Updating wxWidgets fork

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Updating wxWidgets fork

Darrell Walisser
I just started a new PR to update this and get all patches added (from mac/ and windows/)

To start things off, I have merged from mainline the branch "WX_3_0_BRANCH" since (I presume) the 3.0.x version is the only one we're interested in. I also think we should delete all of the other branches and rename this to "master" to make it cleaner.

If the approach is agreeable I will add our patches to this PR as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
audacity-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Updating wxWidgets fork

James Crook
Woah!

I see zillions of commits.  We don't want a heavily patched private
branch of wx3.0.2.  Are these changes all necessary for OpenMP?  If not
what is the rationale for adding them?

We have our patches to 3.0.2 on
https://github.com/audacity/wxWidgets/commits/audacity-fixes
With some partial explanations in the wiki....
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/For_Upstream_wxWidgets

Ideally we will clean this up and get wxWidgets to review and accept our
changes into a future wxWidgets.  Then we can upgrade to that version,
and again work with a standard unpatched wxWidgets.

I'm not understanding what the PR with many commits in it is achieving.

--James.






On 2/13/2017 7:36 PM, Darrell Walisser wrote:

> I just started a new PR to update this and get all patches added (from mac/
> and windows/)
>
> To start things off, I have merged from mainline the branch "WX_3_0_BRANCH"
> since (I presume) the 3.0.x version is the only one we're interested in. I
> also think we should delete all of the other branches and rename this to
> "master" to make it cleaner.
>
> If the approach is agreeable I will add our patches to this PR as well.
>


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
audacity-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Updating wxWidgets fork

Darrell Walisser



On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 3:39 PM, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
Woah!

I see zillions of commits.  We don't want a heavily patched private
branch of wx3.0.2.  Are these changes all necessary for OpenMP?  If not
what is the rationale for adding them?

​Doh, I did not notice the audacity-fixes branch.... I thought I was doing something which has apparently already been done. I will have to look at this branch to see if anything is needed for the cross compile. 

What do you think about also rebasing to the current 3.0.3 branch? Or maybe have a release and development branch. Realistically all the patches are not going to be accepted, but we can keep rebasing to the current 3.0.x series to get other bug fixes.

I still think it would be good to nuke all the branches we don't care about.



------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
audacity-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Updating wxWidgets fork

James Crook
On 2/13/2017 9:14 PM, Darrell Walisser wrote:

> Doh, I did not notice the audacity-fixes branch.... I thought I was doing
> something which has apparently already been done. I will have to look at
> this branch to see if anything is needed for the cross compile.
>
> What do you think about also rebasing to the current 3.0.3 branch?
Our experience to date has been that updating to new versions of
wxWidgets just creates new problems.  We have been reluctant to do so
unless we have strong reasons to.  If we gain something tangible from
rebasing off 3.0.3 then it could be worth doing.  What bug fixes that
actually affect us do we gain from?  GTK window resizing bug fixes?  At
the moment I'd rather the bugs we know than new ones.

> Or maybe have a release and development branch. Realistically all the patches are
> not going to be accepted, but we can keep rebasing to the current 3.0.x
> series to get other bug fixes.
I can see a case for having a new wxWidgets branch for fixes needed for
OpenMP.  I don't see a case for having a development branch that tracks
latest work by wxWidgets team on wxWidgets.  We want to be using stable
released software from them.

> I still think it would be good to nuke all the branches we don't care about.
I've trimmed it down a lot.

--James.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
audacity-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Updating wxWidgets fork

Darrell Walisser


On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 5:34 PM, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 2/13/2017 9:14 PM, Darrell Walisser wrote:

> What do you think about also rebasing to the current 3.0.3 branch?
 
Our experience to date has been that updating to new versions of
wxWidgets just creates new problems.  We have been reluctant to do so
unless we have strong reasons to.  If we gain something tangible from
rebasing off 3.0.3 then it could be worth doing.  What bug fixes that
actually affect us do we gain from?  GTK window resizing bug fixes?  At
the moment I'd rather the bugs we know than new ones.

​Turns out, 3.0.2 will work fine with some small changes. 


Note the doserrno call is replaced by the more standard errno that doesn't depend on msvcrt. The error codes are equivalent (ref: http://www.reactos.org/pipermail/ros-kernel/2003-November/000764.html)


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
audacity-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Updating wxWidgets fork

James Crook
On 2/14/2017 9:19 PM, Darrell Walisser wrote:
> https://github.com/audacity/wxWidgets/pull/2

Thanks Darrell.  This looks good, and will almost certainly be accepted
once Audacity 2.1.3 is released.

--James.





> On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 5:34 PM, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 2/13/2017 9:14 PM, Darrell Walisser wrote:
>>
>>> What do you think about also rebasing to the current 3.0.3 branch?
>> Our experience to date has been that updating to new versions of
>> wxWidgets just creates new problems.  We have been reluctant to do so
>> unless we have strong reasons to.  If we gain something tangible from
>> rebasing off 3.0.3 then it could be worth doing.  What bug fixes that
>> actually affect us do we gain from?  GTK window resizing bug fixes?  At
>> the moment I'd rather the bugs we know than new ones.
> Turns out, 3.0.2 will work fine with some small changes.
>
> https://github.com/audacity/wxWidgets/pull/2
>
> Note the doserrno call is replaced by the more standard errno that doesn't
> depend on msvcrt. The error codes are equivalent (ref:
> http://www.reactos.org/pipermail/ros-kernel/2003-November/000764.html)


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
audacity-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-devel