Quantcast

Unchanged metadata makes project dirty WAS Re: Cannot Save an empty Project

Unchanged metadata makes project dirty WAS Re: Cannot Save an empty Project

I made a new thread assuming I understand correctly.

On Windows in HEAD this no longer happens.

1 New Project
2 Open Metadata Editor, click Cancel or OK
3 File > Close,  no prompt to save changes.

4 Open a project that has saved metadata
5 Open Metadata Editor, click Cancel or OK
6 File > Close,  no prompt to save changes.

But if you have something to export, you have made the project
dirty and you will be prompted.

If that doesn't help could you give numbered steps?

Gale

On 9 February 2017 at 15:51, Cliff Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> While we're talking about what constitutes a "change" to trigger a request
> to Save on closing can we consider the case where the Metadata is just
> looked at or comes up on Export, but is not changed as "no change"? It's
> kind of a pain to have the dialog come up when closing after Exporting
> saying that there is a change when in fact there was no change. Not a major
> problem, but one of those little irritations that tarnish the image of
> Audacity.
>
> Cliff

Re: Unchanged metadata makes project dirty WAS Re: Cannot Save an empty Project

Cliff Scott
Thanks Gale. Are you saying that you see what you described on Windows?

In doing some more testing on the Mac to try to pin down the exact sequence that causes it I find it is rather inconsistent. Sometimes on very small projects it doesn't have any problem, but on larger ones it does, but not always. I'll keep working at it to get a set sequence that can be tested.

Cliff

> On Feb 9, 2017, at 12:21 PM, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I made a new thread assuming I understand correctly.
>
> On Windows in HEAD this no longer happens.
>
> 1 New Project
> 2 Open Metadata Editor, click Cancel or OK
> 3 File > Close,  no prompt to save changes.
>
> 4 Open a project that has saved metadata
> 5 Open Metadata Editor, click Cancel or OK
> 6 File > Close,  no prompt to save changes.
>
> But if you have something to export, you have made the project
> dirty and you will be prompted.
>
> If that doesn't help could you give numbered steps?
>

> Gale
>

> On 9 February 2017 at 15:51, Cliff Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> While we're talking about what constitutes a "change" to trigger a request
>> to Save on closing can we consider the case where the Metadata is just
>> looked at or comes up on Export, but is not changed as "no change"? It's
>> kind of a pain to have the dialog come up when closing after Exporting
>> saying that there is a change when in fact there was no change. Not a major
>> problem, but one of those little irritations that tarnish the image of
>> Audacity.
>>
>> Cliff

Re: Unchanged metadata makes project dirty WAS Re: Cannot Save an empty Project

Yes I see steps 1 to 6 happening reliably on Windows, i.e. no problem.

Gale

On 9 February 2017 at 19:19, Cliff Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Gale. Are you saying that you see what you described on Windows?
>
> In doing some more testing on the Mac to try to pin down the exact sequence that causes it I find it is rather inconsistent. Sometimes on very small projects it doesn't have any problem, but on larger ones it does, but not always. I'll keep working at it to get a set sequence that can be tested.
>
> Cliff
>> On Feb 9, 2017, at 12:21 PM, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I made a new thread assuming I understand correctly.
>>
>> On Windows in HEAD this no longer happens.
>>
>> 1 New Project
>> 2 Open Metadata Editor, click Cancel or OK
>> 3 File > Close,  no prompt to save changes.
>>
>> 4 Open a project that has saved metadata
>> 5 Open Metadata Editor, click Cancel or OK
>> 6 File > Close,  no prompt to save changes.
>>
>> But if you have something to export, you have made the project
>> dirty and you will be prompted.
>>
>> If that doesn't help could you give numbered steps?
>>

>> Gale
>>

>> On 9 February 2017 at 15:51, Cliff Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> While we're talking about what constitutes a "change" to trigger a request
>>> to Save on closing can we consider the case where the Metadata is just
>>> looked at or comes up on Export, but is not changed as "no change"? It's
>>> kind of a pain to have the dialog come up when closing after Exporting
>>> saying that there is a change when in fact there was no change. Not a major
>>> problem, but one of those little irritations that tarnish the image of
>>> Audacity.
>>>
>>> Cliff

Re: Unchanged metadata makes project dirty WAS Re: Cannot Save an empty Project

Cliff Scott
Ok. I think I have clarity on the Mac at least.

My results for the items 4,5 & 6 sequence is slightly different.

I still get the prompt to save at step 6 if OK is selected at step 5. Not if Cancel is selected.

Also the same on Export. The prompt only comes up when OK has been selected in the Metadata editor. The editor can be brought up manually as in step 5 or have the preferences set to automatically bring it up on export. Either way after export the results are the same.

Note: Export multiple does not cause the prompt to save when closing after the export even if OK has been selected on each Metadata page. I'm pretty sure I've seen the prompt to save previously, but for now I can't get it to happen with Export Multiple.

Cliff