What's new in NoteTracks; is it all good enough?

What's new in NoteTracks; is it all good enough?

Paul Licameli
Here's a reminder of what's new in the appearance and user interatcion with NoteTracks in 2.2.0, and needs documentation -- things other than the ability to play:

The channel buttons are drawn and highlighted for mouse-over.  You left-click to mute and un-mute and you right-click to solo and un-solo a channel.

They are colored as what some might think a very angry fruit salad but I am not aware anybody complained about it.  Should they be recolored, which I could allow now as just a theme tweak?

The stretch tool, which was present in 2.1.3 but not documented in the manual, is much improved.  Yes, there is yet a bug against it, but see the old behavior, which made little sense.

Then, there are improvements in the vertical ruler.  You can use shift+scrollwheel to slide the notes up and down and ctrl+scrollwheel change magnification.  Or on mac, the two-fingered horizontal swipe or the pinch and spread.

Thanks to Poke for the last, but I am still feeling dissatisfied with the smoothness of it, the wobbliness as you zoom in, and also, that when you resize a note track, it does not act analogously to a Wave track.  That is, it draws the piano keys in the same size, changing the number that are visible, rather than stretching the keys.

This is not to fault Poke, it's a consequence of how the drawing code was structured.

So these vertical ruler features might be a candidate for withdrawal from 2.2.0 unless some improvements are found in a hurry.

Re: What's new in NoteTracks; is it all good enough?

Peter Sampson-2

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 5:21 PM, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]> wrote:
Here's a reminder of what's new in the appearance and user interatcion with NoteTracks in 2.2.0, and needs documentation -- things other than the ability to play:

The channel buttons are drawn and highlighted for mouse-over.  You left-click to mute and un-mute and you right-click to solo and un-solo a channel.

Poke has already documented this on the Note Tracks page, in the "Channel toggles" section.

They are colored as what some might think a very angry fruit salad but I am not aware anybody complained about it.  Should they be recolored, which I could allow now as just a theme tweak?

The stretch tool, which was present in 2.1.3 but not documented in the manual, is much improved.  Yes, there is yet a bug against it, but see the old behavior, which made little sense.

There is a P1 in the Manual to work on this.  I'm planning to find some time for this, if Poke doesn't get to it.

Then, there are improvements in the vertical ruler.  You can use shift+scrollwheel to slide the notes up and down and ctrl+scrollwheel change magnification.  Or on mac, the two-fingered horizontal swipe or the pinch and spread.

Poke has done some work on documentin the Note Track Verical Scale on the Note Tracks page
http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Note_Tracks#Vertical_Scale

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 1:57 PM, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

PRL

I just did something about the vertical ruler at 207db5e5479ba9dfb55ab7265741537c4fb73143

Not every problem is solved, but I like the behavior better now, and I think magnification is not too fiddly to do now.

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 2:28 PM, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Now too a fix for the resizing problem, at 8279adc7979dfdc48ec209b1d85fe68425bba268