What are these auf. files and why don't they work?!

What are these auf. files and why don't they work?!

Stephanie
I've been working on a project for months now and I always save my project after every edit, but this time I went to open my project and all my work was flatlined! Yikes! I had no audio sound and no visual waveform, just a straight line where my waves previously existed. I get an (error 2: system cannot find the file specified). I haven't moved anything, ( I know Koz mentions that alot for being the reason sometimes Audacity can't find the files), and my aup.bak files are still in place. However, those hundreds of files in the data folder, (which also is still in place) contains all auf. files (not au.files) that don't work. There are supposed to be au.files in the data folder. I've tried the Crash Recovery Utility and that didn't work because it searches for au. files. What is the problem? Someone PLEASE help...I've lost alot of work. By the way, I'm using a desktop PC running Vista and Audacity 1.2.6 if that helps. I also read something about restoring the path to that file to its original location, ???  can someone please tell me how to do that?  I located the path in Notepad but how do I restore it to it's original location? Notepad just shows me where it is. Oh, and yes I know Audacity doesn't save music files, only projects but I need to find my projects. My music files are all gone as well (.mp3's,.wav's, and wma.'s) so I can't even recreate the project without starting from scratch. Any solutions are greatly appreciated.