Quantcast

Windows Development

Mark Young
Hi all,

I setup a new dev stack for 2.2.0 to start work on the help buttons project.  I have decided to use the new "Visual Studio 2017" rather than 2013 - however I have not re-targeted the project so this will remain compatible.  This is purely for my own use of the new IDE features in 2017.  This blog shows more information on how this is possible:

I noticed that the version number in win/compile.txt was wrong (2.1.2) so I have changed this to 2.2.0.

I would also like to add /win/.vs/ to the .gitignore file.  The .vs directory holds a number of files related to Visual Studio.  It wont have any impact to the project, but will save other developers having to contend with this if they too use VS 2017 in the manner I am.

Pull Request at:

Mark

Re: Windows Development

Paul Licameli
I understand there are some dark corners of C++11 not yet implemented in VS 2013, since done in VS 2017.  Things like constexpr and nothrow.  You just might break the build if you rely on the new things.

Should we consider making VS 2017 the required platform for building to get all the latest and best in the compiler?

PRL

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 11:24 AM, Mark Young <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Paul

With the way this works it builds using VS 2013 which is also on machine. I just get the added IDE goodness of VS 2017.  So shouldn't break :-)

That said, of there is a decision to move to 2017 then happy days.

Mark