WASAPI + Software Playthrough

Stevethefiddle
Does not affect me as this is Windows only, but I just read Gale's advice:
"don't forget when recording WASAPI loopback or stereo mix to turn off
Transport > Software Playthrough"

I presume this is to avoid feedback (?) which lead me to consider: is
there 'ever' a case for enabling Software Playthrough when WASAPI
loopback is enabled? If not, wouldn't it be better for Software
Playthrough to be automatically disabled and greyed out when WASAPI
loopback is selected?

Then  I thought a bit more - what if you have multiple audio devices
and want to use one with WASAPI loopback, and monitor the recording
with Software Playthough via another device. So perhaps we should
disable (and grey out) Software Playthrough when WASAPI loopback is
selected AND the playback device is the loopback device. Are we able
to detect devices clearly enough on Windows to be able to do that?

Re: WASAPI + Software Playthrough

The loopback playback device could be a USB device, so the
suggestion would work better if Audacity was able to keep its
device list updated.

In practice (on my laptop anyway) it's rather luck of the draw if
Audacity can record loopback from a different device than the
Audacity playback device is set to. It will often error but
sometimes work with apparently the exact same settings in
Audacity and Windows Sound.

Gale