: 6/29/2007 4:50:43 PM

Re: USB AUDIO CODEC DRIVER

Dieter Doermann
I want to say a big Thanks you for your help.
All the best

Dieter Doermann