Windows 2.1.1 release candidate 2 available for testing

Windows 2.1.1 release candidate 2 available for testing

The below downloads for 2.1.1 release candidate 2 for Windows are now
available for testing:

http://www.fosshub.com/Audacity.html/audacity-win-2.1.1rc2.exe
http://www.fosshub.com/Audacity.html/audacity-win-2.1.1rc2.zip .

RC2 contains a fix for crashes in VST effects which occurred if you
changed settings in an effect then quit Audacity and used the effect
again. Please test.

Re: [Audacity-quality] Windows 2.1.1 release candidate 2 available for testing

Peter Sampson
Just given RC2 a full run through on my test schedule for LP transcription:

All tests passed with flying colours.

One comment:  I note that if you have your Effects Preferences set so that you have menus
"Grouped by Type" then you get two entries both labelled "Nyquist.
1) The first yields just the "Nyquist Prompt..."
2) The second entry yields the list of loaded/enabled Nyquist effects.

Surely it would be better and less confusing to differentiate by either labelling the first entry
as "Nyquist Prompt" - or move the Nyquist Prompt  entry into the list of Nyquist effects?

Should we be logging this on Bugzilla for 2.1.2?

Cheers,
Peter.
Peter Sampson
Tel: +44 (0)1625 524 780

Re: [Audacity-quality] Windows 2.1.1 release candidate 2 available for testing

Stevethefiddle
On 6 July 2015 at 17:18, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just given RC2 a full run through on my test schedule for LP transcription:
> http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Testing:_LP/tape_transcription
>
> All tests passed with flying colours.
>

> One comment:  I note that if you have your Effects Preferences set so that
> you have menus
> "Grouped by Type" then you get two entries both labelled "Nyquist.
> 1) The first yields just the "Nyquist Prompt..."
> 2) The second entry yields the list of loaded/enabled Nyquist effects.
>
> Surely it would be better and less confusing to differentiate by either
> labelling the first entry
> as "Nyquist Prompt" - or move the Nyquist Prompt  entry into the list of
> Nyquist effects?

When "grouped by type" we have built-in effects "above the line" and
additional plug-ins "below the line". The Nyquist Prompt is a built-in
effect, so it should be above the line.

On the other hand the Nyquist Prompt is somewhat is somewhat special
in that it is "an effect interface" rather than an effect in itself.
The "effect" that runs in the Nyquist Prompt is whatever script the
user loads, so rather than being "an effect" (singular) it represents
a large group of effects. In this respect I think it is logical
(though perhaps not obvious to most users) for it to be an "above the
line" item separate from the (complete) built-in effects.

If we were to move it, then I think it should be moved into the
"built-in" effects type and definitely not "below the line".

This may well become irrelevant when we have a full featured effects manager.

Steve

> Should we be logging this on Bugzilla for 2.1.2?
>
> Cheers,
> Peter.
> Peter Sampson
> Tel: +44 (0)1625 524 780
>
> ________________________________
> From: Gale Andrews <[hidden email]>
> To: "for identification, characterization, and prioritization of bugs."
> <[hidden email]>

Today I ran my timing test suite on 2.1.1 RC2 versus 2.1.0 (I have added some
extra items to this to cover the full effect usage in the LP transcription and
web-stream capture functionality tests - for results please see the attached
spreadsheet.

Nothing in particular stands markedly out this time:
1) Exporting WAV and exporting AAC seem to have got a little slower
these are marked in yellow

2) Some of the effects seem to have got a little faster (marked in green), notably
Amplify and Normalize.

But overall, looking good.

Cheers,
Peter.

Peter Sampson
Tel: +44 (0)1625 524 780

Timing tests 2-1-1 RC2 7Jul15.xls (30K) Download Attachment

Re: [Audacity-quality] Windows 2.1.1 release candidate 2 available for testing

Peter Sampson
I totally understand why Nyquist Prompt should be above the line (or
better still in a Tools menu).

What I think is wrong is having two entries in a menu with identical labelling
of "Nyquist" but with different results.  This is very bad (and unconventional)
UI design.

I still think the above the line entry in the menu should explicitly say "Nyquist
Prompt" and not just "Nyquist"

Steve wrote:
>This may well become irrelevant when we have a full featured effects manager.

As the "Three Sisters" say:  "Will we ever get to Moscow ..."

But in the meantime, what I suggest above could be a relatively simple fix surely?

Cheers,
Peter.

Peter Sampson
Tel: +44 (0)1625 524 780